Danks wins White Sox fifth starter's job

Linnwood

QUOTE(GoGoWhiteSox! @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah Danks def deserved the 5th spot over Gavin Floyd, but why isn't anyone big on Adam Russel!! He pitched great all spring. Everyone says Danks has great mound presence, etc, how bout Russel standing in at like 6'7 and bringing the heat!!! I hope we see more of him in the future!!

I'm one of the few Soxtalk members who were willing to give Russell an extended opportunity to win the 5th starter's spot. As it is, after Danks was anointed the position Russell was pushed out of the start this afternoon and into relief. Which is a shame, considering pitching against Texas would have been an interesting challenge.

Let's say he did pitch against Texas. If he were to last 5 innings and give up three hits, one earned run, one walk, and five strikeouts he'd be comparable to Danks in nearly every category. It would have been his third spring training start (to Danks' second) and -- in my opinion -- an appropriate gauge of his overall talent

Even then, there's no guarantee Russell would have been selected. I just wish he would have been given a chance. Who knows would have happened? It certainly wouldn't have hurt anyone to delay the decision one day.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
I'm one of the few Soxtalk members who were willing to give Russell an extended opportunity to win the 5th starter's spot. As it is, after Danks was anointed the position Russell was pushed out of the start this afternoon and into relief. Which is a shame, considering pitching against Texas would have been an interesting challenge.

Let's say he did pitch against Texas. If he were to last 5 innings and give up three hits, one earned run, one walk, and five strikeouts he'd be comparable to Danks in nearly every category. It would have been his third spring training start (to Danks' second) and -- in my opinion -- an appropriate gauge of his overall talent

Even then, there's no guarantee Russell would have been selected. I just wish he would have been given a chance. Who knows would have happened? It certainly wouldn't have hurt anyone to delay the decision one day.

Russell was pushed to relief because Buehrle wanted to face Major leaguers, not because of the Danks decision:

"As far as Sunday goes, all I can do is throw strikes, get ahead of hitters and try to get some ground balls," said the 23-year-old Russell, who was bumped from his third spring start when Buehrle opted to throw against Major League competition. "I know that's what they are looking for from me.

I think Russell is going to be a huge sleeper for the Sox, whether that is in the pen or starting. I just hope they don't try to convert him halfway. Either make him a reliever or send him down to AAA to start.

QUOTE(GoGoWhiteSox! @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
Yeah Danks def deserved the 5th spot over Gavin Floyd, but why isn't anyone big on Adam Russel!! He pitched great all spring.

Because Russell has pitched a total of 55 innings above class a, and none in aaa. I love how everybody points to hoping we're not rushing Danks, yet pine for Russell.

(And I'm not picking on you btw, just the posters in general. Welcome to the site!! :))

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Danks interview:

Only tried to make a good impression in ST and hoped to get called up later. Friendly competition between him, Floyd, and Haeger. They played golf and cards everyday.

Never got nervous about the competition.

Describes himself as a strike thrower and trying to keep the ball on the ground.

Buehrle treated him very well and put him under his wing. Said he's never been treated better by a veteran.

Wow, that was basically pointless. Of course they were planning on talking to PK and he canceled, so this was on short notice.

Sounds like a confident guy. I like it.

I had the same thought upon hearing the interview. Danks reminds me of Brian Anderson in that sense.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)

Really funny article... My favorite quote was...

Prediction: If the numbers above hold for the regular season, I'm not thinking fans will console themselves by thinking at least they got David Paisano, too.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(GoGoWhiteSox! @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
Yeah Danks def deserved the 5th spot over Gavin Floyd, but why isn't anyone big on Adam Russel!! He pitched great all spring. Everyone says Danks has great mound presence, etc, how bout Russel standing in at like 6'7 and bringing the heat!!! I hope we see more of him in the future!!

He isn't pitching so great today... :D

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
boy, Floyd and Gio for Freddy just looks worse and worse and worse (shakes head)

Yeah, because Freddy and his 86 MPH fastball and 11.42 ERA are looking soooooooo good.

If either Floyd OR Gio end up being quality major league starters in the next year or two, then the deal was good. You need to consider that Freddy was going into his last year in contract anyway, and then we would have gotten zero from him, other than another year of declining quality for $10M.

ETA: Oh yeah, and Freddy's apparently injured shoulder is also preferable for you?

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 01:18 PM)
boy, Floyd and Gio for Freddy just looks worse and worse and worse (shakes head)

Again, until I get a better grip on Hideaway this season, I HOPE to god thats sarcasm again.

I don't see how anyone can disagree with that deal right now. We got one of our lefties that SoxTalk has been pining and drooling over getting back in Gio, a guy who has the tools to be good but hasn't put it together yet in Floyd, for a veteran righty who has lost the ability to be the power pitcher he once was, posted a stellar 2.42 WHIP this spring(ST or not, thats just bad! 8.2 IP, 15 H, 11 ER, 6 BB, 2 Ks).

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)

Getting anything for Freddy, let alone two prospects and freeing up payroll is pretty much an inverse relationship to his fastball. As long as Freddy is fighting to hit 85, the trade looks damned good. If he gets back into the 90's then we can talk.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)

Wow, Brandon's walk totals are crazy.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)

I would have loved to have seen Russell get more innings, but there just weren't many too go around with this many guys in the running. I think he will get some much needed conditioning and he will get the chance to come back either when someone falters this year, or next year when Buehrle is gone.

Congrats Danks.

No matter the circumstances regarding how he gets the job, or how we got him in the first place, or what we gave up to get him, I cheer first and foremost for laundru. Therefore, I'm going to now sit here and hope that Texas just gave us our Weaver. Go get em Kid. Earn yourself a nice fancy trophy this year.

The only thing that concerns me about Danks is that he is a two pitch pitcher right now. He has a low 90's fastball with movement, a nice curve but thats it. Hawk said during the last Rockies game that his change up is pretty much non-existent. makes me concerned that he may a tough time with batters after they have seen him a couple times.

But they said the same thing about Floyd as well, and he is struggling to throw strikes.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
The only thing that concerns me about Danks is that he is a two pitch pitcher right now. He has a low 90's fastball with movement, a nice curve but thats it. Hawk said during the last Rockies game that his change up is pretty much non-existent. makes me concerned that he may a tough time with batters after they have seen him a couple times.

But they said the same thing about Floyd as well, and he is struggling to throw strikes.

His change is pretty good, he might of not had it that specific day. He is far from a 2 pitch pitcher. Dont ever listen to Hawk for scouting advice on a Whitesox player.

His main thing, is to keep the ball down.

Danks looked really really good when I saw him pitch on Friday. He has great tempo, changes speeds, changes locations and gets ground balls (or at least he was in the start I watched).

I really was impressed with his make-up. In the same game I got to see Gavin Floyd who looked good in one inning, horrible in another, but overall I think Floyd still has a ways to go. His mechanics just look out of sync and he seems to have trouble putting together a consistent delivery.

Floyd is a good talent but he's the type of talent that needs more time in the minors (despite him having spent a lot of time there already).