2011 Minor League Catch-All Thread

danman31

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just going through yesterday's BA chat transcript with Jim Callis. Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Nate (Chicago): Is Brandon Short the best position prospect in the White Sox organization?

Jim Callis: It's down to him, Eduardo Escobar and Keenyn Walker. Which should send a message to Jerry Reinsdorf that maybe it's time to start spending money on the draft.

Winston-Salem Dash

Congrats to our own Doug Tanis, who has been honored as the 2011 winner of the Carolina League Sports Turf Manager of the Year. This is the 1st time that Tanis has won the award, which is presented by the Sports Turf Managers Association, Minor League Baseball, & the Carolina League. Congrats, Doug!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
lol@2K5. You're getting ridiculous now. Balta is not gonna catch you (that is unless I decide to become a regular in filibuster). So don't worry.

Eh. I can't take the same two or three arguments all day, every day, and decided to do something about it. No one posts any kind of content anymore. Its all about who sucks, who should get fired, and who sucks most. That makes for awful discussion and it shows. It is the reason I barely post in the filibuster anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
Eh. I can't take the same two or three arguments all day, every day, and decided to do something about it. No one posts any kind of content anymore. Its all about who sucks, who should get fired, and who sucks most. That makes for awful discussion and it shows. It is the reason I barely post in the filibuster anymore.

Hey, I appreciate the twitter updates. But C'mon now. Doug Tanis and the turf award? Even you have to admit that's a bit of a stretch.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
Hey, I appreciate the twitter updates. But C'mon now. Doug Tanis and the turf award? Even you have to admit that's a bit of a stretch.

I just got that. I though the award was a manager of the year award named after some turf sponsor. Duh :bang

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
While the point still remains, Saladino and Thompson are better prospects than the 3 mentioned.

Yeah, whoever asked if Short was the best position player prospect was ignorant to the system and Callis went for the dramatic answer by not naming the two guys who are clearly the best in the system.

I might be going to New York next summer and i had a question about two minor league ballparks

im planning on going to a Yankees game and a Mets game but i also wanted to visit at least one of these 2 minor league teams parks, The Brooklyn Cyclones or the Staten Island Yankees

Ive read pretty much equal reviews on both so id appreciate some input if you have some

Thanks Bros

Buried at the bottom of a Trib article, MG reveals the names for the "younger" fall league (instructional league)...

Among the players who will participate in the Sox's Instructional League team in Arizona later this month are outfielders Jared Mitchell, Keenyn Walker and Trayce Thompson, pitchers Jake Petricka and Erik Johnson, catcher Michael Blanke and infielder Marcus Semien.

2011 Draft Sleepers Via Sickels:

Kevan Smith, C, White Sox: Seventh round pick in 2011 from University of Pittsburgh, annihilated short-season pitching at Bristol (Appy League, .396/.482/.740) and Great Falls (Pioneer League, .318/.417/.523). Drew 28 walks against just 30 strikeouts in 203 at-bats. Power bat and physical strength are well-respected, but he needs more polish with defense, and at age 23 he needs to show this wasn't just a fluke generated against younger competition.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/9/13/2...tting-prospects

Blair Walters, LHP, White Sox: Drafted in the 11th round from the University of Hawaii. He went 9-0, 4.03 in the Pioneer League with a sharp 72/17 K/BB in 74 innings. He has a low-90s sinker and is tough on lefties, but was mostly a reliever in college and is still polishing his breaking ball and changeup. He could develop into a fourth starter or possibly a LOOGY.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/9/16/2...-league-central

Edited by DirtySox

Addison Reed made the Baseball America minor league all-star team.

RP Addison Reed • White Sox

Triple-A Charlotte (International)

In a move straight out of the Dan Hudson playbook, Reed shot from the third round of the 2010 draft to Chicago in little more than a year, making ever-so-brief pit stops at all four levels of full-season ball this season. Reed's minor league ratios may elicit a double-take—12.8 strikeouts, 1.6 walks, 4.9 hits per nine innings—but he backs them up with mid-90s heat and a power slider. The 22-year-old Reed naturally struck out eight of the first 21 big league batters to face him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minor...11/2612338.html

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
FutureSox FutureSox.com

Kevan Smith rated 17th best Pioneer League prospect (was rated 20th in the Appy League). Scott Snodgress comes in at 14

Just saw that list, surprised Walters was not on it. Our top players were pretty old for Pioneer League, possibly. The #1 prospect was an 18 year old SS who hit .268.