(Breaking News) 2016 Olympic Announcement

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
I vote for replacing the "El" with a more modern "cleaner" looking transportation system.

The EL renovations may even be done by then........

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
I bet you stay in the city if the city hosts the Olympics. this is kinda a once in a life time thing that will happen in Chicago.

You can reportedly make thousands of dollars for renting a residence out for 2 weeks.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 11:41 PM)
As much as I want Chicago and the USA to get the olympics, and most importantly put Chicago back on the map.... this would suck for all Chicagoans when 2016 comes around.

Me and some friends (assuming we're all alive then) have already made plans to go to Hawaii for that summer -- assuming we get the games. No way in hell I'm going though the mayhem/chaos that will come with the olympics being held here.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 01:03 AM)
Me and some friends (assuming we're all alive then) have already made plans to go to Hawaii for that summer -- assuming we get the games. No way in hell I'm going though the mayhem/chaos that will come with the olympics being held here.

But traffic is so much fun around and in the city right now!

Do you think we could get the Sox games all moved out of town for that summer. I would be cool if they just moved to Kane County, or better yet, the Rockford ballpark.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 01:38 AM)
Rio will win.

I think it will come down to Chicago or Rio--but people love Chicago. I think it has a great international reputation, and I've yet to talk to a person from another country who visits Chicago and is disappointed.

Plus, doesn't Rio have a bit of a crime problem?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
I think it will come down to Chicago or Rio--but people love Chicago. I think it has a great international reputation, and I've yet to talk to a person from another country who visits Chicago and is disappointed.

Plus, doesn't Rio have a bit of a crime problem?

But the world hates America.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
I bet you stay in the city if the city hosts the Olympics. this is kinda a once in a life time thing that will happen in Chicago.

More like a once in the history of the Olympics kind of thing.

That's a long time.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
I think it's between us and Rio.

We have the advantage of having such a melting pot city. Irish, Greek, Italian, Polish and virtually every other country will have neighborhoods of fans already here to cheer for them.

great point

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
I think it's between us and Rio.

We have the advantage of having such a melting pot city. Irish, Greek, Italian, Polish and virtually every other country will have neighborhoods of fans already here to cheer for them.

South America always makes me feel like there is security risk. We also have the benefit of a huge international airport, a large public transportation system, and an awesomely crooked Mayor.

Show the IOC the crime report from Rio first. Im kind of on the fence about what would happen if we got it.

It would be great for the local economy and would force the city to be cleaned up. It would also make it very hard buy in the city for the next decade because real estate is gonna sky rocket.

Also the crowds would get annoying pretty quickly. Oh well, its not for a long, long time so I guess we'll have to see what happens.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
It would be great for the local economy and would force the city to be cleaned up. It would also make it very hard buy in the city for the next decade because real estate is gonna sky rocket.

For those who are already home owners, that is a huge positive.

Buy vacant land south of 43rd street all the way out to Kankakee.

Jesse Jr. can go all out for this third airport.

Daley can go after his cross-town highway now.

That major transportation project connecting all forms of public transportation can also be worked in.

What is the negative out come of the Olympics coming to town....traffic is bad for two weeks?

This is a huge deal and economic boom for the city's union labor as the housing market tanks. Also think about how much funding will go into the police, fire and other public entites t oimprove the infrastructure. All of this is a bad thing. Sure there will be waste involoved but no greater than the schooling systems currently in place.

A great Olympics can benefit Chicago for the next 50 years and change the city flag, adding one more star.

I really think they chould build an indoor stadium to be used for late season football, and early/late season baseball by both tthe cubs and Sox, Final Fours and the Superbowl. Hell, shot for a BCS game.