Speculation: Johnny Damon to White Sox?

almagest

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Big Daddy Kool @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Would Carl Crawford be a better upgrade than Pods or Damon.

Yes, clearly he would, but he's not coming nearly as cheap, and it really doesn't help us to grab Crawford to lead off if we also have to open up another hole at the same time by ripping out a piece of our pitching staff or infield. Re-signing Crawford will also cost a ton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
They are also going to look at the same history of injury and ineffectiveness for long periods of his career, to go along with falling revenues and losing advertisers to realize that they aren't going to be able to throw around money like that for a guy who is coming off a careerish year.

Also, as I discussed with a mod, I have a real good source that says Pods is not a good team guy and many of the guys from the '05 team aren't really fond of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised if Lackey wound up there as well, FWIW.

yeah, whether they win it or not, they'll likely again sign 2 big FAs, but I see it getting crazy if they somehow blow the WS, I could see Lackey, Holliday and Figgins there.

If Damon can be had for the right price he would be a perfect 2 year stop gap, he isnt much a of stolen base threat but without looking at his stats I think he still hits at a good avg. and a good obp. The whitesox would still need too add another bat to make sure the offense isnt as pathetic as it was last season.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
Where? CF? LF? I think they end up with Holliday. I'll say Damon-Melky-Holliday is their starting OF and they *gasp* try very hard to trade Nick Swisher over the offseason, but find themselves unable to.

I think they'll either put him in a corner OF spot or realize Melky isn't exactly an all-star in CF. The reality is though that they're going to need a leadoff hitter and he's the best one on the market, unless they're willing to trade for Crawford (Would the Rays take either Hughes or Chamberlain at this point?)

Also, as I discussed with a mod, I have a real good source that says Pods is not a good team guy and many of the guys from the '05 team aren't really fond of him.

I don't know why that would matter. There always will be some assholes on teams. What is a good team guy? Just asking. I really don't care if Pods comes back or not. Odds are he may not pick up where he left off. I just think Damon is a disaster defensively and would rather have Pods than Damon. If we acquire Damon, so be it. He is a grinder and the Sox fans will probably love adding a grinder to go with Getz.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
I don't know why that would matter. There always will be some assholes on teams. What is a good team guy? Just asking. I really don't care if Pods comes back or not. Odds are he may not pick up where he left off. I just think Damon is a disaster defensively and would rather have Pods than Damon. If we acquire Damon, so be it. He is a grinder and the Sox fans will probably love adding a grinder to go with Getz.

Have you ever seen a ball bounce off Damons head over the wall for a homerun? You keep talking about Damon being a disaster defensively, well Podsednik invented the term. I could care less what UZR says about either of them, they both arent very good defensively.

Personally I would rather have neither

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)

That actually isn't much of a secret. Pods has always been obsessed with not getting sent back to the minors. He was in the TCQ school of intensity and self. Supposedly he has relaxed a ton and has been a much more likable guy this time around.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
the 90 million is for peavy, the sox assumed the rest of the money on Rios which is not 90 million(whatever is left of the 7 year 70 million dollar contract when he was traded to the sox).

I dont understand what you are saying, on one hand you are saying that the sox have to trade for a player of this magnitude, yet you finish the statement by basically saying that the Sox dont need this kind of player(aging OF with mediocre defense).

Sorry, I got the numbers wrong. My point is that I think Kenny's hands are tied as far as signing a big name free agent. He's already spent quite a bit of money on Peavy as well as Rios. Plus, with Boras as his agent, Damon is going to try to milk the market for all his worth as a 35 year old OF. Money aside, I don't think Damon makes sense for the Sox. He's still a very good player but I don't think this team needs another outfielder with a similar skill set to that of Scotty Pods. Plus with the (possible) acquisition of Teahen it looks less likely that Damon will be on the Southside next year.

Edited by chisoxpride2