Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
Hypothetically, the Sox could have moved Jackson/Thornton/+ for Rasmus, then turned around and dealt Quentin for Dominic Brown? Umm, Brown/Rasmus/Viciedo in the outfield for a decade.............

We couldn't have moved that for Rasmus. Unless the "+" is significant.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
Viciedo's injury should absolutely NOT hold us back from trading CQ

I agree play Brent in RF for a few days until DV is ready to go.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
probably already been posted, it's not a brand new tweet... just been skimming the beatwriters/bloggers twitter accounts

http://twitter.com/#!/BNightengale/sta...386194459459584

"The trouble with trading Quentin is that it would signify they're giving up"

He thinks that if we trade CQ, it's a give up/rebuild trade..

Well, it would be. Dude's an All-Star and is currently sporting an .863 OPS. Sox are also only 3.5 games out in a very weak division. Given that this team is more talented than the '97 squad and is facing lesser divisional talent, dealing CQ may be interpreted as White Flag II.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
probably already been posted, it's not a brand new tweet... just been skimming the beatwriters/bloggers twitter accounts

I'm sure most people would think that. Especially since he is our hottest hitter. However, the AL Central is very winable regardless if we have TCQ or not. If "Tank" is ready for full time at the big league level and we get MLB ready pitching in return from ATL- then you never know!

I wrote up one great post on my thoughts against trading CQ and my computer froze up. All I can say is I hope we don't trade Quentin. Our weaknesses are no run production at 3B (but good defense), no produection in CF along with sluffing off (De Aza there right now though - one game judgement) and a dark hole at DH (but with some life showing in the last few games). Viciedo called up and replaces Pierre in LF or plays at 3B might be an option. The team traded for a releif pitcher and have up a starter and a sub for 3B and the OF. I felt beter getting Frasor when I heard he had a club option to stay next season. We know Jackson didn't and was most likely gone. I again have to emphasize my thoughts that you keep your better players and build around them. Don't drain your farm system in trades and start filling in with our own talent. We apparently must whittle down the payroll according to some cause we are darn near broke but the main bucks are goingn to RIOS, Peavy, Konerko and Dunn. Am I correct? Make sense to move the most expensive non-performer to a team with a GM with as big an ego as our guy. All we might hope for is a salary dump I don't know. Rios is the enigma here. A poor 2009 folowed by a great 2010 and now he is in the tank again. But, I think it is utterly crazy to ssay we have to keep this guy because he makes a lot on money. I kind of believe performance is the reason to keep or trade the guy.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
I'm sure most people would think that. Especially since he is our hottest hitter. However, the AL Central is very winable regardless if we have TCQ or not. If "Tank" is ready for full time at the big league level and we get MLB ready pitching in return from ATL- then you never know!

Yeah but the Tank may not be our salvation either. Not that I wouldn't like to see him at 3B or LF

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)

We really don't need to get MLB ready pitching back from ATL. We've got a 7 man bullpen that just got an upgrade and 5 guys who are starting, 4 of whom are performing well, 3 of whom will give you 7 innings almost every time out.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
@Dejan_Kovacevic

Dejan Kovacevic

#Pirates have inquired on #WhiteSox OF Carlos Quentin. Asking price astronomical. Sounds unlikely, to say the least. #tradedeadline

Good, that's how it should be.

I wrote up one great post on my thoughts against trading CQ and my computer froze up. All I can say is I hope we don't trade Quentin. Our weaknesses are no run production at 3B (but good defense), no produection in CF along with sluffing off (De Aza there right now though - one game judgement) and a dark hole at DH (but with some life showing in the last few games). Viciedo called up and replaces Pierre in LF or plays at 3B might be an option. The team traded for a releif pitcher and have up a starter and a sub for 3B and the OF. I felt beter getting Frasor when I heard he had a club option to stay next season. We know Jackson didn't and was most likely gone. I again have to emphasize my thoughts that you keep your better players and build around them. Don't drain your farm system in trades and start filling in with our own talent. We apparently must whittle down the payroll according to some cause we are darn near broke but the main bucks are goingn to RIOS, Peavy, Konerko and Dunn. Am I correct? Make sense to move the most expensive non-performer to a team with a GM with as big an ego as our guy. All we might hope for is a salary dump I don't know. Rios is the enigma here. A poor 2009 folowed by a great 2010 and now he is in the tank again. But, I think it is utterly crazy to ssay we have to keep this guy because he makes a lot on money. I kind of believe performance is the reason to keep or trade the guy.

I threw out a scenario where you try to work on the ego of some GM by reducing your asking price on CQ and throwing in some salary relief for Rios (Maybe up to 30-40%). It rids you of a sizeable bad contract to some degree and you still get something in return for CQ. Dunno just a hypothetical idea.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
@Dejan_Kovacevic

Dejan Kovacevic

#Pirates have inquired on #WhiteSox OF Carlos Quentin. Asking price astronomical. Sounds unlikely, to say the least. #tradedeadline

Im sure the Pirates think giving up anything in their long term plans is astronomical, as it should be. They can't afford to trade in their future for one decent season. They need to build a long term winner, and they are on that path.

I would actually consider NOT trading CQ as "White Flag II"

Staying content when it hasn't worked all season long and just hoping for the best in a very winnable (garbage) division is a White Flag to me.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)

I would guess the package would start with Alvarez judging by what was talked about already.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
What we need is another bat. Right now, Quentin comprises one half of the productive hitters in our lineup. Trading him for anything other than an above-average veteran bat would be a step backward.

Nah, it would be a step forward for the franchise to acquire top 5 prospects and also put your best in your major league lineup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
We really don't need to get MLB ready pitching back from ATL. We've got a 7 man bullpen that just got an upgrade and 5 guys who are starting, 4 of whom are performing well, 3 of whom will give you 7 innings almost every time out.

Very true. But with the uncertainty of Peavy's health, it is always good to have a little bit of insurance and even more depth. I wonder if KW demands a return package including Brandon Beachy?