*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love my Garmin Fenix 5. Battery life is amazing. Got it Tuessday afternoon and have had it on, with GPS, since then and it's at 90% battery. The number of fitness features are a bit overwhelming right now but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

Edited by BigSqwert

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
Anyone use kettle bells? Looking stuff up and going to try a bunch of exercises tonight to mix it up.

You can do a ton with kettlebells. There are several variations of the kettlebell swing, deadlifts, shoulder press, goblet squat, turkish get-up, plus more.

QUOTE (Pods70Rowand33 @ Apr 29, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)
You can do a ton with kettlebells. There are several variations of the kettlebell swing, deadlifts, shoulder press, goblet squat, turkish get-up, plus more.

Did a bunch yesterday. My hamstrings are sore as hell.

• 3 weeks later...

Completed my 100th ride on the Peloton today.

Have ridden over 1,520 miles in 76 hours and burned 71,720 calories (according to Peloton). I suspect the actual caloric burn is closer to 45,000.

Great bike! Great community of people! Super impressed still after almost 5 months.

QUOTE (Pods70Rowand33 @ May 21, 2017 -> 06:26 AM)
Have you used kettlebells anymore? I think they are great.

I work in a few sets of swings per week and walk the track carrying them.

I'd like to do more but should have a trainer show me

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you cyclists use a power meter? I just received my powertap pedals and need some help figuring out how to train with them. I know the first step is to figure out my FTP and set up my zones. But then what? Are there any recommended workouts to use?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
Any of you cyclists use a power meter? I just received my powertap pedals and need some help figuring out how to train with them. I know the first step is to figure out my FTP and set up my zones. But then what? Are there any recommended workouts to use?

Marko, you need to get a Peloton...there is a large group of people who live for this stuff.

See if you can join the Facebook Peloton Road Riders. I suspect there is all kinds of stuff in there that will be helpful.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
Marko, you need to get a Peloton...there is a large group of people who live for this stuff.

As tempting as it is, I blew my budget on the bike and accessories. Maybe down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 02:19 AM)
Are you guys talking running in the open world? I assume that must be harder than on an elliptical, because after 7 years and being quite out of shape, I did a little over 2 miles in 17 minutes. Probably could have reached the 3rd mile by minute 26 or so. I doubt I'm somehow a skilled runner, just going to assume elliptical is easier.

After relying on the girls from work to get me in to the gym, and them being pretty unreliable/consistent, I decided to just get my own membership. I now go about twice a week (I work out late at night, I work weekends, and they close early on weekends, so week days are my only chance). I know I should probably go more, but according to my phone, I walk 7+ miles during a work day, so it's not like it's my only movement during the week.

Also, I play in a volleyball league Thursday nights. 2 matches of 3 games each, so 90 minutes of play. Thursdays after volleyball have been a gym day for me since I am already in workout clothes, sweating, and adrenaline pumping from my games.

LOONNNGG story short, I am completely ignorant when it comes to working out. No idea what I should be doing, or if I am doing enough. The goal is weight loss. I am a touch under 6', and weigh 245. I topped out at 273 maybe 12-18 months ago, but have been slowly coming down just by simply eating less garbage, and cutting out like 80% of fast food. I get fast food maybe 2-3 times a month now instead of 2-3 times a week. I've also begun meal prepping a bit for work, instead of stopping at the food court in our building. Helps save money that way too, so that's a plus.

So my routine has just been to run 2.5 miles on the elliptical for in 21 mins, (2) of 50 bicep curls, 50 sit-ups, 50 hip-twist...things (works on abs, it says), or 50 chest presses. Then I do the whole thing over again. So I end up running 5 miles in 42 mins (Tonight I did 5.5 miles in the same time, and even ran a 7 min mile, which is by far the quickest I've ever done), and 100 of (2) of those other types of machine workouts. I figure if I am running 5 miles, to not even bother working on my legs because 5 miles will do a number of my legs already, don't need to push them more.

Is this good for how big I am? More? Less? Honestly have no idea what I'm doing, but I feel like cardio being the focus is probably the right direction.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 02:49 AM)
After relying on the girls from work to get me in to the gym, and them being pretty unreliable/consistent, I decided to just get my own membership. I now go about twice a week (I work out late at night, I work weekends, and they close early on weekends, so week days are my only chance). I know I should probably go more, but according to my phone, I walk 7+ miles during a work day, so it's not like it's my only movement during the week.

Also, I play in a volleyball league Thursday nights. 2 matches of 3 games each, so 90 minutes of play. Thursdays after volleyball have been a gym day for me since I am already in workout clothes, sweating, and adrenaline pumping from my games.

LOONNNGG story short, I am completely ignorant when it comes to working out. No idea what I should be doing, or if I am doing enough. The goal is weight loss. I am a touch under 6', and weigh 245. I topped out at 273 maybe 12-18 months ago, but have been slowly coming down just by simply eating less garbage, and cutting out like 80% of fast food. I get fast food maybe 2-3 times a month now instead of 2-3 times a week. I've also begun meal prepping a bit for work, instead of stopping at the food court in our building. Helps save money that way too, so that's a plus.

So my routine has just been to run 2.5 miles on the elliptical for in 21 mins, (2) of 50 bicep curls, 50 sit-ups, 50 hip-twist...things (works on abs, it says), or 50 chest presses. Then I do the whole thing over again. So I end up running 5 miles in 42 mins (Tonight I did 5.5 miles in the same time, and even ran a 7 min mile, which is by far the quickest I've ever done), and 100 of (2) of those other types of machine workouts. I figure if I am running 5 miles, to not even bother working on my legs because 5 miles will do a number of my legs already, don't need to push them more.

Is this good for how big I am? More? Less? Honestly have no idea what I'm doing, but I feel like cardio being the focus is probably the right direction.

I'm 5'9, 180 lbs and I'm trying to lose a bit of weight, mainly in my stomach area. My metabolism started slowing down a couple years ago (I'm 26) and the weight started sticking after I stopped working retail (I'm an accountant now). I've been very inconsistent about going to the gym but last week, I started making a habit of going everyday. I run 4-5 miles on the treadmill every time I go. I've also been eating a lot better lately. Any advice is also appreciated here.

Edited by soxfan2014

One thing I would advise you guys is to research some kind of a program/routine which incorporates a number of different activities, rather than trying to repeat the same type of exercise or activity every time you workout. This will lead both to better results as well as a better opportunity to stick with it over the long haul.

Sounds like Joe has the idea already.

I started limiting cardio to one day for an hour. Keep heart rate over 125.

Other 3 days I lift with no rest between to keep heart rate up for an hour. Will even walk around track carrying kettle bells if body parts need rest.

My biggest problem is eating. I don't eat bad but should improve in some areas.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 02:49 AM)

I have quite a bit of experience in this area. First and foremost, your goal is key...if it's weight loss, then a combination of cardio, weight training and diet are the answer.

Especially diet.

Nothing you're doing sounds bad or wrong...the key is to be consistent...and to keep being consistent even when you don't want to be. You can get a pre-workout to solve this issue...on those days where you just have no energy or don't wanna get up, pre-workouts will give you the kick in the ass you need. Just be careful with them, they're quite powerful because they're stimulants...and don't take them unless needed.

Be patient. The weight will come off over time...but you have to understand a few things. Sometimes the scale won't move in the right direction...that's due to your body adding muscle while it burns off fat. Muscle weights 5x as much as fat...so keep the number on the scale in mind that it's not the end all be all and understand that the scale has been bastardized by the fitness/supplement industry to accomplish one thing -- to separate you from your money.

As you get in better shape, you may find you look great at your current weight, because that has a lot to do with where the weight is on your frame, versus an arbitrary number on a scale. If when you're in shape you look great at 250 pounds, then don't worry about getting to 240 simply for the sake of a number, etc.

Edited by Y2HH

If your goal is to lose weight, diet is the definitely the key. Exercise is great, but I would ditch the sit ups and hip twists, or at least cut back because there are more efficient exercises. HIIT training is supposedly scientifically proven to be the best for burning fat. You can find tons of examples of workouts online. If I'm trying to burn some belly fat, I incorporate compound movements that are using 2 or muscle groups at once.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
If your goal is to lose weight, diet is the definitely the key. Exercise is great, but I would ditch the sit ups and hip twists, or at least cut back because there are more efficient exercises. HIIT training is supposedly scientifically proven to be the best for burning fat. You can find tons of examples of workouts online. If I'm trying to burn some belly fat, I incorporate compound movements that are using 2 or muscle groups at once.

Actually, it is proven to burn the most calories, and may burn more fat (although a lesser percentage of total calories) than longer endurance type cardio, although that depends on how much, how long, etc.

HIIT training is awesome, and if you can do it once every week or two, that is likely enough. During the remainder of your workout days, it is good to do lower intensity endurance-type training, perhaps 2-3 workouts per week.

Definitely agree with everyone on strength training exercises and diet being a big part of the equation as well.

Everyone here gave great advice, the only thing I'll add is to NOT skip legs even with your running. Adding muscle to your legs is going to up your metabolism and leg work outs absolutely kill calories too, not to mention the core strength development from some exercises. Do some body weight squats, have someone who knows what they're doing show you how to deadlift(very light weight at first) and it'll really help get you to where you want to be.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Actually, it is proven to burn the most calories, and may burn more fat (although a lesser percentage of total calories) than longer endurance type cardio, although that depends on how much, how long, etc.

HIIT training is awesome, and if you can do it once every week or two, that is likely enough. During the remainder of your workout days, it is good to do lower intensity endurance-type training, perhaps 2-3 workouts per week.

Definitely agree with everyone on strength training exercises and diet being a big part of the equation as well.

The key to any workout plan is intervals and variety. If you plan on exercises for a long time the body will accommodate and the workouts will be less effective. don't get into a rut you will stagnate both physiologically and mentally.

The stagnation happens most often with cardio. People get on the same machine or on the treadmill do the same amount of time at the same pace. This is a poor way to do it. Vary the pace and it will be a much more effective workout.

Thanks for all the info guys. Biggest thing I am going to change is varied workouts, and take less time between rep sets and workouts. Usually I check my phone for a couple minutes between doing stuff, and my heart rate dropping probably hurts the workout.

Oh speaking of heart rate, the elliptical, after I put in my info and on "Fat Burn" category, puts my target heart rate at 123 BPM. However, I am usually going pretty fast and my heart rate is at a steady 145+, peaking around 160 sometimes. Is this alright? My heart isn't going to explode is it? lol. I'm assuming my heart rate being as high as possible will burn fat at a more rapid pace, right?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Thanks for all the info guys. Biggest thing I am going to change is varied workouts, and take less time between rep sets and workouts. Usually I check my phone for a couple minutes between doing stuff, and my heart rate dropping probably hurts the workout.

Oh speaking of heart rate, the elliptical, after I put in my info and on "Fat Burn" category, puts my target heart rate at 123 BPM. However, I am usually going pretty fast and my heart rate is at a steady 145+, peaking around 160 sometimes. Is this alright? My heart isn't going to explode is it? lol. I'm assuming my heart rate being as high as possible will burn fat at a more rapid pace, right?

No.

There is such a thing as heart rate zones, wherein your body will burn different types of fuel depending on how hard your heart is having to pump blood throughout your muscles.

Google heart rate zones or heart rate training.

Generally, the fat burning zone is going to be zone 2, which is generally going to be 65-75% of your maximum heart rate, depending on your age, fitness level, and a number of other factors. The standard, albeit not necessarily correct method of calculating your maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age. So if you are 23, your maximum heart rate would be 197 according to this method. It is likely that it is somewhere in that area.

Therefore, your ideal fat burning zone would be between 65-75% of 197. This equals a range of 128 and 148. If your heart is beating somewhere in that range you are likely burning a lot of stored fat. So the 145 you are at is probably pretty good for burning fat!

If you are getting up to 160 or so, you are probably in zone 3, which is a zone where you will begin burning some readily available carbs that you ate recently. This isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, but if your goal is to lose weight, you would do best to train more in zone 2.

As your heart has to work harder, your body begins to burn more carbs because it requires less oxygen than burning fat.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
No.

There is such a thing as heart rate zones, wherein your body will burn different types of fuel depending on how hard your heart is having to pump blood throughout your muscles.

Google heart rate zones or heart rate training.

Generally, the fat burning zone is going to be zone 2, which is generally going to be 65-75% of your maximum heart rate, depending on your age, fitness level, and a number of other factors. The standard, albeit not necessarily correct method of calculating your maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age. So if you are 23, your maximum heart rate would be 197 according to this method. It is likely that it is somewhere in that area.

Therefore, your ideal fat burning zone would be between 65-75% of 197. This equals a range of 128 and 148. If your heart is beating somewhere in that range you are likely burning a lot of stored fat. So the 145 you are at is probably pretty good for burning fat!

If you are getting up to 160 or so, you are probably in zone 3, which is a zone where you will begin burning some readily available carbs that you ate recently. This isn't necessarily a bad thing at all, but if your goal is to lose weight, you would do best to train more in zone 2.

As your heart has to work harder, your body begins to burn more carbs because it requires less oxygen than burning fat.

This is really important. You don't want to work too hard either as it puts too much stress on your physiology. An even better way to determine you target training zone for heart rate is the karvonen formula. Here is how you calculate it:

The Energy Efficient/Recovery Zone – 60% to 70%

The Aerobic Zone – 70% to 80%

The Anaerobic Zone – 80% to 90%

The Red Line Zone 90% to 100%

Wikipedia does an excellent job of describing the Karnoven Method:

Target Heart Rate = ((Maximum Heart Rate – Resting Heart Rate) × %Intensity) + Resting Heart Rate

So, for someone with a Maximum Heart Rate of 180 and a Resting Heart Rate of 70 we have two examples:

For A 50% Target Heart Rate: ((180 − 70) × 0.50) + 70 = 125 bpm

For a 85% Target Heart Rate: ((180 − 70) × 0.85) + 70 = 163 bpm

This is really nice as it not only takes the individual into account with the resting heart rate but also individualizes the day with it as well.

Still not as accurate as a VO2 max but it is about the best an individual can do.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
This is really important. You don't want to work too hard either as it puts too much stress on your physiology. An even better way to determine you target training zone for heart rate is the karvonen formula. Here is how you calculate it:

Target Heart Rate = ((Maximum Heart Rate – Resting Heart Rate) × %Intensity) + Resting Heart Rate

So, for someone with a Maximum Heart Rate of 180 and a Resting Heart Rate of 70 we have two examples:

This is really nice as it not only takes the individual into account with the resting heart rate but also individualizes the day with it as well.

Still not as accurate as a VO2 max but it is about the best an individual can do.

Yeah, I have seen some VO2 max test results that are incredibly different than typical default type zones, but in general, I think for most people, either of these get you pretty close. It isn't as though you are going to see drastic differences if you are 5 beats off or something.

I generally train in zone 2 (65-75%) for 3-4 hours a week, and try to do an hour or so of zone 3 (75-85%), and then one or two workouts where I spend a few minutes above 85% every few weeks.

If you have a heart rate monitor, you can link it to some great apps out there to create graphs and charts for your training. I prefer MotiFIT.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)

I think a lot of these formulas, while they can be useful for some baseline stuff, are overrated and overused. I've never been a huge fan of any "one size fits all" approaches to fitness as different people will respond to different workouts in different ways.

Diet and consistency will fix any issue a person has...if you want size, you can't utilize the same diet as a person that's trying to shed weight, for example.

Cutting bodyfat WHILE adding size can be a very difficult proposition for many, but it was quite easy for me...but that's genetics, and those genetics allow me to get away with a LOT that others would not be able to get away with.