When did you start feeling old?

kjshoe04

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I see undergrads walking around just wearing leggings and I think--no! they aren't pants! you need to wear pants! pants are not an option! leggings they aren't pants.

Also, whenever I find out one of my friends (or friends' wives) is pregnant, and I think, oh, wow, they're married and financially stable. I guess it's not surprising they're pregnant (but I'm still always surprised).

when one of my doctoral student was wearing a "White Sox Winning Ugly 1983" T-shirt and I told her it was a great T-shirt and asked if it was original. She laughed and said she wasn't born until 1986.

I've felt old but this actually put a number on it. I have doctoral students who were born after I graduated from undergraduate school. :crying

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
when one of my doctoral student was wearing a "White Sox Winning Ugly 1983" T-shirt and I told her it was a great T-shirt and asked if it was original. She laughed and said she wasn't born until 1986.

I've felt old but this actually put a number on it. I have doctoral students who were born after I graduated from undergraduate school. :crying

What's your research area?

I think I'm probably one of the older posters on here so I don't know if a lot of you can identify with this yet, but I definitely felt old when I realized that all of the players on the professional teams I followed were significantly younger. You grow up idolizing and looking up to your sports heroes as gods, and then one day it hits you that all of them (to use an Ozzie-ism) are "kids." Its a little depressing to think that John Danks was an infant when I was in college.

• When I could no longer tell if a high school student was a Freshman or Senior
  • When I no longer cares about putting "hair on my chest" instead cared about hair everywhere else.
  • Various times on fields, rinks, courts, and pools
  • When I couldn't "pop" up on a surfboard
  • When I was too old to apply for a couple positions
  • When I see us repeating mistakes and not learning from the history of my youth
  • When I had to ask my kids what something means

At 37 I dont feel old. But I am getting older. For me its about recovery time on physical activity. I can run my 5k race, of course not as fast as when I was 25. When I was 25, I used to finish the race and was ready to have an entire day. Now I need to hit the couch and recover. The new aches and pains I never had. The ability to recover from small injuries. This is what tells me more than looking in a mirror or anything that I am in fact getting older. Now my kids are a godsend. Playing around with them, they keep you moving and they allow you to reflect on your youth.

s***, Im 27 and my recovery time from sports or even injuries gets longer every day. I got advice from an older family member awhile back that I think made a large impact on me. He said that he wishes he was more active when his body could actually perform the way he wanted it to. He mentioned that people spend alot of time working and watching TV and not enough enjoying the time when you can actually play sports, or run races or even just be active all the time. My advice to everyone is that you shouldnt take your physical health for granted because one day, its gone.