So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
I'm not saying trade your old guys. I'm saying trade your old guys WHEN it's relatively clear you are not a legitimate contender and can still get some return for them to help you in the future. What good will it do the Sox to keep the same core of players if they're going to most likely finish 3rd at best?

What good will it do to play the games with the best talent you can field?

Keep your fan base.

Grow your fan base.

Catch lightening and perhaps win.

google White Flag Trade to see what giving up does.

Currently, using that logic, 8-10 teams in all of baseball should be keeping their players and the rest should be trading their highest value players. Anyone in the AL East, outside Boston and NY, should never keep any player with decent value.

At some point you have to complete. Just this century, our best ranked teams leaving spring training failed and we won with a team that was not that respected.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Anderson just hit a HR. He's really making a case for himself this spring.

I still think their best team is Swisher leading off and playing left and Anderson in center. Neither Quintin or Owens has produced enough in their professional careers to make me believe otherwise.

Darin Erstad really f***ed this team up.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
I still think their best team is Swisher leading off and playing left and Anderson in center. Neither Quintin or Owens has produced enough in their professional careers to make me believe otherwise.

I dunno, at least right now, I'm starting to think that having himself sent down to the minors in favor of a scrub, combined with struggling with injuries for a season, might not have been that bad of a thing for Anderson...if it forced him to refocus and start listening to the management...

Defensively there's no question, any OF with Anderson in CF is better than any other OF we could put together. Hell, that might be better defensively than an OF of Quentin/Swisher/Owens/Dye (yes, 4 people). If he can give us a solid performance with the bat like what we saw from him in AAA...then that is a solid OF.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)

I have always said I dont think Anderson has been given a fair shake. Not trying to draw TOO big of a comparison here, but remember what happened to Aaron Rowand? Seems like for 3 years in a row they seemed to find "another" person to fill his spot. Then he got the job and took off. I think Anderson just needs some time. They havent given it to him. He started to produce towards the end of 06 then all of a sudden he was the plague in 07.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)

Well I'd say Quentin has produced more than BA both in the minors and in the majors "when healthy".

Unfortunately for Carlos, he still seems to be getting over that shoulder injury.

Right now the above scenario, wouldn't kill me, but I'd still prefer Quentin in left, Swisher in CF leading off, and either BA or Owens as the 4th OF.

Owens has hit better at the MLB level than Brian has, so what makes you think Brian is a better option?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Uribe's hit better than Richar. You think he's the better option, then?

Oh, im sorry, I didnt know we were comparing apples to oranges. Maybe compare two prospects like Ramirez and Richar, then you will be more on track.

What are the papers and talk show hosts sayin' about BA's torrid spring?

I think it'd be a great story if he won the job.

Of course, if he hits .400 with power in spring training, what are the odds

he hits the ball right at people the first two weeks of the regular season, hits about .200 and

everybody is on his butt?

I'm intrigued by BA's progress? That would be an amazing story if he becomes a star.

Oh, im sorry, I didnt know we were comparing apples to oranges. Maybe compare two prospects like Ramirez and Richar, then you will be more on track.

You are comparing apples to oranges as Anderson had the pressure to play CF for the defending world champs whereas Owens came up and played during garbage time and still had to have a great September to beat Brian's 2006 OPS+ by a whopping 2 points.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)

Oh, I see. We're limiting discussion to those who only have a handful of at bats and are barely different and both suck in that small time and of course those are the only numbers that are allowed in the discussion. Okay, as long as you're relying on such reliable numbers, I guess I have no counterargument.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Oh, I see. We're limiting discussion to those who only have a handful of at bats and are barely different and both suck in that small time and of course those are the only numbers that are allowed in the discussion. Okay, as long as you're relying on such reliable numbers, I guess I have no counterargument.

Or you could compare a veteran to a second year player who came up and played about a half of baseball, that makes sense. I mean, why wouldnt it?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
You are comparing apples to oranges as Anderson had the pressure to play CF for the defending world champs whereas Owens came up and played during garbage time and still had to have a great September to beat Brian's 2006 OPS+ by a whopping 2 points.

You mean having one of the best performing offensive teams in the major leagues around you and basically zero pressure to carry any sort of the offensive load vs a guy who played half a season and outhit the other player by 43 points of batting avg and 34 points of OBP?.

Brian Anderson screwed this team up by having the season he did in 2006, combined with his superman attitude, which made Williams feel like he had to bring in Erstad.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
Brian Anderson screwed this team up by having the season he did in 2006, combined with his superman attitude, which made Williams feel like he had to bring in Erstad.

Pure fiction. The first half of the year, he wasn't hitting, but the White Sox were in first place. In July and August combined he hit over .300 with an OPS of .800 when the team was fading. What did the 2006 White Sox in was the pitching. Vazquez was bad, Buerhle was bad, Politte and Cotts were horrible, Jenks spent the winter of 05/06 at Krispy Kreme and wasn't ready when the bell rung. Contreras hurt his back and went south. It wasn't Anderson. The manager said in spring training he didn't care what Anderson hit, he was concerned about his defense. He provided defense. Unfortunately he couldn't position himself in the bleachers.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Pure fiction. The first half of the year, he wasn't hitting, but the White Sox were in first place. In July and August combined he hit over .300 with an OPS of .800 when the team was fading. What did the 2006 White Sox in was the pitching. Vazquez was bad, Buerhle was bad, Politte and Cotts were horrible, Jenks spent the winter of 05/06 at Krispy Kreme and wasn't ready when the bell rung. Contreras hurt his back and went south. It wasn't Anderson. The manager said in spring training he didn't care what Anderson hit, he was concerned about his defense. He provided defense. Unfortunately he couldn't position himself in the bleachers.

How is it "pure fiction"? None of Vazquez, Buerhle, Politte, Cotts, Contreras, or Jenks play CF, so what do they have to do with bringing in Erstad? If Anderson preforms, Darrin Erstad isn't brought to the Sox in 2007. The pitching problems are the reasons guys like MacDougal, Sisco, and company were brought to the team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:02 AM)
How is it "pure fiction"? None of Vazquez, Buerhle, Politte, Cotts, Contreras, or Jenks play CF, so what do they have to do with bringing in Erstad? If Anderson preforms, Darrin Erstad isn't brought to the Sox in 2007. The pitching problems are the reasons guys like MacDougal, Sisco, and company were brought to the team.

Because Anderson wasn't the problem in 2006 and CF wasn't the reason the team lost 90 games last year. Erstad blows, but he did not screw up the White Sox, he didn't cost much and certainly didn't cost them 20 games. Willie Mays in his prime could have been patrolling CF at USCF last year and the team would have been horrible. Erstad just performed and got injured like everyone except Ozzie and KW knew he would but they insisted they need a "grinder".

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:32 AM)
Because Anderson wasn't the problem in 2006 and CF wasn't the reason the team lost 90 games last year. Erstad blows, but he did not screw up the White Sox, he didn't cost much and certainly didn't cost them 20 games. Willie Mays in his prime could have been patrolling CF at USCF last year and the team would have been horrible. Erstad just performed and got injured like everyone except Ozzie and KW knew he would but they insisted they need a "grinder".

If the Sox win 90 games, and Anderson still preforms like a egotistical amatuer, he still gets replaced in 2007. The Sox record has nothing to do with that. Kenny goes out and replaces parts that need fixing. Anderson couldn't handle CF like a major leaguer in 2006, so the Sox had to resort to Darin Erstad in 2007. The failure of Erstad on top of the failure of Anderson led to the Sox flushing their minor leagues for Quinten and Swisher. The one constant in that trend is that if Brian Anderson could have stepped to the plate, none of the next steps would have happened. That is the first domino in that line. I would call requiring the Sox to aquire all of those OFs screwing up the Sox. I would much rather have Anderson playing at his earlier potential, along with Chris Carter, Gio Gonzalez, Faustino De Los Santos, and Ryan Sweeney still in our system.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
If the Sox win 90 games, and Anderson still preforms like a egotistical amatuer, he still gets replaced in 2007. The Sox record has nothing to do with that. Kenny goes out and replaces parts that need fixing. Anderson couldn't handle CF like a major leaguer in 2006, so the Sox had to resort to Darin Erstad in 2007. The failure of Erstad on top of the failure of Anderson led to the Sox flushing their minor leagues for Quinten and Swisher. The one constant in that trend is that if Brian Anderson could have stepped to the plate, none of the next steps would have happened. That is the first domino in that line. I would call requiring the Sox to aquire all of those OFs screwing up the Sox. I would much rather have Anderson playing at his earlier potential, along with Chris Carter, Gio Gonzalez, Faustino De Los Santos, and Ryan Sweeney still in our system.

So if Quentin, Owens and or Swisher are just as successful if not more than the names you mentioned, remember you said Brian Anderson screwed up the White Sox. And if they all perform great, maybe you change your mind and say Brian Anderson fixed the White Sox. You probably also blame him for the economy, 9/11 and so on. You talk out of both sides of your mouth because you think KW does no wrong. You say Kenny goes out and replaces parts that need fixing, so the Sox had to resort to Darin Erstad. Appears he replaced a part that needed fixing with another part that was beyond fixing. What screwed up the Sox was trying to fix holes with guys who were worse. See the bullpen. KW could have kept the prospects if he wanted to shell out more money, but once again, he misread the market. His market correction never occurred/