White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Look at how poorly he's been playing left. Do we really want Mackowiak-style defense out in CF every day?

If anyone has been watching lately (and I know this doesn't matter to some), Pods has actually been playing fairly solid defense as of late.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
Um, didn't Pods play center prior to the Sox and isn't the whole point then putting Soriano in left?

He did. But I don't think the White Sox want anyone else but BA in CF. (Unless it were Andrew Jones or something.)

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
Look at how poorly he's been playing left. Do we really want Mackowiak-style defense out in CF every day?

With Soriano in LF, and even the possibility of Pods in CF, from a defensive standpoint, I'm getting sick to my stomach. Please don't mention Rob Mackowiak or I may throw up.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
Yeah and what about Braodway, Phillips, and Haeger? Not including our crop we drafted this year. I know they are a couple of years away, but as been said before, they are prospects until they do something in the majors.

Remember some of our other can't-misses: Rauch, Kip Wells, Ruffcorn, even Baldwin to a point. Who knows what Kenny's got in mind, but In Kenny I Trust...my 2005 World Series DVD says so.

:notworthy

I'm with you in a way. I don't want to give up McCarthy because that means we are picking up Garcia's option for next year and I would of rather have given a younger, cheaper, pitcher in Brandon a chance.

Too bad we couldn't move Garcia for Soriano, would free up money to extend Alfonso.

But KW knows what he is doing.

I don't think our lack of arms in the minors is a big issue. Our best prospects (Fields, Sweeney, Owens, etc) are all positions that we have filled with studs for the next few years (Crede, Dye, Konerko, Thome...)

We have a GM that is great at making trades. I think if we need pitching we can trade for it.

*assuming of course that we pick up crede's option/sign him and we do the same with Dye after the 2007 season.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
So certain are you.

He may have a good future, we'll see.

His future is about as guaranteed as McDougals. How long until he's on the DL again?

I have to admit, I'm very upset with Williams right now. Our already thin system has traded its best starting pitcher. If McCarthy is traded I'll be even more angry. That's unless we're unloading Soriano to a ballclub with a pitching prospect comparable to McCarthy.

I want to know if we're actually intent on developing a minor league system? Using it as bargaining chips is great and all, but having some pitchers available to replace our current rotation would have been nice as well.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

MacDougal makes great sense, even if KW once again "overpaid." McCarthy is not the obvious guy that is being replaced -- Sean Tracey is. Or, frankly, Ross Gload if we decide to carry 12 pitchers.

But it is contingent on MacDougal staying healthy more than 50% of the time, which he has been unable to do.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
With Soriano in LF, and even the possibility of Pods in CF, from a defensive standpoint, I'm getting sick to my stomach. Please don't mention Rob Mackowiak or I may throw up.

Sox aquire Everette, OF is Soriano, Pods, Everette :P

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
The more I think about it, I just can't see Anderson being moved with Pods goin gto center. The SOx know Pods defense is suspect and they know he can't play center. There's is no way that is part of the big plan.

It would make Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen two of the biggest hypocrites in the history of professional sports after spending the past few seasons preaching great team defense and strong pitching. Talk about a crock.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
His future is about as guaranteed as McDougals. How long until he's on the DL again?

I have to admit, I'm very upset with Williams right now. Our already thin system has traded its best starting pitcher. If McCarthy is traded I'll be even more angry. That's unless we're unloading Soriano to a ballclub with a pitching prospect comparable to McCarthy.

I want to know if we're actually intent on developing a minor league system? Using it as bargaining chips is great and all, but having some pitchers available to replace our current rotation would have been nice as well.

You seem to care more about the farm than the Sox.

I have to admit, I'm very upset with Williams right now. Our already thin system has traded it's best starting pitcher. If McCarthy is traded I'll be even more angry. That's unless we're unloading Soriano to a ballclub with a pitching prospect comparable to McCarthy.

MacDougal's health has got to be a question. We're going to be asking him to pitch down the stretch, in probably quite a few back to back games.

Trading McCarthy does upset me - yes, he's still a bit of a prospect, but he has shown the ability to get major league hitters out, and he would be in the front end of our rotation for the next several years.

I have to admit, I'm very upset with Williams right now. Our already thin system has traded it's best starting pitcher. If McCarthy is traded I'll be even more angry. That's unless we're unloading Soriano to a ballclub with a pitching prospect comparable to McCarthy.

Flash I want to win this year, I could care less that they traded Lumsten, who also was injuried before. If we could get rid of Gio, then we can part with Lummy. Gio >>>>>> Lummy

McDougal has a cannon for an arm, and is now a setup guy. Our backend of our bullpen is filthy.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)

WIN NOW! Why does everyone look so far into the future? You can always trade for arms later. Right now, you need to focus on winning a back to back World Series in 2006.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
:notworthy

I'm with you in a way. I don't want to give up McCarthy because that means we are picking up Garcia's option for next year and I would of rather have given a younger, cheaper, pitcher in Brandon a chance.

Too bad we couldn't move Garcia for Soriano, would free up money to extend Alfonso.

But KW knows what he is doing.

As far as I know, Garcia does not have an option next year...his contract is guaranteed next year.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Fine. If Pods isn't moving to CF and Soriano's not in left, just where does everybody think Soriano's going to be playing?

Soriano is in left, Rowand and Cameron are sharing center duties. ;)

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
Just caught the end of the report so don't know any details. Just said we are VERY close to getting Soriano.

Anyone else catch it?

What if the White Sox planted the rumors to drive up the price and either force Detroit to give up more or eliminate them from the Soriano race.

QUOTE(BigNDfan80 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
WIN NOW! Why does everyone look so far into the future? You can always trade for arms later. Right now, you need to focus on winning a back to back World Series in 2006.

I agree with this, and I think KW does too.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
It would make Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen two of the biggest hypocrites in the history of professional sports after spending the past few seasons preaching great team defense and strong pitching. Talk about a crock.

Wah, wah, wah.

They preached defense and strong pitching last year, and won it all. This year things (say, pitching not being nearly as strong as last year) and they feel they have to adapt a bit.

Why do you fear change so much? Not every team wins with pitching and defense. Some teams are made for that, some aren't. And, as the poor starts by Mark, Javy and Freddy pile up, maybe this year's version isn't made for the type of pitching and defense that last year's was.

We're in 2006 here. Change isn't a bad thing. Flip-flopping is, in some cases, good.