AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
I know he won't do it, cause he didn't do anything like that regarding Melky, but AJ's power surge this season was hugely dramatic. You gotta admit.

He hasnt done that regarding anyone. And he wont

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
If this were true there's no way it wouldn't be leaked by a real source by now. (I'm sure something along those lines have been said many times)...

MLB's typically been pretty good at avoiding leaks about tested results before the appeals are complete.

This would truly be disheartening and a punch in the gut to all Sox fans and the organization as a whole. Personally if true I would hope the Sox make an example out of him and release him outright for putting his personal agenda before the teams. Sorry, I have no sympathy for players who continue to try to cheat their way to a paycheck, and find it even more alarming how dumb they are to keep trying to get away with it. Normally a name doesnt have an affect on me, but when its your team its an embarassment.

All that being said hope this is just someone making a muck over a disliked player. AJ has been a favorite of mine for years, so for now ill give him the benefit of the doubt until its official. But there is an awful lot of whispers out there.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
This would truly be disheartening and a punch in the gut to all Sox fans and the organization as a whole. Personally if true I would hope the Sox make an example out of him and release him outright for putting his personal agenda before the teams. Sorry, I have no sympathy for players who continue to try to cheat their way to a paycheck, and find it even more alarming how dumb they are to keep trying to get away with it. Normally a name doesnt have an affect on me, but when its your team its an embarassment.

All that being said hope this is just someone making a muck over a disliked player. AJ has been a favorite of mine for years, so for now ill give him the benefit of the doubt until its official. But there is an awful lot of whispers out there.

+1

I love A.J. but if this turns out to be true, I'm done with him. I have no respect what-so-ever for players that use PED's.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
+1

I love A.J. but if this turns out to be true, I'm done with him. I have no respect what-so-ever for players that use PED's.

Well, he'd be done with the Sox IF this is true so I think it would make it easier to never cheer for him again.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)

Technically I don't think the Sox actually could release him. He'd be suspended for the remainder of his contract, if this rumor wound up being true. He'd have to sign another contract and still have 25 games or so left in his suspension (depending on if the Sox have any playoff games).

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
Well, he'd be done with the Sox IF this is true so I think it would make it easier to never cheer for him again.

I realize that, but it would still leave that sour taste in my mouth after cheering for him over the years. He's been one of my favorite position players over the last few years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
Technically I don't think the Sox actually could release him. He'd be suspended for the remainder of his contract, if this rumor wound up being true. He'd have to sign another contract and still have 25 games or so left in his suspension (depending on if the Sox have any playoff games).

Playoff games count against the suspension? Interesting. I assumed they wouldn't, because Players don't get paid any extra for those games (or do they?).

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
+1

Then you have no respect what-so-ever for somewhere around half of MLB. PEDs are everywhere in baseball.

I'm conflicted about PEDs, honestly. They ARE against the rules, sure. We don't look so harshly upon other things that are against the rules in baseball though. I see no moral problem with steroid use beyond the fact that several institutions say you shouldn't have them (US Gov't, MLB, etc).

Despite the aforementioned, this potential news has hit me very hard and I can't really explain why. I'm sure it'll feel even worse if comes true.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Never watch any football game. Common sense tells you guys that big don't run that fast.

But what's funny is that nobody cares as much about guys that get busted in the NFL. They sit out 4 games, come back, and it's almost like it never happened. In MLB, anything you will ever do in your career is forever scarred.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
But what's funny is that nobody cares as much about guys that get busted in the NFL. They sit out 4 games, come back, and it's almost like it never happened. In MLB, anything you will ever do in your career is forever scarred.

I've noticed this too. I can't figure it out because it makes just as much sense to go crazy over it in the media. I wonder if that would change if a Tom Brady-esque figure got caught.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
Then you have no respect what-so-ever for somewhere around half of MLB. PEDs are everywhere in baseball.

That's right, I don't. I don't like to think that some of my favorite players are PED users, but I realize the hard truth is that a lot of them are. If you ask me, MLB is too lenient with the current disciplinary system and is too scared to drop the hammer on some of the MLB's biggest stars.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
I've noticed this too. I can't figure it out because it makes just as much sense to go crazy over it in the media. I wonder if that would change if a Tom Brady-esque figure got caught.

That's probably a big reason. Shawn Merriman & Brian Cushing are/were good players, but not on the same level as Manny, Bonds, A-Rod, etc.

Another thing could be that people kind of expect football players to be juiced based on the nature of the sport and size of the athletes?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
That's probably a big reason. Shawn Merriman & Brian Cushing are/were good players, but not on the same level as Manny, Bonds, A-Rod, etc.

Another thing could be that people kind of expect football players to be juiced based on the nature of the sport and size of the athletes?

Another big thing is the level of history that is buried within the "Numbers" in baseball. 714, 756, 60/61 in a season...I knew those numbers when I was a 10 year old. Maybe younger. I don't know the sack record offhand in the same way. The fact that the roiders blew past that history is a big part of the focus on MLB as well.

I find it strange that it would take weeks after the failed test to suspend them. You'd think once they found out he failed then the next game he should be out, why let a known PEDer go out there for another 2 weeks, esp. in the heat of a pennant race, before discipline? If its a sound testing system then he should be gone already.