Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:53 PM)
I hope Robin can get through to Beckham about the mental side of the game.

They need to give Beckham one more year, and having a manager that has gone through a similar experience may pay off for Gordon.

Man, if only Venutra ever dealt with a prolonged slump

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that so many people are quick to point out that there's really not that much to managing a Major League Baseball game. I find it interesting how trivial so many think it to be, yet the manager is in charge of over 100 million dollars of contracts.

I find it interesting how many people think having a manager is extremely unimportant, and that anyone could do the job.

I find all of that very interesting.

In this post, feel free to substitute the word "interesting" with the word "stupid".

I don't know how I feel about this. Now who would be bench coach/hitting coach? I would expect the bench coach to be somebody with a decent amount of experience which is why I believe it will be Buddy Bell.

I find it interesting that so many people are quick to point out that there's really not that much to managing a Major League Baseball game. I find it interesting how trivial so many think it to be, yet the manager is in charge of over 100 million dollars of contracts.

I find it interesting how many people think having a manager is extremely unimportant, and that anyone could do the job.

In this post, feel free to substitute the word "interesting" with the word "stupid".

Maybe it has to do with the fact that so many first time managers have had great success at the big league level like ....Ozzie Guillen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
I hope Robin can get through to Beckham about the mental side of the game.

They need to give Beckham one more year, and having a manager that has gone through a similar experience may pay off for Gordon.

And I'm sure this is a huge reason they brought in Robin. They need someone to get along with the players, have them open their minds to new approaches, etc. They need someone to get these guys to play like they actually care. We're not a WS contender full of veterans in need of a manager who will keep everyone on the same page and make the right in-game decisions, we're basically a team in need of a brand new identity and a new starting point to build from.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)

I think you need someone that can manage the personality of those ego's and help players when they are up/down and essentially be there to help support his guys through the grind. I think that is more difficult than people think. Just look at all of the stuff coming out of Boston regarding there clubhouse and I'm pretty convinced the Sox players were pretty frustrated with Ozzie and have been for a couple years (can't blame them either, there manager was a pompous jackass).

It's so difficult for me to separate my love of Ventura the player with my feelings on this move. I wish I could look at things through JR-colored glasses, but there's a reason managers are paid and there's a reason some are held in high-regard and some aren't.

There's also a reason that you don't just hire someone who's never done anything remotely close to this job on any level. I have to imagine a lot in the industry are going to be pissed. I have to imagine the White Sox lost even more respect in baseball.

I'd like to see a Riggleman or someone like that in as bench coach to guide Robin along. I hope Robin does great, of course, I just question the decision for an organization that has so much on the line after failing to do anything right lately.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
And as mentioned there have been plenty of managers who have succeeded with out prior coaching experience. I'm certainly not excited about this move but I'm not disappointed either, it's clearly a wait and see type move. I completely understand why everyone wants to trash every move this organization makes(and I've been right there with you guys most of the time) but Robin hasn't been apart of this garbage, I'll wait to see what he can do before I condemn this move.

I'd like more examples, then. Girardi was a bench coach, Torre player-managed before he became a full-time manager, and Connie Mack began coaching in the 19th century.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
Maybe it has to do with the fact that so many first time managers have had great success at the big league level like ....Ozzie Guillen.

No managerial experience is quite different from no coaching experience.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
And they all have just as good of a chance to be a good manager as Dave Martinez or Sandy Alomar.

I bet there are a few fans out there absolutely uninvolved with baseball that could also have just as good of a chance to be a good manager. I know people are going to fight it to the death, but we should have gone with a guy with some semblance of experience at coaching/managing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
There's also a reason that you don't just hire someone who's never done anything remotely close to this job on any level. I have to imagine a lot in the industry are going to be pissed. I have to imagine the White Sox lost even more respect in baseball.

What's giving me pause is that there has been the opposite of a backlash from those in the industry

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)

Without even going into whether I agree or not, this is a tremendously well done post.