Ozzie Guillen Appreciation Thread

Quin

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
Ozzie had nothing to do with 2005. It's pretty easy to sit back and allow your starters, acquired by your GM, to just pitch you through the playoffs. Good riddance, Ozzie!

Dude, if you think Ozzie's attitude and the team's style of play had nothing to do with taking that group and winning a World Series with it, you are clearly jaded too far anti-Ozzie.

I dislike your post here, greatly. It was an ugly divorce, and it's been a long-time coming, but Ozzie had a ton to do with 2005 and with making the White Sox relevant in the national baseball landscape.

I am extremely pleased that he had his tenure as White Sox manager. Sure, it was time to go, but Ozzie goes down as one of our best.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Dude, if you think Ozzie's attitude and the team's style of play had nothing to do with taking that group and winning a World Series with it, you are clearly jaded too far anti-Ozzie.

I dislike your post here, greatly. It was an ugly divorce, and it's been a long-time coming, but Ozzie had a ton to do with 2005 and with making the White Sox relevant in the national baseball landscape.

I am extremely pleased that he had his tenure as White Sox manager. Sure, it was time to go, but Ozzie goes down as one of our best.

That version of Ozzie was exactly the perfect fit for that team.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
It was just the perfect mix of personalities. The complexion of the team seemed to change after Crede fell apart and Rowand was moved, and Ozzie never adjusted.

Sifting through the vitriol, there are a lot of great observations in this thread, particularly this comment. OG was great for that team and a good manager overall but no longer a fit for the current roster KW gave him. Every time he inexplicably ran Dunn and Rios out there, I wasn't sure he was doing it to get himself fired or was trying to expose KW's mistakes and get him fired instead. It was a great run, a lot of fun, but time to go. I agree the Sox headlines (if there are any) won't be as exciting in 2012, but 2011 was enough for me.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
Sifting through the vitriol, there are a lot of great observations in this thread, particularly this comment. OG was great for that team and a good manager overall but no longer a fit for the current roster KW gave him. Every time he inexplicably ran Dunn and Rios out there, I wasn't sure he was doing it to get himself fired or was trying to expose KW's mistakes and get him fired instead. It was a great run, a lot of fun, but time to go. I agree the Sox headlines (if there are any) won't be as exciting in 2012, but 2011 was enough for me.

I don't think it was just Ozzie not fitting well with the roster. I think that Ozzie is a different person these days too.

This is the appreciation thread so I'm going to stop there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
I am going to not take the troll bait and actually stay with the topic at hand here.

Ozzie Guillen has been a huge part of my life as a Sox fan. I was 9 during the magical 1983 season, and was devastated that the Sox traded Lamar Hoyt away. Of course I had no idea what Hoyt liked to do in his free time, but that is a different story. When Ozzie came to the Sox watching him play was like watching a player that I could be. He wasn't especially athletic and strong, but he was a smart player, and a guy who would use whatever advantage he could create. Watching him handle the bat, and play his position was just awesome. I'll also never forget he was the player who treated the kids who came to see him at the ballpark the best. I think I had something like half a dozen different Guillen autographs over the years.

As a manager he was a whole new world. Especially coming out of the Jerry Manuel era which was so boring and lacking direction. He really seemed to just excite players and get that extra something out of them. He never was an X's and O's type of guy, but few managers could get what he did out of his players for a lot of years.

Good luck Ozzie, hopefully you learned something in Chicago, and do better at your next stop.

I'm not sure you can call the only player to ever fall for the hidden ball trick twice a smart player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
I don't think it was just Ozzie not fitting well with the roster. I think that Ozzie is a different person these days too.

Is there a non appreciative thread so I can review all things bad ozzie?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Like Konerko said, if you would've told me in 2003 that we'd get Ozzie for 8 years and he'd win one WS, I would've said sign me up.

Thanks Ozzie, and good luck.

And if you would've told me that in the six years proceeding '05 that a single playoff win is all that he would've collected, I would've said it's time for a change. Good riddance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)

I agree and also did not want to elaborate too much in an appreciation thread. He had some great moments and some exceptional traits you want from your manager but like all of us, he wasn't without fault. I wish him the best and hope he reaches that next level and cements himself as an elite manager. Who knows, maybe he can become our Billy Martin and come back to lead the Sox to another title some day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)

This is precisely what I was going to say....Ozzie has changed. While not as vocal on this board, I've wanted OG gone for a few seasons but that's only because he changed. When he came on the scene he was hungry, enthusiastic, and had a great gut for when to open his mouth and when to keep it shut. He kept media scrutiny off of his team when necessary by making himself the story. He was never a great strategist, but an outstanding leader.

He's just not that man any longer. I'm not sure what corrupted him, but I hope that Miami gets a hungry Ozzie....they'll have a fun season or two if they do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I am going to not take the troll bait and actually stay with the topic at hand here.

Ozzie Guillen has been a huge part of my life as a Sox fan. I was 9 during the magical 1983 season, and was devastated that the Sox traded Lamar Hoyt away. Of course I had no idea what Hoyt liked to do in his free time, but that is a different story. When Ozzie came to the Sox watching him play was like watching a player that I could be. He wasn't especially athletic and strong, but he was a smart player, and a guy who would use whatever advantage he could create. Watching him handle the bat, and play his position was just awesome. I'll also never forget he was the player who treated the kids who came to see him at the ballpark the best. I think I had something like half a dozen different Guillen autographs over the years.

As a manager he was a whole new world. Especially coming out of the Jerry Manuel era which was so boring and lacking direction. He really seemed to just excite players and get that extra something out of them. He never was an X's and O's type of guy, but few managers could get what he did out of his players for a lot of years.

Good luck Ozzie, hopefully you learned something in Chicago, and do better at your next stop.

Great great post.

Classy and respectful of my favorite manager of all time and one of my favorite players.