... it's about time

bozzie

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)
I've been talking to a lot of baseball fans outside of Chicago and ask them what their perception is of Ozzie Guillen.

They all say that he is a good manager.

I ask them all if they can understand why a message board I frequent wants him fired and believes he will be fired.

They say, 'No.'

If we finish .500, folks, Ozzie being fired will be perceived as unfair nationally.

Well that will certainly help Oz in his job search.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been talking to a lot of baseball fans outside of Chicago and ask them what their perception is of Ozzie Guillen.

I ask them all if they can understand why a message board I frequent wants him fired and believes he will be fired.

They say, 'No.'

If we finish .500, folks, Ozzie being fired will be perceived as unfair nationally.

Who cares what people in KC or Houston or Seattle care about whether or not Ozzie is fired. You say you asked "a lot" of fans outside of Chicago, and they all like Ozzie. Since they're not in Chicago, I'm sure they don't know everything that goes on like we do. We are much more informed group of people when it comes to Ozzie than people outside of the area. My guess is that they like Ozzie for the same reason you do: He's fun, loud, tells it like it is, is a "players' manager". How about judging a guy on what he's supposed to be doing, and that's putting the best team possible on the field and making good in-game decisions.

They say, 'No.'

JR should consult with those people on all his moves.

Do you really value opinions of those that see him 4 or 5 times a year vs. people who see him every single day?

You yourself have called for his head.

Wasn't national opinion that Doug Collins getting whacked was unfair? That didn't work out too badly. And why would anyone car what someone else thought? You do what's best for your team.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 07:11 AM)
JR should consult with those people on all his moves.

You really value opinions of those that see him 4 or 5 times a year vs. people who see him every single day?

You yourself have called for his head.

Stop playing games, Dick. You know you yourself have gone out of your way to ask fans outside of Chicago what their opinion is of Greg Walker and why a message board you post at deems him unfit. You know it. Ha.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 04:15 AM)
He didn't say random people, I assume he meant he asked people he knows in KC or wherever he is at.. somewhere round there I thought

Tru, you are not that gullable. Greg is my guy. But I don't believe he went out and asked fans why a White Sox message board hates Ozzie. Like they would be able to tell him a damn thing. lol.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 12:55 AM)

They say, 'No.'

Of course, the counterpoint to that is that survey a couple years ago that found Ozzie was the 2nd most disliked manager in baseball, next to Pinella, who is no longer managing in baseball.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 07:21 AM)
Tru, you are not that gullable. Greg is my guy. But I don't believe he went out and asked fans why a White Sox message board hates Ozzie. Like they would be able to tell him a damn thing. lol.

You're not getting it.. basically what I got from what he said was that he asked people he knows, where he lives, that aren't Sox fans what they think about Ozzie..

No, I would not believe Greg hit the streets to ask the random people he saw about Ozzie and the White Sox situation.. that would be ridiculous..

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
You're not getting it.. basically what I got from what he said was that he asked people he knows, where he lives, that aren't Sox fans what they think about Ozzie..

No, I would not believe Greg hit the streets to ask the random people he saw about Ozzie and the White Sox situation.. that would be ridiculous..

People in Lawrence Kansas have no problem with Ozzie Guillen? Wow! How insightful. I am certain they spend a ton of time following his lineups, in-game decisions, and bullpen moves.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)

Yeah, he doesn't really specify if he was just chatting with some friends of his on-line or if he actually went out and asked around. I never know with him. Either way, whoever he talked to apparently agreed with him. Now he's using that as some kinda parameter as to why Ozzie is not as bad as Soxtalk makes him out to be. That's unquestionably ridiculous.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Yeah, he doesn't really specify if he was just chatting with some friends of his on-line or if he actually went out and asked around. I never know with him. Either way, whoever he talked to apparently agreed with him. Now he's using that as some kinda parameter as to why Ozzie is not as bad as Soxtalk makes him out to be. That's unquestionably ridiculous.

Oh I know, its very ridiculous.. Hes gone after this year, I think that's just about set in stone..

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)

I asked some Royals fans I know about Ozzie.

Some of them are sabes people. All of them thought it out of the realm of possibility fans want him fired.

One guy said he probably should be on the hot seat if they suck next year but the WS title still should bide him some time and our players are overrated.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)

Some of them are sabes people. All of them thought it out of the realm of possibility fans want him fired.

One guy said he probably should be on the hot seat if they suck next year but the WS title still should bide him some time and our players are overrated.

The WS title from 6 years ago? Or was there another one more recently?

Did you also solicit feedback on your opinion that Juan Pierre is a very good player?

The Royals have 0 playoff appearances in 26 years & 1 winning season in 17 years. I'm sure they have the same expectations in their team/manager as Sox fans do.

It's like saying a guy was employee of the month once, but in the year since he's been late 6 times, called off 5 times, and been asleep at his desk a few times...oh, and he makes an ass of himself with loud, obnoxious behavior with customers. But, you know, that employee of the month plaque buys him more time. Give me a break.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
It's like saying a guy was employee of the month once, but in the year since he's been late 6 times, called off 5 times, and been asleep at his desk a few times...oh, and he makes an ass of himself with loud, obnoxious behavior with customers. But, you know, that employee of the month plaque buys him more time. Give me a break.

+1000000000

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
Did you also solicit feedback on your opinion that Juan Pierre is a very good player?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 8, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)

1.) Not yet. Good idea tho.

2.) Some of you guys act like Ozzie is this big buffoon of a manager like Bevington. I can't believe how some of you think he's the scum of the earth as a manager when he's actually good, or at least average. Some act like he is Bevington.

Edited by greg775

1.) Not yet. Good idea tho.

2.) Some of you guys act like Ozzie is this big buffoon of a manager like Bevington. I can't believe how some of you think he's the scum of the earth as a manager when he's actually good, or at least average. Some act like he is Bevington.

"Average?" And you're cool with that? The guy made a perfect analogy. And Ozzie IS a buffoon of a manager; he screws up the simplest of decisions, ignores stats, goes off on inappropriate tirades on a regular basis and constantly insults/throws his players under the bus.

There's nothing left to like about Ozzie at this point. The only thing I enjoy is when he now and then cracks a funny joke. That's definitely not grounds for keeping someone around.