Cabrera offered arbitration

bighurt4life

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
"We saw an opportunity to acquire one of the best shortstops in the game and one of the smartest shortstops in the game. Somebody who can fit into the No. 2 spot in our lineup for 155 games,'' Chicago general manager Ken Williams said, adding the trade frees up money that could help the White Sox pull off another deal.

-KW after getting OC a year ago.

He has done nothing since to make him a back-up to the likes of Getz, Lillibridge and Nix.

Disagree. His play, offensively, was inconsistent. The majority of the season he was very subpar. he was not one of the best in the game in 2008.

Note also the "smartest" comment - OC acted like a spoiled child, which is the opposite of what KW was looking for.

Certaintly, OC wasn't some horrible player. But he didn't exactly live up to expectations either.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
Disagree. His play, offensively, was inconsistent. The majority of the season he was very subpar. he was not one of the best in the game in 2008.

Note also the "smartest" comment - OC acted like a spoiled child, which is the opposite of what KW was looking for.

Certaintly, OC wasn't some horrible player. But he didn't exactly live up to expectations either.

Exactly. OC hasn't been one of the best SS in the game for years. If you look at his numbers and consider he's lost some on defense, there's no reason why he should be a clear cut favorite over anyone anymore. It's entirely possible that Getz and Lillibridge can outproduce him. It's not all resentment coming out of KW's mouth when he says OC would be a backup. .281/.334/.371 last year was the definition of average, and he's only going to get worse. I don't think it's a stretch to say we can get that type of season out of Getz/Lillibridge, with the potential to do even better.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)

I agree with everything you say except disagreeing with Dick's post. That was Orlando Cabrera in a nutshell, but he still shouldn't be a backup to any of the Sox current middle infield options.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm not going to sleep until the clock strikes midnight Sunday night.

2 questions,

1) Is that the deadline for arbitration to be accepted? (12:00AM Monday morning?)

2) Does OC know yet how much the arbitration offer is for? Or does that not get determined until after he accepts it?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
2 questions,

1) Is that the deadline for arbitration to be accepted? (12:00AM Monday morning?)

2) Does OC know yet how much the arbitration offer is for? Or does that not get determined until after he accepts it?

Arbitration wouldn't be settled until several months from now when the case goes before an arbitrator, unless the team and Cabrera came to an agreement in advance. The lowest the team could offer would be a 20% pay cut compared to last year, and if they offered that it's likely they'd lose their case if it came before an arbitrator unless Cabrera's request was even more outrageous (if it reaches an arbitrator, the guy can only choose 1 number or the other, not anything in between).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
Arbitration wouldn't be settled until several months from now when the case goes before an arbitrator, unless the team and Cabrera came to an agreement in advance. The lowest the team could offer would be a 20% pay cut compared to last year, and if they offered that it's likely they'd lose their case if it came before an arbitrator unless Cabrera's request was even more outrageous (if it reaches an arbitrator, the guy can only choose 1 number or the other, not anything in between).

Is that the official MLB arbitration rule? No lower than 80% of last year's salary? Also, in arbitration, you're saying the arbitor does not make up a number, he chooses between what the club offers and what the player demands?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
Is that the official MLB arbitration rule? No lower than 80% of last year's salary? Also, in arbitration, you're saying the arbitor does not make up a number, he chooses between what the club offers and what the player demands?

Yes, if you offer a player arbitration, and he accepts, his salary can be no less than 80% of what he made the year before. If it reaches that phase, the player will submit a salary number, the team will submit a salary number, there will be an argument phase where the team says how much the player (i.e. Ryan Howard) sucks and then the player points out that he doesn't suck, and the arbiter chooses 1 bid or the other, weighing his previous salary, salaries of comparable players, and performance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Yes, if you offer a player arbitration, and he accepts, his salary can be no less than 80% of what he made the year before. If it reaches that phase, the player will submit a salary number, the team will submit a salary number, there will be an argument phase where the team says how much the player (i.e. Ryan Howard) sucks and then the player points out that he doesn't suck, and the arbiter chooses 1 bid or the other, weighing his previous salary, salaries of comparable players, and performance.

And 70% of what he made 2 seasons prior. So if OCab made $10M in 2007 but only $8M in 2008 the Sox could offer him no less than $7M even though 80% of his 2008 salary is $6.4M.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 04:37 AM)
i still like OC for doing that... seriously.

i really dug that move by him.

flame me all you want - i thought it was great and i want all my players to have that intensity.

even though I don't particularly care for some of his antics, i really did like him kicking dirt at ballfour. Ballfour was showing up Uribe and Cabrera wouldn't have any of it, gotta respect a guy who sticks up for his teammates.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
even though I don't particularly care for some of his antics, i really did like him kicking dirt at ballfour. Ballfour was showing up Uribe and Cabrera wouldn't have any of it, gotta respect a guy who sticks up for his teammates.

Too bad it took him a whole year to do that and show any fire at all.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)
[/b]

Too bad it took him a whole year to do that and show any fire at all.

Keep in mind that he was hitting in the LEAD OFF role!!?? He had a great season (above his career averages) considering the shizz he was going through in Chicago. I give him major credit.

He's a passionate player who loves the game. He played 161 GAMES!! I will miss him either way.

QUOTE (sox1844 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
Keep in mind that he was hitting in the LEAD OFF role!!?? He had a great season (above his career averages) considering the shizz he was going through in Chicago. I give him major credit.

He's a passionate player who loves the game. He played 161 GAMES!! I will miss him either way.

Well, when Swisher was hitting leadoff top start the season, Ocab appeared as if he didn't want to be there. He sucked right along with Swisher, and the visible effort was lacking. Late summer for a few weeks he really seemed like he was playing hard, and the effort WAS there, even if the reults weren't. But that didn't last long. I would have to say that his 'passion' was severly lacking in a majority of those 161 games. Not what I would expect from a supposed top shortstop, especially playing in a contract year. You can give him credit, I will give him blame, and we'll just have to agree to differ there.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Well, when Swisher was hitting leadoff top start the season, Ocab appeared as if he didn't want to be there. He sucked right along with Swisher, and the visible effort was lacking. Late summer for a few weeks he really seemed like he was playing hard, and the effort WAS there, even if the reults weren't. But that didn't last long. I would have to say that his 'passion' was severly lacking in a majority of those 161 games. Not what I would expect from a supposed top shortstop, especially playing in a contract year. You can give him credit, I will give him blame, and we'll just have to agree to differ there.

No worries. Agree to disagree. I'm just saying there has to be an adjustment period where you're hitting at the least popular spot in the line-up that you've never hit at before. Have to give him some credit for starting slow, and pulling himself up to .281, the same BA as A.J. Don't hear anyone saying A.J. had a bad year.

He hit above all his career averages. You can't sign (or trade for a guy) and expect better than that.

I'm one of those people who don't care about the lovey dovey stuff. Holding hands and being friends. I want to see the Sox win games. Don't care much about anything else.

I really would not mind having OC back for one more year. I think it would be one of the best things that could happen -- hit him 2nd, 8th, or 9th, and keep Alexei at 2nd for another year. Hopefully get a lead-off hitter for CF, and give Beckham, Lillibridge, and Jordan Danks a chance to build up some confidence and experience in the minors. If he puts up .280/.330/.370 or more, with decent defense, he's worth it, jackass or not.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 07:09 PM)

This right here is the reason that I believe he will not accept. He didn't want to be here, and he won't choose to be here again. If he was open to the idea, there would have been some contract discussions during the season. OC is the one blowing smoke up everyone's backsides.