Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 29, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
Yeah, this was a 12" tournament, and they had a 5-bomb limit. These guys hit their 5 bombs in the first inning and then had to struggle to keep the ball in the park.

I was playing 3B (lucky me!) and one guy hit a ball that I heard go whistling by but never saw. One foot to the right and I'd have been on my way to the ER.

Thats just not fun. IN my league now the umps dont check bats until the playoffs and there are a few teams that have illegal bats that just launch the ball. I play nearly in the OF at SS.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
Thats just not fun. IN my league now the umps dont check bats until the playoffs and there are a few teams that have illegal bats that just launch the ball. I play nearly in the OF at SS.

Our park checks bats with a density scanner before you are allowed to use it. They put a silver sticker on the bat that you arent supposed to remove. If you are using a bat without a sticker or the sticker has been moved or altered, you are subject to forfeit and bat confiscation to be checked and rescanned. Your team could be assessed a fine.

They take it pretty seriously in AHPD

Playing in Buffalo Grove's 12in C-League on a work team, we have some good players (about 3-4) that could be in the B-League easily, but the rest of the team is pretty bad. 1-2 right now, but we're getting better, the biggest thing is just getting the good players to show up to every game and not relying on the guys that clearly didn't play much baseball/softball growing up.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 31, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
Playing in Buffalo Grove's 12in C-League on a work team, we have some good players (about 3-4) that could be in the B-League easily, but the rest of the team is pretty bad. 1-2 right now, but we're getting better, the biggest thing is just getting the good players to show up to every game and not relying on the guys that clearly didn't play much baseball/softball growing up.

What team are you on? Like I said I have a group of buddies that play up there, maybe I will cruise up there if you guys play each other

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
What team are you on? Like I said I have a group of buddies that play up there, maybe I will cruise up there if you guys play each other

Mad Men, let me know if youre stopping by!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
3-3 with 3 bombs tonight. The last one I really hit hard and smacked the side of the church at Pulaski park.

Now Thursday ill roll em over to third.

I just don't understand how people can hit HR's all the time, or in my case, at all. Are you like 6'3?? Do you have a $300 bat? Are your fences 275 feet? Are your softballs filled with rubber?

It just baffles me. In our league, we play 2 games a night, and we will see maybe 1 HR combined between the two teams, in 2 games.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:45 AM)
I just don't understand how people can hit HR's all the time, or in my case, at all. Are you like 6'3?? Do you have a $300 bat? Are your fences 275 feet? Are your softballs filled with rubber?

I'm the same way. I've been told I have a baseball swing and not a softball swing. Have never been able to change.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 12:45 AM)

It just baffles me. In our league, we play 2 games a night, and we will see maybe 1 HR combined between the two teams, in 2 games.

I just started hitting them so not sure. I actually use a wooden bat since its 16 in.

This particular league has a fence and its short, you can google map it. But lately just been rocketing the ball for whatever reason. In 12'in i don't think I've ever gone deep.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
You guys play by the fitness center?

BG Softball is played at 801 Mchenry road. Really nice fields, I have only played there a few times but I like the setup

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
You guys play by the fitness center?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
BG Softball is played at 801 Mchenry road. Really nice fields, I have only played there a few times but I like the setup

Yea its just down the road from the fitness center, right next to the golf dome there.

They are really nice fields, and the league is fun. I love watching the A-league games, those guys just go up there and smash the ball all day long. And there's this guy on one team that was just the biggest asshole yet he was hilarious. He was on deck, his teammate grounds out to end the inning. As his teammate walks by him he just goes "Thanks, dick."

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 06:00 AM)
I'm the same way. I've been told I have a baseball swing and not a softball swing. Have never been able to change.

Same, in practice I can launch the ball, but in games if I try and do that I'll just pop up so I go back to my nice baseball swing and hit liners all day.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
A leaguers play a different game. They are just on a different level, from the pitcher to the last guy in the lineup, they all play differently than normal rec league guys.

Absolutely.

I played on a lot of really good B league teams, and we'd be feeling good about ourselves.

Then we'd get in a tournament and end up playing an A league team and we'd be reminded of the difference between the two levels.

We wouldn't get killed, because we were very good ourselves, but I think we only won one tournament (or maybe two) by beating an A league team.

• 2 weeks later...

After starting the year 0-3, we have won 4 straight now, including tonight's victory over the only undefeated team, who was 6-0 on the year. They had beaten every team by 12 or more, some by 20+. We won 12-11 somehow, it was amazing.

Then in Game 2 we won 33-7, first time we ever scored over 20 I think. We batted around in consecutive innings, getting like 12 straight hits at one point. It was so odd for us. It's amazing how much 2 nice bats can change a whole team around.