Quentin for Crawford?

League

Sox Talking with Drays About Jenks, Crawford for Quentin Swap

The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that the Chicago White Sox and Tampa Bay Rays have had numerous discussions this off-season involving not only Bobby Jenks but apparently a deal that would have sent Carlos Quentin to the Rays for Carl Crawford.

Sources with Tampa Bay and the Sox said the sides had talked several times this offseason, not only checking out closer Bobby Jenks and his availability in a deal, but more specifically a trade that would have sent Carlos Quentin to the Rays for Carl Crawford.

What.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
You know... if we did get Carl Crawford for Carlos, and still ended up landing Adrian Gonzalez (pipe dream, I know)... I'd be perfectly fine with Andruw Jones as an everyday right fielder.

And then we'd either have to have a 125 million dollar payroll in 2011 to keep the roster together...or the deals would basically put the Sox in a situation where they have a year to contend before the window closes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
And then we'd either have to have a 125 million dollar payroll in 2011 to keep the roster together...or the deals would basically put the Sox in a situation where they have a year to contend before the window closes.

I guess you're right...

But WOW... wouldn't that be a fun 2010??

QUOTE (League @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Seems to me that we're going to be going with a lot of guys who are more 20 HR hitter types. Becks, 'Lexi, Rios, Teahan.

Which is great to have sprinkled throughout the lineup, but we need a couple 30 - 35 homerun hitters in the middle. Considering Konerko is getting older and will be a free agent after this season, I would be very hesitant in trading our only power hitter under team control for multiple seasons. I love what Crawford offers when he's on top of his game, but I'm not giving up three years of Quentin unless I know something about his foot that will have a long-term impact on his production. The deal doesn't make sense to me from a Sox perspective.

God I hope not. Carl Crawford is what he is - an .800-.825 OPS player who is going to get really expensive really fast. Carlos Quentin, in what was considered a bad year, still put up a .779 OPS, though it was mostly slugging favored, and he's still under team control for a while. His BABIP last year was .223, which is very, very low.

Unless the Sox are absolutely convinced that he is constantly going to be an injury waiting to happen, I don't even consider this.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
I do not think it would be Quentin and Crawford straight up. The injury thing lingers over Quentin heavily.

I think Jenks is involved and some Tampa pitching.

If Jenks is involved too, we would have to be getting a very top pitcher out of their system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Note the phrase "would have" on the Quentin part, but ambiguous as to tense on the Jenks part. Key parts there.

Honestly, the writing on the wall is clear. The Sox are handcuffed if they want to contend next year. Between player raises and filling two massive holes in the lineup, they just don't have the money without moving someone. Jenks is one of the few parts that could be replaced internally.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
Honestly, the writing on the wall is clear. The Sox are handcuffed if they want to contend next year. Between player raises and filling two massive holes in the lineup, they just don't have the money without moving someone. Jenks is one of the few parts that could be replaced internally.

And then you are left without a real good lefty reliever, unless Thornton starts being used in the 7th, 8th, or 9th and there is some type of committee.