2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2012 -> 06:40 AM)
i didnt expect to see Olivia Wilde and Leslie Mann naked. That was a nice curveball after the changeup

Mann was a prosthetic

John Carter was 5-10X worse.

Same lead actor.

Battleship was fine for what it was....super loud, little character development, completely unrealistic or plausible, Michael Bay knockoff or "lite" but good summer popcorn movie fun.

Rihanna was actually pretty good, in her supporting role.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
:lolhitting

How can that be possible? How can anyone's expectations of that "film" be anything other than rock bottom going in?

By definition, he did pay money for it expecting to see a film. Perhaps it wasn't actually a film?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
I want to reiterate that I am ridiculously excited to see Prometheus.

That is all.

This.

One thing I hope this movie does is prove that a prequel can be done correctly

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
This.

One thing I hope this movie does is prove that a prequel can be done correctly

Don't think it's a prequel. Just takes place in the same Alien universe. That's what Lindelof says anyway.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 18, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
Don't think it's a prequel. Just takes place in the same Alien universe. That's what Lindelof says anyway.

It is a prequel. Prometheus trailers have already shown the Space jockey suit/pilot cockpit that is in the abandoned alien ship

in the original movie.

This movie is going to explain why that ship got there.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 18, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
It is a prequel. Prometheus trailers have already shown the Space jockey suit/pilot cockpit that is in the abandoned alien ship

in the original movie.

This movie is going to explain why that ship got there.

I havent seen Alien in forever and is a shame because I like it the best of the 4. Not sure if I should rewatch before or after Prometheus.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 18, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
I havent seen Alien in forever and is a shame because I like it the best of the 4. Not sure if I should rewatch before or after Prometheus.

Prometheus is a stand-alone prequel, so watching Alien isn't a prerequisite. Ridley Scott said that it surprised him that it surprised him that nobody asked why a ship with a cargo full of alien eggs and a dead alien(space jockey) was just sitting there sending out a distress signal. It is such a small part of Alien, they go into the ship, a facehugger jumps on John Hurt, and they leave the ship with an alien. Nobody bothered to ask why it was there, hence Ridley Scott is gonna tell us.

I expected battleship to basically be one massive, glorious battle between the combined might of the US Navy and some whatever-ish aliens. Lots of CGI, lots of s*** exploding, lots of just plain awesomeness. I've always had a huge interest in the naval side of world war 2, which was kind of the last hurrah of the battleship and ship-to-ship battles. I figured this would put a modern spin on that kind of stuff. Also, Liam Neeson was an admiral, so I thought it'd be cool to see him in locked in combat with some generic alien dudes.

What I got was, without spoiling anything (But who cares), the entire US Navy minus two destroyers aeing locked out of the battle by a force field. There was a 3rd Japanese destroyer, but yea... two of the human boats are sunk right off the bat, so its basically a ship not too much larger than the big coast guard boat that parks at Navy Pier for the Mackinaw race every year. That's it. Liam Neeson basically sits on the deck of the Nimitz shrugging his shoulders. No epicness, no huge awesome battle, just boring lameness.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
I want to reiterate that I am ridiculously excited to see Prometheus.

That is all.

I read somebody's plot preview from a screening. It was fairly detailed. I sort of want to see it, but I'm not sure I want to stay for all the weird s*** that will be in it.

Based on the previews that was the part I couldnt understand.

Wouldnt people just rather have watched 1-2 hours of a huge navy battle between 2 sides (Us v aliens, whatever)?

How it should have gone:

1. Scientist sees something on radar

2. Summon the joint chiefs!

3. It landed in the ocean!

4. Send everything we got!

5. MASSIVE KILLTACULAR

6. Ships sinking everywhere, aliens gettin' rocked by the latest and greatest

7. Liam Neeson suicides a nuclear aircraft carrier into the mothership, saving the world

8. USA USA USA USA USA USA USA WE DID IT

We have an all time classic.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 19, 2012 -> 12:49 AM)
How it should have gone:

1. Scientist sees something on radar

2. Summon the joint chiefs!

3. It landed in the ocean!

4. Send everything we got!

5. MASSIVE KILLTACULAR

6. Ships sinking everywhere, aliens gettin' rocked by the latest and greatest

7. Liam Neeson suicides a nuclear aircraft carrier into the mothership, saving the world

8. USA USA USA USA USA USA USA WE DID IT

We have an all time classic.

So Independence Day in the water?