Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

chunk23

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
11 million, probably 5 years. Torres says he can be in the majors this year, but the Sox most likely think otherwise.

This could be great news for the Sox. I'm sure we'll get plenty of comments from other team reps that saw his workouts, after the signing becomes official. Since he's "only" getting 11 mil, there must be some doubters. The Sox probably give this kid his best opportunity to get motivated and succeed at the big league level.

Does this mean Fields is likely gone in a trade now? Does it make KW more likely to trade Dye?

According to Phil Rogers (in his recent chat about Sox prospects on baseballamerica.com)...

If Viciedo had been signed before prospect rankings came out, Phil would have rated him the #2 prospect in the Sox system behind only Beckham.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
Just saw this on Rotoworld. The acquisition of Jose Contreras has really paved the way for our future (Alexei, Dayan).

And it makes us more likely to get the NEXT star who defects. Cubano?

The pipeline is in place, if this kid is a success ala Ramirez, look out!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
Good things happen to those who wait, eh? I've got him pencield in for AA this year, but the future does look very bright for Viciedo

As much as I'd like to see him play in person next year, it all depends on Spring Training. My guess at B'ham's roster for 2009 wouldn't leave room for him, and that's not counting possible veterans and whether or not Beckham and Danks start out here or in W-S.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
This could be great news for the Sox. I'm sure we'll get plenty of comments from other team reps that saw his workouts, after the signing becomes official. Since he's "only" getting 11 mil, there must be some doubters. The Sox probably give this kid his best opportunity to get motivated and succeed at the big league level.

Does this mean Fields is likely gone in a trade now? Does it make KW more likely to trade Dye?

Fields SHOULD be given every chance to show how he can perform in ST...if for no other reason than to increase his value to other teams.

From all reports, Viciedo is at least 1-2 years away. If nothing else, based on his being so out of shape, it will take him at least one season in the US with Sox trainers/nutritionists/strength and conditioning people.

I also think there's a possibility we see either a platoon or the acquisition of a Blake level of player for NO MORE than 2 years.

They also have to decide as soon as possible whether he's best-suited for LF, 3B, RF, 1B or DH and make all possible efforts to get him acclimated to playing that particular position exclusively. Cubano, when was the last time two position players from Cuba were on the same infield (or outfield, for that matter) on an MLB team? Has it ever happened before?

The strange thing is that we've now found a pipeline into Cuba (and Japan with Takatsu/Iguchi to a lesser extent) but the same thing hasn't transpired with young Venezuelan players despite having the most famous/successful Venezelano ever. For now, I'll attribute this to Wilder and other internal organizational weaknesses, but there's really no excuse for not having 2-3 future studs from that country as well. But we'll take whatever we can get.

Edited by caulfield12

He doesn't look incredibly out of shape right now, certainly not quite so bad as reported. But he definitely needs to shed 15-25 pounds.

Let the excuses roll in from other organizations about why they didn't sign THIS Cuban, lol. It would be incredibly interesting to see which teams submitted offers to Torres, and for how many years and dollars.

You mean Andy Gonzalez and Pedro Lopez weren't really prospects, lol? Jason Dellaero...those were the days.

Not to mention bringing in Ramirez and skipping over his minor league incubation period. Who knows, maybe Nix and/or Fields will surprise a few people, and Betemit was once one of the top 2-3 infield prospects in the game.

Absolutely love the move.

Long - term, I think he'll end up as an OF/DH, but that depends on how he applies himself with his body and gets himself into shape.

I think he'll start next season at AAA, but a big ST as Ramirez did in 2008, may force the Sox's hand.

And this really gives us a lot of options in regards to Fields.

But as for Viciedo, he's got amazing power by all reports, and I think he could end up being the next Frank Thomas. That's a big statement, but I think he's got the talent to do so.

He's really in the perfect situation (good environment in the clubhouse under Ozzie and with Jose and Alexei, and the ballpark he'll be hitting in) to have a great career.