Peavy claims to be ready

PeavyTime

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)
Do you guys see any rational reason Peavy pitches again this season?

We're seven back in the loss column again. What would it prove? He's our No. 1 next season. Great.

Let him rest up. What good does it do for anybody to have him pitch? I don't get it.

He'll probably sell more tickets with the mystery of Peavy still out there. I really really hope he doesn't get hurt during his start or two.

Because when I was in Vegas before the start of the year, I took the over on 77.5 wins for the White Sox.

Also, I see little harm in having him throw 4 or 5 innings if he wants to get back out there and his arm feels good. If he's sore, he'll take himself out. He's a competitor, but he's not going to risk his career for a few innings of work.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's absolutely no reason to NOT have Peavy pitch this year. It doesn't matter if the Sox are out of it or not. He needs to pitch to feel good about coming back from his ankle injury and the line drive off his elbow. I see no harm in limiting his pitch count, but to shut him down is ridiculous.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
There's absolutely no reason to NOT have Peavy pitch this year. It doesn't matter if the Sox are out of it or not. He needs to pitch to feel good about coming back from his ankle injury and the line drive off his elbow. I see no harm in limiting his pitch count, but to shut him down is ridiculous.

Why do you keep saying that? Have you talked to him personally? Does he feel depressed?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
If we're out of it then why start any of our everyday starters? What's the point. Rest everyone.

Right. If they want to shut down Peavy because the Sox are out of it, then shut down Dye (because he can't hit the ball), Rios (because he can't hit the ball), Quentin (because he's not having fun), Pods (because he's only hitting .300), Beckham (because we don't want him to get hurt and lose out on ROTY), AJ (because he has blond hair), and Konerko (because he's slow).

My post is obviously in jest. I just think all the talk of shutting Peavy down is getting old. If he's healthy and wants to pitch, let him pitch.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Why do you keep saying that? Have you talked to him personally? Does he feel depressed?

Yeah, we had a beer last night at Hooters. No, but I would think that he's the type of guy that would like to pitch if he's ready. I'll keep my comments to a minimum about how players feel...sorry.

If we're out of it then why start any of our everyday starters? What's the point. Rest everyone.

Because the season is almost over. Those other guys have been playing every day. This guy has been out most of the year. It just seems stupid to me to trot him out there 5 innings in one or two starts if we can't win the division.

If you tell me we still are in the race, fine, I guess.

I for one am not counting on what would be probably the greatest comeback of all time. We're running out of games and I just see no reason to pitch him. I guess I'm in the vast minority.

I'd rather have him come back in the spring and earn the opening day start, etc., in what most feel could be a much better year for our team.

Edited by greg775

There is also an unwritten expectation that teams play hard until the end. Of course as teams are mathematically eliminated they start to cruise and play more of the younger guys, but to give up when in theory you still have a chance is for losers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Because the season is almost over. Those other guys have been playing every day. This guy has been out most of the year. It just seems stupid to me to trot him out there 5 innings in one or two starts if we can't win the division.

If you tell me we still are in the race, fine, I guess.

I for one am not counting on what would be probably the greatest comeback of all time. We're running out of games and I just see no reason to pitch him. I guess I'm in the vast minority.

I'd rather have him come back in the spring and earn the opening day start, etc., in what most feel could be a much better year for our team.

The fifth starter has been out there every day? You wouldnt rather see Peavy pitch than Torres?

I'd rather see Jake than Torres. I bet you if we were mathematically eliminated, we wouldn't see Peavy this year. It's probably a way to say we haven't given up and it might add some fans in the stands, too. I just hope he doesn't get hurt in a meaningless outing or two.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
I'd rather see Jake than Torres. I bet you if we were mathematically eliminated, we wouldn't see Peavy this year. It's probably a way to say we haven't given up and it might add some fans in the stands, too. I just hope he doesn't get hurt in a meaningless outing or two.

The Sox arent going to put him out there if they think he is still hurt. It has nothing to do with them being mathematically eliminated, they are just letting the guy pitch

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 02:21 AM)

given investment the white sox have made in peavy (an investment that really goes against their sop in terms of starting pitching) i find it highly unlikely they'd let him pitch if there was a chance of exacerbating an existing injury.

but excepting that, i fail to see why he shouldn't pitch. if he is healthy why not? his chances of being randomly hurt in a game are no greater now than they'll be in april, or next june, or next october.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
The Sox arent going to put him out there if they think he is still hurt. It has nothing to do with them being mathematically eliminated, they are just letting the guy pitch

This is what I have been thinking. Not to put words in Peavy's mouth or thoughts in his head, but I would think the Sox will let him pitch if he's healthy and wants to pitch. And being a competitor, I would think he would want to pitch.

Great. Why did they have to piss off greg775?!

I'm not pissed. I just don't want him to get hurt. If Detroit choked the division away and we won it, he'd be an important part of the playoff rotation. I guess until we're officially eliminated the Sox are treating the season like we have a chance. Hence Peavy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
I'm not pissed. I just don't want him to get hurt. If Detroit choked the division away and we won it, he'd be an important part of the playoff rotation. I guess until we're officially eliminated the Sox are treating the season like we have a chance. Hence Peavy.

I don't think it's feasible for them to treat Peavy like this until opening day next year so we might as well let him pitch when he's healthy...

bubble_boy_2-754379.jpg

It's about time Peavy started! Our starters have pitched their tails off...WITH INJURIES, and he's been nursing a bruise for weeks! didin't Grienke take one off the arm last night too, but stayed in to pitch? Watched SportsCenter for highlights and no mention of Danks. Who wouldve even known he pitched? Only interested in Jenks blowing save, which was 2nd straight start for Danks he got ND. ESPN did however intrigue us with how poor Josh Beckett pitched last night giving up only THREE RUNS and didn't get the win. Danks should easily have 16 wins this season...probably more. But I'm sure he's used to by now. Climb that hill Peavy.....good luck. (rant over)