... it's about time

bozzie

I'll give Ozzie credit for this - he's no quitter. Maybe he wants to get out of here before KW's kids make it to the bigs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5163638

Updated: May 4, 2010, 10:57 PM ETGuillen manages 1,000 gameEmailPrintCommentsESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Just before he managed his 1,000th game with the Chicago White Sox, Ozzie Guillen said on Tuesday he will have to be fired when the day comes for him to move on because he will never quit.

ESPNChicago.com White Sox blog

The latest news and notes on the White Sox. Blog

"Fired," Guillen said when asked if he thought he would quit or be fired someday. "Because I'm not going to quit. I'm not a quitter. When I want to quit I'll make sure I do a lot of stupid things to make them fire me and get paid.

"I think getting fired is better because when you quit a lot of teams out there will call you a quitter. It shows you can't handle yourself or handle the heat."

Guillen is 523-477 in seven seasons as the White Sox manager and has led the team to the playoffs twice, including a World Series victory in 2005. He is the fourth manager in franchise history to manage 1,000-plus games.

Guillen, whose White Sox lost 7-2 to the Kansas City Royals on Tuesday, believes the key to his longevity is his 13-year playing career with the White Sox, and his familiarity with the city.

"I grew up here," Guillen said. "When I was hired, 95 percent of the people probably thought I'd get fired after a year or two. I think it helps that I grew up in Chicago [during his playing career]. Looking at [Chicago Cubs manager] Lou [Piniella] and Dusty [baker], those guys didn't grow up here. I had an advantage, I know everybody. I know all the people.

"Some people love you, some people don't. I don't really care. Every day I tell the fans what they want to hear. The information is out there. I think that's refreshing for the fans. There's no hiding anything."

ESPNChicago.com baseball reporter Bruce Levine contributed to this report.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Slats Grobnik @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
I'll give Ozzie credit for this - he's no quitter. Maybe he wants to get out of here before KW's kids make it to the bigs.

Updated: May 4, 2010, 10:57 PM ETGuillen manages 1,000 gameEmailPrintCommentsESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Just before he managed his 1,000th game with the Chicago White Sox, Ozzie Guillen said on Tuesday he will have to be fired when the day comes for him to move on because he will never quit.

"Fired," Guillen said when asked if he thought he would quit or be fired someday. "Because I'm not going to quit. I'm not a quitter. When I want to quit I'll make sure I do a lot of stupid things to make them fire me and get paid.

"I think getting fired is better because when you quit a lot of teams out there will call you a quitter. It shows you can't handle yourself or handle the heat."

Guillen is 523-477 in seven seasons as the White Sox manager and has led the team to the playoffs twice, including a World Series victory in 2005. He is the fourth manager in franchise history to manage 1,000-plus games.

Guillen, whose White Sox lost 7-2 to the Kansas City Royals on Tuesday, believes the key to his longevity is his 13-year playing career with the White Sox, and his familiarity with the city.

"I grew up here," Guillen said. "When I was hired, 95 percent of the people probably thought I'd get fired after a year or two. I think it helps that I grew up in Chicago [during his playing career]. Looking at [Chicago Cubs manager] Lou [Piniella] and Dusty [baker], those guys didn't grow up here. I had an advantage, I know everybody. I know all the people.

"Some people love you, some people don't. I don't really care. Every day I tell the fans what they want to hear. The information is out there. I think that's refreshing for the fans. There's no hiding anything."

You do realize this article is dated May 4, 2010, right?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
You do realize this article is dated May 4, 2010, right?

Yes. It seems like Ozzie is doing alot of stupid things. I saw a connection. A thousand pardons.

I didn't know if posting this would be a good idea, but thought I would give it a try. I won't do it again.

QUOTE (Slats Grobnik @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
Yes. It seems like Ozzie is doing alot of stupid things. I saw a connection. A thousand pardons.

I didn't know if posting this would be a good idea, but thought I would give it a try. I won't do it again.

lol. Calm down. I just wondered if you realized it. You did nothing wrong.

QUOTE (Slats Grobnik @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)

He's no quitter but can't work with only one year left on his contract. Ozzie only speaks the truth.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
I cannot believe I have just read this sentence. To get this straight: You blame Ozzie and his staff for those two nonperforming zillionaires?

Ozzie gets the blame for Mr. Whiff and arguably the laziest player in baseball?

Of course it's Ozzie's fault. If you can't see that you're a moron like the rest of us. The only way this team will ever be good again is they hire the like of Dave Martinez. He's a great manager in waiting. the fact that no one has has hires th sure fire HOF manger yet, is inconceivable. Don't hold the players accountable for sucking, it's OG's fault and that's it. If you post it enough times and the post are long enough, it's even more believable. Rick Hahn and Dave Martinez=====WS Champs 2012.

Of course it's Ozzie's fault. If you can't see that you're a moron like the rest of us. The only way this team will ever be good again is they hire the like of Dave Martinez. He's a great manager in waiting. the fact that no one has has hires th sure fire HOF manger yet, is inconceivable. Don't hold the players accountable for sucking, it's OG's fault and that's it. If you post it enough times and the post are long enough, it's even more believable. Rick Hahn and Dave Martinez=====WS Champs 2012.

LOL, these silly posts slay me. No logic whatsoever.

No, bro... it's NOT "all" Ozzie's fault... but a LOT of it is. You people that use desperate cop-outs as opposed to logic to defend the man in question kill any chance at having any credibility as a poster in doing so.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)

I find it funny that you sarcastically refer to yourself as a moron, then follow that up with about 14 grammatical errors.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
LOL, these silly posts slay me. No logic whatsoever.

No, bro... it's NOT "all" Ozzie's fault... but a LOT of it is. You people that use desperate cop-outs as opposed to logic to defend the man in question kill any chance at having any credibility as a poster in doing so.

It's laughable to think Dave Martinez is going to please the people on this board.

Wait til his in-game decisions fail.

Players win games.

Managers like Ozzie normally are perfect cause they are humorous sideshows and take the pressure off the players. As far as decisions, no f***ing way Dave Martinez is some big upgrade over Ozzie who has a ton of experience now.

If Oz wins another WS in Florida he's a future Hall of Famer. Deal with that, haters.

Players win games.

Managers like Ozzie normally are perfect cause they are humorous sideshows and take the pressure off the players.

Good decisions managers make are in no way important and never determine whether a game is won or lost.

Is that correct, greg?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)
Wow.

I love when people lose it and freak out on here.

You are wrong BTW. We Ozzie lovers also think he's made mistakes. This Ozzie lover will not be surprised nor will I cry or be sad when he gets the boot.

I also will wish our new manager well.

But I also recognize why he is playing the high paid guys and why he's batting them so high. Some people act like we are crazy. Well I tell u to get used to seeing Adam batting fourth next year no matter who our skipper is. And Rios fifth.

I don't read every post but while I've seen you make posts to the effect that Ozzie probably does deserve to be fired, I've never, not once seen you criticize any of Ozzie's decisions that he's made... ever. So I can hardly fault anyone for thinking the things they do.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
Won Rookie of the Year in Chicago

Selected to multiple All Star Games/Pro Bowls as player in Chicago

Won seminal World Title as coach/manager

Very charismatic

Person you/the media think(s) of when they think Chicago coaching history

Has a snappy mustache

:unsure:

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Good decisions managers make are in no way important and never determine whether a game is won or lost.

Is that correct, greg?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)
I don't read every post but while I've seen you make posts to the effect that Ozzie probably does deserve to be fired, I've never, not once seen you criticize any of Ozzie's decisions that he's made... ever. So I can hardly fault anyone for thinking the things they do.

1.) I think managers can influence the result of a game on given days.

2.) I think Ozzie made a mistake in pinch hitting Dunn the other day.

I think he's made mistakes certain times he's made guys bunt when he knows darn well our guys are s***ty bunters and there's a good chance the bunter will f*** up. So on many occasions where the game threads have imploded over the bunt, I do agree Oz has f***ed up on that more than once.

(where I get in trouble with most on the board)

3.) I can't get on Ozzie too much for playing Dunn and Rios too much because whether right or wrong, I am of the firm opinion that even though Kenny once said he had the right to play who he wanted, REALITY doesn't work that way and the zillionaires with 3-4 years left on a deal do play. Do I prefer him bat Dunn seventh or eighth? Yes but I can understand why he hasn't.

4.) And 4, I don't get worked up about his choice of relief pitchers like some of you do so I don't blame him when somebody like Crain gives up a bomb and you guys wanted Matt or something like that. I am a personnel guy and expect the pitchers to get the guys out. Generally if Oz makes the wrong choice of a reliever, I tend to blame the guy with the ball in his hand way more than Oz.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
I do think people really over-react on Ozzie about the relievers sometimes.

Every fan of every team gets upset about their manager's use of relievers. It's a matter of fact with today's brand of baseball. Unless you are a Braves fan and you have Venters/Kimbrel, but even then you complain that he over-uses them.

3.) I can't get on Ozzie too much for playing Dunn and Rios too much because whether right or wrong, I am of the firm opinion that even though Kenny once said he had the right to play who he wanted, REALITY doesn't work that way and the zillionaires with 3-4 years left on a deal do play. Do I prefer him bat Dunn seventh or eighth? Yes but I can understand why he hasn't.

4.) And 4, I don't get worked up about his choice of relief pitchers like some of you do so I don't blame him when somebody like Crain gives up a bomb and you guys wanted Matt or something like that. I am a personnel guy and expect the pitchers to get the guys out. Generally if Oz makes the wrong choice of a reliever, I tend to blame the guy with the ball in his hand way more than Oz.

Reality totally DOES work that way, greg. When you care about winning, you simply don't put a guy who's hitting barely over a buck in games day in and day out because of money. I realize in your mind this makes no sense... but it is entirely sensible.

No reason not to blame the pitcher for giving up a big hit/out... but you appear to be as blind and ignorant as Ozzie is when it comes to pitching matchups; they matter a gigantic amount. When said hitter is hitting .320 against righties and .145 against lefties and Ozzie still plays the "matchup" game and puts a righty in to face the hitter... you apparently think Ozzie did nothing wrong.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)
Reality totally DOES work that way, greg. When you care about winning, you simply don't put a guy who's hitting barely over a buck in games day in and day out because of money. I realize in your mind this makes no sense... but it is entirely sensible.

No reason not to blame the pitcher for giving up a big hit/out... but you appear to be as blind and ignorant as Ozzie is when it comes to pitching matchups; they matter a gigantic amount. When said hitter is hitting .320 against righties and .145 against lefties and Ozzie still plays the "matchup" game and puts a righty in to face the hitter... you apparently think Ozzie did nothing wrong.

But what about the times it works when he leaves Crain in too long and Crain gets the lefty out?

Nobody ever says squat when it works. And it does work.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
But what about the times it works when he leaves Crain in too long and Crain gets the lefty out?

The majority of the people around here are just tired of Ozzies act and frustrated with how the players have under achieved..

There is really no such thing as a "good" manager, its a lucky guy on a talented team.. gimme a break, I could be named manager of the Phillies tomorrow and not a single thing would change.. all they need to do is make EASY decisions like this guy pitches now, or this guy will hit in this spot.. a moron can win a World Series (OZZIE!?!)

I cant stand when people slurp on Joe Maddon, get the hell out of here.. that guy got lucky he got a team that had been stockpiling great young talent for YEARS.. Its all about the talent, and what the team is able to afford.. The only thing the manager needs to do is not lose the clubhouse and make OBVIOUS decisions that most of you arm chair quarterbacks sitting at your computer do every game..

I cant imagine how anyone could possibly think that a different manager would have changed anything about this season.. Like I said, they are just tired of his act

This is what you don't get. Whether it turns out good or bad, a bad decision is a bad decision. Dunn hasn't worked out, but signing him to the deal we did was a GOOD decision. If you do something stupid that should cause damage in some way, but luck intervenes and nothing bad happens, does that now mean what you did wasn't stupid? No.

This is elementary logic, greg. If Ozzie plays the right/lefty matchup even when the stats are DRAMATICALLY against his decision and the pitcher still gets the out unscathed, putting it said pitcher does NOT cease to be a bad decision. There is no arguing with this; it's a fact.

Edited by TheBigHurt

all they need to do is make EASY decisions like this guy pitches now, or this guy will hit in this spot.

Correct. Ozzie can't make those very well.

I cant imagine how anyone could possibly think that a different manager would have changed anything about this season.

If said manager could do what you JUST illiustrated, obviously a different manager WOULD have changed a LOT about this season... and every season since 2006 at LEAST. <_<

I happen to think Ozzie's idiotic managing is a bigger issue than his childish antics.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)

That's the one thing you will never understand and you've proven it time and time again.

If Ozzie were to bring in Frasor in the 9th instead of Santos in a 1 run game to pitch to Migueal Cabrera and 1st base was open (man on 3rd) you would somehow think it was a good idea if they actually pitched to Cabrera and miraculously got an out. That would be considered a boneheaded managerial decision by anyone with half a brain but you would praise Ozzie if this one time it worked against the odds. More often than not, bringing in a terrible pitcher when you have better options and then to pitch to the opponent's deadliest hitter will likely result in the opponent getting a key hit and beating you. I don't understand why you never seem to get this. To you, correlation equals causation. Frasor got the out so that means Ozzie made a great move. Not even Hawk, Stoney or any other analyst/expert would agree with you.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Sep 5, 2011 -> 04:48 AM)
Correct. Ozzie can't make those very well.

If said manager could do what you JUST illiustrated, obviously a different manager WOULD have changed a LOT about this season... and every season since 2006 at LEAST. <_>

I happen to think Ozzie's idiotic managing is a bigger issue than his childish antics.

Sorry, but if Dunn didn't crap his pants and Peavy and Rios where at least decent, no one would be talking about any of this..