Southwest Region

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
I agree. I do not understand why anyone thinks Illinois is talented team anymore. They aren't. They have proven over the course of two seasons they aren't. I understand that on paper one could see a team with some tall seniors, a PG that put up a a bunch of assists and a couple of talented sophomores and think that they might do something. But that would be before the season started. At this point, we have lots of evidence that they are not a talented team.

I think they'll play like they have all season, and lose to UNLV (they don't have the ball skills to handle the pressure).

I can't really disagree with what you're saying, but if you watched that team all season you would have seen 20-25 minutes bursts where this team showed that it could beat anyone in the country. They played really well against Texas but lost in overtime. They beat a good Wisconsin team at home. They nearly upset Ohio State and Purdue after playing brilliantly in the first half of each game.

The problem is they haven't had many complete games this year. I'd like to say that maybe there's a chance that they can turn it around, but really if that were the case they would have done so against Michigan. But they didn't. They yet again played a great first half and then pissed the game away. I could see them playing well against UNLV and losing, or playing well, winning, and then doing the same against Kansas. There's no doubt that the team has the talent to play with anyone. Unfortunately it's just talent to beat anyone in 20 minutes, not 40.

What a way for these seniors to go out though. Beat Kruger and then Self. Even if they lost after that this season would be a huge success IMO. My goal for them in the beginning was the second weekend of the tournament. My homerism is going to hope that it happens (while realizing it won't).

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
I can't really disagree with what you're saying, but if you watched that team all season you would have seen 20-25 minutes bursts where this team showed that it could beat anyone in the country. They played really well against Texas but lost in overtime. They beat a good Wisconsin team at home. They nearly upset Ohio State and Purdue after playing brilliantly in the first half of each game.

I think a lot of teams have flashes of excellence...Penn State nearly beat tOSU earlier in the season and had some good home victories as well, but I think we all know a team like Kansas would be a good bet to annihilate PSU in the tournament.

For me, the flip side is that if UI does beat UNLV I will be impressed -- it will be an accomplishment (biggest of the season IMO) regardless of how bad the subsequent beatdown by KU would be. Unfortunately for UI, I think beating UNLV would not be regarded by most of their fanbase as anything more than "expected".

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
I think a lot of teams have flashes of excellence...Penn State nearly beat tOSU earlier in the season and had some good home victories as well, but I think we all know a team like Kansas would be a good bet to annihilate PSU in the tournament.

For me, the flip side is that if UI does beat UNLV I will be impressed -- it will be an accomplishment (biggest of the season IMO) regardless of how bad the subsequent beatdown by KU would be. Unfortunately for UI, I think beating UNLV would not be regarded by most of their fanbase as anything more than "expected".

The difference is Illinois has only been blown out once all year and really has only had two games (@Wisconsin and @OSU) where they didn't have at least a decent shot of winning in the last 10 minutes. This team has shown over and over again they can play with any and everybody for 30-35 minutes and then they piss down their legs when things get tight.

First of all, I am very excited because I am working the Chicago regional and that's where Florida State was placed!

I don't know anything about TAMU. FSU plays great defense and it will be even better since Singleton will finally return. However, our offense is terrible. We have potential, but we only reach it 10% of the time.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
First of all, I am very excited because I am working the Chicago regional and that's where Florida State was placed!

I don't know anything about TAMU. FSU plays great defense and it will be even better since Singleton will finally return. However, our offense is terrible. We have potential, but we only reach it 10% of the time.

If FSU gets by A&M they will pose problems for ND with that defense of theirs

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
I had Louisville in the championship game. :lolhitting

You're not the only one

One of my loud mouth friends said that he could beat me in the bracket challenge because of his "hoops knowledge" so we started a pool on yahoo with money on the line.. his champion? Louisville..

I think its safe to say he is done-zo

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
And, as usual, Vandy doesn't show up in the tournament. Good thing I picked Richmond...

Vandy gets some really freakin tough matchups in the tourny. Granted, they're loaded with talent and shouldn't be a one and done but the committee has certainly done them no favors the past couple of years.