Sox Sign 2B Jayson Nix

OilCan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
I'm just going to say very quickly that I don't understand how Gavin Floyd was "stolen." He had fallen out of favor in Philadelphia and was included with a talented pitcher who had stunk in AA the year before for a pitcher who had thrown 200+ innings the previous 6 years, had World Series experience, and was coming off a solid season. Perhaps KW knew he was injured and he dealt him for chump change, but that's more than a bit unethical as it is. KW traded Freddy Garcia for the best package he felt he had on the table, and Gavin Floyd was a highly valued commodity coming back to the White Sox.

Carlos Quentin and Bobby Jenks were stolen much moreso than Gavin Floyd was. The Sox gave up an A-ball slugger and a 40-man roster spot respectively for the aforementioned; compare that with a guy who helped the White Sox win a World Series. You tell me who was more stolen.

But Blum helped win us a World Series! So did El Duque, and many other guys like Timo Perez. We either let many of those guys go outright or traded them for scraps, I dont think that argument is a good one at all. A GM should go after guys who can perform in the clutch, but it shouldnt be the main reason to go after them unless they are jsut a role type player. If a GM was able to acquire a team full of ARods and Sabathias, and just dominate in the regular season, and then when playoffs came around they stunk, would he really be blamed? I dont think he should, he should go after the best possible players and its up to them to perform up to their ability consistently.

Anywho, Freddy was a pitcher breaking down, or at the very least was looked upon as a fatigued pitcher at the time, so his value wasnt that great. Floyd's value was basically gone, atleast thats the feeling I got when we got him, and Gio was the real prize in the deal with the hope that Coop could fix Floyd.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
I think his production is much more valuable lower in the order. I have no problem with guys that get on at a .330 or .340 clip that hit for damn good power, ala Reyes or Rollins, but Alexei hasn't even shown that amount of patience at the plate. To me, he's a good #2 or #6 hitter, and I really don't think I'd put him anywhere else.

I'd love to see Alexei in the #2 spot next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Yep, he's nothing more than a AAAA player. No way we go into next season with a Getz/Nix platoon.

Seriously, 2003-2004 is a long ways away from 2008. The reality is he's not much of a prospect. He has some athletic ability and could project nicely off the bench but I wouldn't count on him being anything more than that and I'm pretty damn sure Kenny isn't expecting more than that either. Sure he has some tools and could turn into a fluke type of pick-up but you can't make a hobby of banking on those type of pickups. I still anticipate the Sox making a serious run at a 2B or a CF that could lead off. If they get one, you'll see them potentially go cheap at the other position (ie, Getz at 2B).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)
I'm just going to say very quickly that I don't understand how Gavin Floyd was "stolen." He had fallen out of favor in Philadelphia and was included with a talented pitcher who had stunk in AA the year before for a pitcher who had thrown 200+ innings the previous 6 years, had World Series experience, and was coming off a solid season. Perhaps KW knew he was injured and he dealt him for chump change, but that's more than a bit unethical as it is. KW traded Freddy Garcia for the best package he felt he had on the table, and Gavin Floyd was a highly valued commodity coming back to the White Sox.

Carlos Quentin and Bobby Jenks were stolen much moreso than Gavin Floyd was. The Sox gave up an A-ball slugger and a 40-man roster spot respectively for the aforementioned; compare that with a guy who helped the White Sox win a World Series. You tell me who was more stolen.

I realize Quentin was ridiculosu this past season but its hard to say he was stolen at the time of the trade. Chris Carter is an above average power hitting prospect (40+HR Power and he hit for ridiculous power this season in the minors). Problem is he has absolutely no position.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
I think his production is much more valuable lower in the order. I have no problem with guys that get on at a .330 or .340 clip that hit for damn good power, ala Reyes or Rollins, but Alexei hasn't even shown that amount of patience at the plate. To me, he's a good #2 or #6 hitter, and I really don't think I'd put him anywhere else.

That and he hasn't shown the ability to be a real threat on the basepaths. He's much more valuable down in the 6-7 spot.

At least this guy I think it said was a No. 44 overall pick in the draft. KW is hoping the proverbial change of scenery will make the guy blossom. Sounds like a guy who will definitely open in the minors and will have to impress to ever get a shot with us. Unless Oz really likes what he sees in spring training.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
I realize Quentin was ridiculosu this past season but its hard to say he was stolen at the time of the trade. Chris Carter is an above average power hitting prospect (40+HR Power and he hit for ridiculous power this season in the minors). Problem is he has absolutely no position.

I doubt you'll find a person on this board who had any beef with the Quentin trade at the time, even considering what both had done in their careers up to that point. There were damn near hundreds on here who hated the Garcia trade because the Sox didn't get enough value for him.

I guess that indicates stolen to me; even if Williams wanted THE Carlos Quentin, he was acquired relatively cheaply; Gavin Floyd, seeing as how Gio was traded the next offseason, essentially cost a "durable" innings eater. The Sox valued Gavin very highly, and I don't see how he was stolen.

It's a small point that's really not worth arguing, I just don't like people suggesting how Gavin was stolen given the cost, even if he was the "afterthought" (though I don't think he was ever the afterthought, and I think there are people on the board who will agree with that statement). Quentin was the quintessential buy low, expect high type of player. The Sox gave up a lot to acquire Floyd. That's really all I'm saying.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 04:29 AM)
I doubt you'll find a person on this board who had any beef with the Quentin trade at the time, even considering what both had done in their careers up to that point. There were damn near hundreds on here who hated the Garcia trade because the Sox didn't get enough value for him.

I guess that indicates stolen to me; even if Williams wanted THE Carlos Quentin, he was acquired relatively cheaply; Gavin Floyd, seeing as how Gio was traded the next offseason, essentially cost a "durable" innings eater. The Sox valued Gavin very highly, and I don't see how he was stolen.

It's a small point that's really not worth arguing, I just don't like people suggesting how Gavin was stolen given the cost, even if he was the "afterthought" (though I don't think he was ever the afterthought, and I think there are people on the board who will agree with that statement). Quentin was the quintessential buy low, expect high type of player. The Sox gave up a lot to acquire Floyd. That's really all I'm saying.

Lol well I can just counter with that we didnt give up a lot for Floyd. We gave up a starter who in the first place had an era in the mid 4's which isn't anything special. It was obvious during the season he was throwing junk and he lost a lot of what he had just a season ago, and he was on a contract year. So we gave up a pitcher who struggled his last season was on the downside of his career and only had 1 year left on contract, to me thats giving up a little. I do think the whitesox targeted Floyd in the trade but Gio Gonzalez was the definite focal point.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
because it's the first interesting thing to happen. and we're bored.

You are right-but the degree of interest and discussion is a by-product of previous "finds" by the organization.

Wonder if he was on their draft list when he was available back in the day?

Jayson Nix is changing Sox in an attempt to rejuvenate his career. The Rockies' opening day second baseman has signed with the Chicago White Sox, according to contract details obtained by The Denver Post. With Kazuo Matsui lost as a free agent to the Houston Astros, Nix won the position in spring training, edging out Clint Barmes, the current starter, and Marcus Giles. Nix, however, got off to a slow start offensively and was designated for assignment at the end of April. He rebounded in Triple-A and was eventually chosen for Team USA in the Beijing Olympics. He was injured in China, hit in the left eye on a bunt attempt against Cuba. Nix, 26, was the 44th overall selection in the 2001 draft. Nix will make $400,000 if he is on the White Sox's major-league roster."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)

KW traded a pitcher who made how many starts for the Phillies? And how long was he around? And he got Gio-which turned into Swish, and a #2 starter out of it. How is that not stealing talent? Carter brought more to his team than Freddy ever did. That is what is called a steal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
KW traded a pitcher who made how many starts for the Phillies? And how long was he around? And he got Gio-which turned into Swish, and a #2 starter out of it. How is that not stealing talent? Carter brought more to his team than Freddy ever did. That is what is called a steal.

I'm not looking at it in hindsight, I'm looking at it from the time the trade was made.

Obviously looking back now, it was a steal, but Garcia was a valued commodity.

This is a dumb argument anyways, so I'm done with it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
I'm not looking at it in hindsight, I'm looking at it from the time the trade was made.

Obviously looking back now, it was a steal, but Garcia was a valued commodity.

This is a dumb argument anyways, so I'm done with it.

They were all more or less only steals in hindsight. ALOT of people hated unloading BMAC.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
They were all more or less only steals in hindsight. ALOT of people hated unloading BMAC.

I sure as heck wasn't one of them as I offered my services numerous times to pack his bags and drive him to the airport personally. I honestly can't recall ANY trades that made me that happy seeing him sent off.

As for Nix...seems like the last time we got a middle infielder from the Rox...it turned out pretty well. I am encouraged by his upside but not getting my hopes up too much.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
That remains to be seen, and I was talking more of using that spot to protect one of our players, not trying to acquire another Soria, Santana, or Hamilton.

I really don't think there's a whole lot sitting at AAA that needs protecting right now. Side effect of a couple bad drafts.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 02:16 AM)
Would any of you be irate if Nix opened the season as our starting 2B?

The only thing that would make me irate is if KW came out and said he was going to be the starter next year. If he earns it, fine. The thing is, there are many people who think every minor leaguer KW signs now is the next Carlos Quentin. Nix was a minor leaguer who was released by the Rockies. If baseball teams who pay scouts thought he was half as good as some people on this board do without ever seeing him play, someone would have traded for him. Most likely, he plays in Charlotte this year.