Which pitchers get the final two bullpen spots?

caulfield12

Sisco got rocked today. Logan didn't give up a run, but two more walks...Ozzie was po'ed he walked three the other day in a minor league game, with them all being lefties.

Aardsma didn't give up a run, but his ERA is still at 7.20, the exact same as Sisco.

Coming into Monday, most would have argued that it would be best to send down Logan, let Floyd start in Charlotte (as first replacement for Danks or an injured or ineffective starter) and keep Sisco and Aardsma, the two "veterans."

Any hunches on how things will end up? I think they have to decide the final roster tonight or tomorrow morning before they head off for ATL.

It seems that it would be pretty hard to pass on Logan after he didn't give up a single run in "regulation" games and only one in a minor league game, I think it was over the weekend.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
Coming into Monday, most would have argued that it would be best to send down Logan...

It seems that it would be pretty hard to pass on Logan...

:huh:

I don't understand those two statements coexisting in one post, but I'll go with the latter.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
Sisco got rocked today. Logan didn't give up a run, but two more walks...Ozzie was po'ed he walked three the other day in a minor league game, with them all being lefties.

Aardsma didn't give up a run, but his ERA is still at 7.20, the exact same as Sisco.

Coming into Monday, most would have argued that it would be best to send down Logan, let Floyd start in Charlotte (as first replacement for Danks or an injured or ineffective starter) and keep Sisco and Aardsma, the two "veterans."

Any hunches on how things will end up? I think they have to decide the final roster tonight or tomorrow morning before they head off for ATL.

It seems that it would be pretty hard to pass on Logan after he didn't give up a single run in "regulation" games and only one in a minor league game, I think it was over the weekend.

Who said that? From what I recall, most people have been wanting Logan to be the second lefty.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
:huh:

I don't understand those two statements coexisting in one post, but I'll go with the latter.

You can use the same logic with Anderson. It would probably be best for his development to play everyday in Charlotte instead of as a defensive replacement and playing about 1/3rd of the time (exclusively against lefties).

Logan really left a bad taste in management's mouth, as well as some of his teammates apparently...the White Sox need to be 100% convinced he's ready this time, and I think OG is still worried about the walks against lefties at crunch time.

That might be enough to tip the balance back to Sisco, despite a 7.20 versus 0.00 ERA disparity, which is nothing like the disparity between BA and Erstad in CF.

Edited by caulfield12

Logan deserves a roster position, no question about it. I don't care how many lefties he's walked within the last several days. He's proven himself. If this organization can't recognize it, shame on them.

If we're basing a decision on results, it would probably be Logan and Sisco.

However, since this spring training seems to have adopted a theme of frustration, I'm going with Floyd and Sisco as the final two selections.

If Ozzie is worried about his second lefty walking hitters in crunch time then Andy Sisco will undoubtedly be in AAA to start the season, talk about completely erratic. Sisco probably has the worst control of any pitcher with any sort of shot at making the roster.

Boone walked a grand total of 2 letfies in 34 chances as a Knight last season. I really hope Ozzie isn't putting too much stock into 1 outing in a minor league game during the final week of the Spring.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
You can use the same logic with Anderson. It would probably be best for his development to play everyday in Charlotte instead of as a defensive replacement and playing about 1/3rd of the time (exclusively against lefties).

Logan really left a bad taste in management's mouth, as well as some of his teammates apparently...the White Sox need to be 100% convinced he's ready this time, and I think OG is still worried about the walks against lefties at crunch time.

That might be enough to tip the balance back to Sisco, despite a 7.20 versus 0.00 ERA disparity, which is nothing like the disparity between BA and Erstad in CF.

Not really my point, but whatever. Basically I agree with everyone, Logan should be a lock. I have no strong feelings on the second spot. I do think Aardsma will be good eventually.

So, assuming Logan is a lock, i base my decision on what's best for the team in the future.

What's best for Sisco in the future? IMO, it's best if he gets stretched out for a season in AAA and has a chance to get some outs, throw some strikes, and get regular work.

What's best for Floyd in the future? Bigger question here...is he better served by facing ML hitters or by getting 200 innigns? My gut says 200 innings to keep working on stuff with a different pitching coach. I'd rather him start in AAA as a starter, along with Sisco.

What's best for Aardsma? Well, he also has a lot of work to do, but in this bullpen, he can be somewhat hidden. He's already seen the big leagues, and may just need to get into a grove. Working junk innings against big league hitters might be the best thing for him. He'll get the same amount of work either way since he's a natural reliever.

I think I just convinced myself to give it to Aardsma so that the other 2 can work as starters.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
Hoping for: Logan and Bukvich

Likely to get: Logan and Aardsma

Sisco may still get in over Logan. I suppose its possible we see Logan AND Sisco - that's also a possibility.

Bukvich four seasons ago, maybe, but he's not quite the same pitcher since his injury problems.

No way KW will be able to pass over Aardsma, Sisco AND Floyd (three prize acquisitions that are supposed to make him look smart) for a non-roster invitee.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
Bukvich four seasons ago, maybe, but he's not quite the same pitcher since his injury problems.

No way KW will be able to pass over Aardsma, Sisco AND Floyd (three prize acquisitions that are supposed to make him look smart) for a non-roster invitee.

I'd say the two remaining spots will go to Logan and Aardsma. This will allow Sisco and Floyd to try to develop into starters in AAA.

Also, Perez will not make the final cut nor will Gonzales and the Sox bench will be Mackowiak, Cintron, Ozuna, Anderson and Molina.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
I'd say the two remaining spots will go to Logan and Aardsma. This will allow Sisco and Floyd to try to develop into starters in AAA.

Also, Perez will not make the final cut nor will Gonzales and the Sox bench will be Mackowiak, Cintron, Ozuna, Anderson and Molina.

Of course, no Gio Gonzalez nor Andy/Angel Gonzalez.

So now we have seven starters ticketed for AAA...

Sisco

Floyd

Russell

Broadway

Phillips

Gonzalez

Haeger

Something's gotta give. Maybe they trade Phillips and use a six man rotation due to the presence of Russell, Gio and Sisco?

Well, at least it will be interesting.

Edited by caulfield12

Ii think everyone is in agreement that Logan and Aardsma should be up.

And to me that's the best for the short - term and the long - term.

EDIT: Although you could argue that Aardsma doesn't deserve a spot. But would Floyd really ouproduce him in the pen? Would rather let Aardsma work out his kinks with Coop, getting mop-up duty.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
Of course, no Gio Gonzalez nor Andy/Angel Gonzalez.

So now we have seven starters ticketed for AAA...

Sisco

Floyd

Russell

Broadway

Phillips

Gonzalez

Haeger

Something's gotta give. Maybe they trade Phillips and use a six man rotation due to the presence of Russell, Gio and Sisco?

Well, at least it will be interesting.

Russel should be headed to Birmingham. Gonzalez might be going there as well.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 05:37 AM)
Russel should be headed to Birmingham. Gonzalez might be going there as well.

Correct on Russell...

Right-hander Adam Russell, who made a lasting impression on the White Sox as a non-roster invite during Spring Training, will start for the Major League squad Thursday night for the exhibition contest in Birmingham, Ala. Russell is expected to be part of the Barons' 2007 starting rotation. "But I don't want him facing us," said Guillen with a laugh.

That makes it six, and if Gio is in BHam or if Phillips gets moved... you have the five.

Also, latest from Sox site seems to indicate that Floyd is likely headed to Charlotte, and Bukvich was reassigned. So that leaves Sisco, Boooooooone and Aardsma for the last 2 spots. And Ozzie is having a "meeting" this morning to sort it out.

Of those three, I'm hoping for Logan and Aadrsma. But I have a sinking feeling that Ozzie is now leaning towards Sisco, who clearly needs some work.