Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 05:56 AM)
You remember how much of the season we spent complaining about the seeming complete lack of professionalism coming from the front office? The lack of respect for the people watching the games, paying their bills, etc.?

I thought we'd gotten rid of most of that when we got rid of Ozzie...but this move reeks of the same ethos. I feel like this is a giant middle finger at me.

How? Ventura will be nothing but a professional.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Why would you say they are similar?

Everyone who has commented on this that knows Robin are saying he was easily the most respected player on the teams he was on. Even Joey (Ozzies Buttplug) Cora came out and said he was more respected in the locker room. Managing a team of players who have vets who dont really need much managing and players that already respect the guy since he's been around with them the last few years shouldnt be that hard. I love this hire, much more than if it was TLR or Sandy.

They are both quiet, respected guys who are not good with the media and are supposedly subtle leaders in the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
How? Ventura will be nothing but a professional.

But still, by his own admission, he had no real serious thoughts or plans to manage until the Sox offered him the job. That's simply not an effective way to run a business to my eyes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
But still, by his own admission, he had no real serious thoughts or plans to manage until the Sox offered him the job. That's simply not an effective way to run a business to my eyes.

You're telling me it's a bad idea to avoid picking someone who's been actively involved with a baseball organization from a day-to-day standpoint by managing/coaching and instead going with a guy that has done virtually nothing in the game since he played many years ago?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
You're telling me it's a bad idea to avoid picking someone who's been actively involved with a baseball organization from a day-to-day standpoint by managing/coaching and instead going with a guy that has done virtually nothing in the game since he played many years ago?

Uh...yes?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
Haha.

I couldn't agree more. We've been agreeing far too much recently, and it scares me.

Do you agree that this was also a PR move to garner the good will of fans who loved him as a player?

I do. I'm also a bit pissed because i feel like it makes me, as both a White Sox fan and a Robin Ventura, no longer have the right to seperate the two. I will always love Robin Ventura the player, and now i'm going to have to always make that distinction when things (inevitably) go south.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
So does anyone know anything about Ventura's mindset as a manager? Does he play small ball, does he favor statistics, is he somewhat in between? Or is he such a WTF hire that nobody knows?

Nobody has a clue.

Maybe he'll push people to try to beat Dimaggio's hit streak record. THat'd be fun.

Holding players accountable and making them act more professional while supporting their teammates is already a good start. It used to piss me off when you'd see the dugout empty because the guys would be watching tv in the clubhouse or video in the room behind the dugout.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
Holding players accountable and making them act more professional while supporting their teammates is already a good start.

All of your evidence that he'll do this is absolutely spectacular.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Why don't you ask the Sox pitchers what they think of Coop? Oh wait, they freaking love him.

Coop really gets me to thinking about Buddy Ryan. Perhaps unfairly, but the same vague feeling that he is perfect in his position, don't mess it up by giving him the big seat.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
So does anyone know anything about Ventura's mindset as a manager? Does he play small ball, does he favor statistics, is he somewhat in between? Or is he such a WTF hire that nobody knows?

Sorry to interrupt the melodramatic whining this tread is overflowing with to interject actual facts, but KW stated yesterday that based on his many discussions with Ventura, Robin's mindset as a Manager will include a combo of progressive use of metrics and an old-school insistence that his players be accountable, play the game using fundamentals and with a clear mind not filled with too much information.

Sounds like EXACTLY what this team needs.

We now return to our regularly scheduled hyperbolic programming....

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
All of your evidence that he'll do this is absolutely spectacular.

Well he has a long history of doing that very thing with his teammates within the organization as stated by several players recently. Your evidence he won't continue this is even more impressive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)

And how many businesses have you run, Balta?

GMAFB. History is f***ing filled with companies that succeeded with leaders who didn't have all the experience in the world, in a hell of a lot more complicated industries than Major League f***ing Baseball.

You are so much smarter than this, and yet you're just on your period and so you want to be pissy. You're much better as a poster when you actually use that incredible brain of yours, rather than your whiny "woe is me" mood.

Sack up and analyze this the way you do everything else.