204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Swisher trade?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
I guess that is what I am asking.

(Also, is the Sox farm system really that bad? I know people like to b****... but like how would one rank it with the rest against the rest of MLB?)

Don't have a source, but I believe only the Astros were ranked below us in a recent poll. But after parting with our three brightest ...

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
Don't have a source, but I believe only the Astros were ranked below us in a recent poll. But after parting with our three brightest ...

Well if anything that just reenforces that this was a bad move.

Only time will tell.

Maybe they are higher on Egbert than I thought.

I voted no, because I think this deal could have been done with less going to Oakland. I really think Gio-Adam Russell-Sweeney would have gotten it done just as easily. I don't like giving up the top two arms in the organization (not pitcher, but arms) for an outfielder unless he can play plus defensive CF. It's a very nice deal for Oakland.

Oddly, a Quentin-Swisher-Dye OF next year is mildly attractive. And the Sox having another 100 walk guy to go along with Thome is good as well. I do like Swisher's contract for the Sox as well.

I might be talked into liking this trade. If someone told me that Gio's stats were just Birmingham-related and he really wasn't developing a third pitch and his curveball command was not good enough to throw in the majors, then, OK, I could see it.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
Being the #1 prospect in the White Sox system is a lot like being the best athlete in the special olympics. Compared to the criteria of the White Sox farm system, he may be the best, but where would he rank in a mid to high level famr system?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3179423

The A's will have three more established minor leaguers to add to their farm system.

Gonzalez, 22, pitched for Double-A Birmingham last year and led minor league baseball with 185 strikeouts. He went 9-7 with a 3.18 ERA in 27 starts and was selected to the Southern League midseason and postseason All-Star teams. The White Sox acquired Gonzalez as a compensation pick -- the 38th selection overall of the 2004 amateur draft.

The 21-year-old De Los Santos went 9-4 with a 2.40 ERA in 15 starts and six relief appearances for Class A Kannapolis in 2007. He was picked as the South Atlantic League's top prospect and was also a midseason and postseason All-Star.

In addition, he made five starts for Class-A Winston-Salem and had a combined record of 10-5 record with a 2.65 ERA.

Sweeney, a 22-year-old left hitter, was among Chicago's top prospects going into last season, when he batted .270 with 10 home runs and 47 RBIs in 105 games for Triple-A Charlotte. He also hit .200 with a home run and five RBIs in 15 games for the White Sox.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
miggy cabrera k'd 127 times last year...HE SUCKS

Miguel Cabrera is in his early twenties, and is already one the premier hitters in the major leagues. Do you have a brain? You saying he sucks was the most insanely idiotic thing I've honestly ever heard in my life. You should be thrown out of this forum.

QUOTE(wdson01 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Miguel Cabrera is in his early twenties, and is already one the premier hitters in the major leagues. Do you have a brain? You saying he sucks was the most insanely idiotic thing I've honestly ever heard in my life. You should be thrown out of this forum.

I think it was a sarcastic remark, mainly going off the comment above about how the amount of K's a person has relates to their talent level.

How do people think that we could have done this trade without DLS?

Im sure he was the most important piece.

It wasnt like:

Sox: Were interested in Nick Swisher

A's: We like Gio and Sweeney, any chance you could sweeten it a little more?

Sox: Sure why dont you take our top prospect.

My guess is that the A's were asking for more than the 3 spects we gave away, they probably wanted guys like Fields etc.

Kenny could have probably traded DLS and Fields....

But that would be way worse.

QUOTE(TheKillerB's @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
The only reason I voted yes on this is because somehow Kenny Williams traded Gio twice and received Thome and Swisher in return. Even if Gio does pan out, that alone is semi-impressive.

that's a funny point, though, he has not been the centerpieces in the deal.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Our terrible minor league system just got a hell of a lot worse today thanks to this.
Yeah it does, but the minor league system doesn't win championships.

It might be sexy to have a deep farm system, but very few teams have won with that alone. You can either use the farm system to groom players, or you can use them as trading assets. Obviously KW went the latter route.

Also, the Sox now have veterans to flip at the trading deadline if things don't work out.

Plus I miss the smaller-ball 2005 philosophy. I'm tired of home runs. I'd rather see a bunt at this point. Not that we have anybody who could run it out... :(

Please, please, please, shut the hell up about this. If you're not doing this for flame bait, you're a fool because it's been debunked many, many times for you personally. Even your favorite player, Aaron Rowand, was a terrible bunter.

The 2005 White Sox won because of pitching.

The 2005 White Sox hit 200 homers

The 2007 White Sox failed to hit 200 homers and had a "grinderball" mentality. How'd that work out again?

Home runs > bunting

Getting on base and not making an out >>bunting

Strong Starting pitching >> Bunting

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
Yeah it does, but the minor league system doesn't win championships.

It might be sexy to have a deep farm system, but very few teams have won with that alone. You can either use the farm system to groom players, or you can use them as trading assets. Obviously KW went the latter route.

Also, the Sox now have veterans to flip at the trading deadline if things don't work out.

I know it doesn't win championships, but it would be nice for once to have a good legit prospect who doesn't get traded AND pans out, which i believe in my own opinion that DLS or Gio could have done. Sweeny too, just not as much confidence.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
Please, please, please, shut the hell up about this. If you're not doing this for flame bait, you're a fool because it's been debunked many, many times for you personally. Even your favorite player, Aaron Rowand, was a terrible bunter.

The 2005 White Sox won because of pitching.

The 2005 White Sox hit 200 homers

The 2007 White Sox failed to hit 200 homers and had a "grinderball" mentality. How'd that work out again?

Home runs > bunting

Getting on base and not making an out >>bunting

Strong Starting pitching >> Bunting

All very true, but at some time, this team is going to need to move runners over, hit-and-run, first-and-third-'em, etc. And last I checked, home runs didn't do that. And the 2005 White Sox could do both...hit home runs AND play "small ball."

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
KW doesn't know which direction to go. Rebuild or play for this season?

What's the point of developing guys if you never use them?

When you lose 90+ games with vets who are past their prime and you have a bloated payroll; the last thing you do is trade your top 2 mlb-potential arms for a guy who - granted, is a good player - is not a solution to your age/payroll problems.

He should have dumped Contreras, Dye, Konerko and Thome and rebuilt.

I can handle a future of 3 or 4 years of 90 losses if you are making a considered effort to rebuild, but KW is not.

He is using them....to obtain major league talent. One of the purposes of a farm system is to use them as trade bait. KW has said many times that the reason that they draft so many pitchers is that everybody wants pitching and I will have pieces that other GMs want.

I usually am of the opinion that you hold on to promising pitchers instead of obtaining bats. However, an on base machiene, signed to a long term, cheap contract is too hard to pass up. He will be here through 2012. HE can be the future more than some of the other prospects because he is a quality MLB player.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
I have a feeling that even the people who don't like this trade are going to like having Swisher on this team.

I'm not that worried about what's coming back, I'm a little more worried about the fact that DLS is going out.