Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
Was 0-3 yesterday. Swing felt awful. Wasn't staying balanced and couldn't square anything up. We still won. Other team was pissed.

Ha, I was opposite, felt great. I was 4/6 with a double, 4 RBI, a sac fly, and 3 walks. I hate taking walks but the kid just wasn't close(2 of the walks were in the 19 run inning)

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)
Had to dig this up just to say that we scored 19 runs in one inning yesterday. I have never been a part of a game like that before, we used three columns in the book for the 5th inning, I batted 3 times.

We won 36-10 in 5

In a coed league a couple of years ago, we played a game short 1 player so the 10th spot in the lineup was a automatic out. That 10th spot was responsible for all 3 outs in the first inning.

We turned a game-ending triple play yesterday in the quarter-finals of a tournament. They had bases lodaed, nobody out, and we were up by only 1. It's probably the most exciting play I've ever been apart of in slow pitch softball.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
We turned a game-ending triple play yesterday in the quarter-finals of a tournament. They had bases lodaed, nobody out, and we were up by only 1. It's probably the most exciting play I've ever been apart of in slow pitch softball.

Description please.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Description please.

We were up 9-6 to start the inning. Girl bloops one right in front of our RFer. Whatever, nothing hurt. Next guy hits a single. Guy after him hits a pretty routine flyner to our LFer, who misreads it and has it go over his head. So now we're kinda screwed. Tying run on second with nobody out. Then we pitch around the next guy since he hit a 3 run bomb on us in the first. That loads the bases (in this version of co-ed, if the guy hits in front of the girl and walks, he gets two bases and the girl gets to decide if she wants to hit or walk). So now we're f***ed. There's maybe a 1% chance we win this game.

Next batter comes up and hits what seems like a single to our RFer. It hangs up and we get the first out. RFer throws to first to get the force since nobody tagged (terrible base running). Then our first baseman fires it to second to get the guy at second, who also didn't tag. Game over. We were all in disbelief. We could have gotten 4 outs on the play if we needed it. :lol:

In a tournament where half of our team failed to hit period and where we didn't score more than 9 runs in any game, we got to the semi-finals and lost to the eventual winners (who beat the second place team by 21 runs in 3 innings). Had we played like we could have, we could have won it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
That is awesome. bad base running is such a huge part of softball, for better or worse.

A lot of that play was just dumb base running. The guy on third didn't even tag. You always tag on a fly ball or line drive if you're on third. You're scoring if it drops and you're probably scoring if it's caught. There's no point in leaving the base, especially when it's bases loaded and nobody out.

Still, what are the odds right?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
A lot of that play was just dumb base running. The guy on third didn't even tag. You always tag on a fly ball or line drive if you're on third. You're scoring if it drops and you're probably scoring if it's caught. There's no point in leaving the base, especially when it's bases loaded and nobody out.

Still, what are the odds right?

Check this play out, we had bases loaded 0 out last Thursday, my catcher hit a single to right and the guy on second was really slow so he went station to station. The runner behind him didn't see he stopped and ran all the way to third, they throw the ball in, and tag the slow runner out, then throw across the diamond and nail my catcher who is slow as f*** and a bad base runner.

THEN the entire team forgets the outs, and walks off the field. The runner that started the craziness starts yelling "only two outs!" And runs all the way home and scores.

I told the guy doing the book to just forget it and shade the entire block in the book, lol

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Unless it is indoors, I doubt you are playing tonight.

with this being the end of the season and October, they will make us play unless it is straight up pouring and/or lightning

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
with this being the end of the season and October, they will make us play unless it is straight up pouring and/or lightning

I hated playing in slop, especially in the outfield. I liked fall ball well enough unless it was soggy out - if it was dry and cold, that was my kind of weather!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
We got cancelled. The field in Hoffman Estates is next to a marsh, and they called it at noon. Yay for cold makeups

One year my fall ball team had a championship game postponed because neither of the umpires brought a ball and the sporting goods store wasn't open yet.

It was sunny and about 60 degrees that day.

The next week it was around 30 degrees and snowing HARD during our title game. That's not why we lost, but it sucked.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 13, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
One year my fall ball team had a championship game postponed because neither of the umpires brought a ball and the sporting goods store wasn't open yet.

It was sunny and about 60 degrees that day.

The next week it was around 30 degrees and snowing HARD during our title game. That's not why we lost, but it sucked.

In 2009 every game in October was rained out, and we had our playoff in November, I think on the 9th. The tournament was on a sunday(we play on thursday nights) at 9 am because that was the only time they could get us in. It was 32 degrees at gametime and a sheet of ice was on the infield

Final chance at softball glory tonite, playoffs in Hoffman Estates at 630. Last thursday we lost in the second round, won our first game 18-9 and lost the second game 6-3. I felt good though, I was 6/7 with 2 doubles and 5 RBI

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
That is awesome. bad base running is such a huge part of softball, for better or worse.

Bad baserunning, and not hitting the cutoff man on defense. In my men's league it's hit or miss, but in the co-ed leagues I do sometimes, any hit to the OF is an automatic double because I just watch the throw and take off rounding 1st. It's rarely ever thrown in timely, or to the right person. In my men's league, you can usually swipe 2nd on throws home because everyone wants to be the OF hero who guns a guy out at home, so I take 2B on those throws every time.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Bad baserunning, and not hitting the cutoff man on defense. In my men's league it's hit or miss, but in the co-ed leagues I do sometimes, any hit to the OF is an automatic double because I just watch the throw and take off rounding 1st. It's rarely ever thrown in timely, or to the right person. In my men's league, you can usually swipe 2nd on throws home because everyone wants to be the OF hero who guns a guy out at home, so I take 2B on those throws every time.

As funny as it sounds, hitting the cutoff man makes the difference in good and bad teams in my league. My team is usually pretty good with it, and we limit big innings by doing it.

This year not so much though, and it showed in our record