Sox Will Sell; Everyone But Sale and Konerko on Block

Heads22

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
Good. It's very much needed and overdue. Settle in to suck for a bit, build the farm, and attempt to compete again when Detroit's window is closing.

Depends on who we trade and what we get. 2014 will likely be a transition year no matter what we do, but I honestly believe if Hahn makes the right moves at the deadline and makes a couple smart free agent signings we can be competitive by 2015.

That idiot Bernstein was talking about this on the radio a little earlier. He was acting like it was stupid not to trade Sale because "he won't be pitching for a White Sox World Series team anytime soon and the pieces you'd get might be on the next winner."

Sale is 24 years old and signed through freaking 2019 to a team-friendly deal? How the f*** does this guy get paid to analyze sports?

Was this seriously in doubt?

I'm also tickled to see that most people seem to be interpreting this to mean that everyone will BE traded. White Sox need to make moves that leave them in a position to compete soon. Get higher-level minor leaguers, get young MLB players, free up money to bring in free agents. Don't leave the roster without any players. Don't trade from the rotation, sans Peavy.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
Depends on who we trade and what we get. 2014 will likely be a transition year no matter what we do, but I honestly believe if Hahn makes the right moves at the deadline and makes a couple smart free agent signings we can be competitive by 2015.

I think a lot has to go right for 2015. I'm thinking 2016, and I'm okay with it. I'd like them to build something a bit more sustainable, and if it takes more time so be it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
That idiot Bernstein was talking about this on the radio a little earlier. He was acting like it was stupid not to trade Sale because "he won't be pitching for a White Sox World Series team anytime soon and the pieces you'd get might be on the next winner."

Sale is 24 years old and signed through freaking 2019 to a team-friendly deal? How the f*** does this guy get paid to analyze sports?

I was listening to that same conversation and wish I could have called him a f***ing idiot to his face. He really knows nothing about the White Sox.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
I think a lot has to go right for 2015. I'm thinking 2016, and I'm okay with it. I'd like them to build something a bit more sustainable, and if it takes more time so be it.

There's still a real good chance they try to field a competitive team for 2014.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
Was this seriously in doubt?

I'm also tickled to see that most people seem to be interpreting this to mean that everyone will BE traded. White Sox need to make moves that leave them in a position to compete soon. Get higher-level minor leaguers, get young MLB players, free up money to bring in free agents. Don't leave the roster without any players. Don't trade from the rotation, sans Peavy.

All this means is everyone is available for the right price, which is the perfect way to approach this deadline. Crain, Thornton, & Lindstrom are really the only guys we have to move IMO. After that, only trade guys that bring back strong returns. And if I were Hahn I'd target offensive prospects, but I wouldn't get too picky on specific positions. I'd just try to amass as much near major league ready talent as possible, since we pretty much need help everywhere.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
I was listening to that same conversation and wish I could have called him a f***ing idiot to his face. He really knows nothing about the White Sox.

I don't follow other sports this closely, but I'm pretty sure everyone thinks he's a moron. I remember him going on and on during the NBA super summer free agency period about how he'd rather have Wade over LeBron. Really?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
There's still a real good chance they try to field a competitive team for 2014.

If they sign some FA they may have an outside shot at a 2008 type of club where they back into the postseason & lose in the first round. They're a couple years from being a serious title contender IMO.

And really there's nothing wrong with making a few veteran signings to put something respectable on the field, but the focus needs to be on finding more young pre-arb pieces.

Of course that's easier said than done. In 1998 a 21-year-old Mike Caruso hit .306/.331/.390 as a SS, the following year... poop.

"Juan Uribe will never be the starting SS for a World Series champion."

Anything that dumbass says I would do the complete opposite, you would be right 100% of the time.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
If they sign some FA they may have an outside shot at a 2008 type of club where they back into the postseason & lose in the first round. They're a couple years from being a serious title contender IMO.

And really there's nothing wrong with making a few veteran signings to put something respectable on the field, but the focus needs to be on finding more young pre-arb pieces.

Of course that's easier said than done. In 1998 a 21-year-old Mike Caruso hit .306/.331/.390 as a SS, the following year... poop.

They'll have a very good, very deep pitching staff and at least $30 million to spend just to get back to this years payroll (not counting the extra national tv money).

They can readily e competitive if they can figure out how the f*** to catch the ball.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:01 PM)
I don't follow other sports this closely, but I'm pretty sure everyone thinks he's a moron. I remember him going on and on during the NBA super summer free agency period about how he'd rather have Wade over LeBron. Really?

He's obviously an intelligent guy (in a general sense), but he's also an arrogant douche who thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room. He relies way too much on sabremetrics and uses WAR as the be-all-end-all to prove one player is better than another other (despite some known flaws with the stat in the sabremetric community). I really don't think he watches a lot of White Sox baseball by the way he talks about them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:11 PM)
They'll have a very good, very deep pitching staff and at least $30 million to spend just to get back to this years payroll (not counting the extra national tv money).

They can readily e competitive if they can figure out how the f*** to catch the ball.

What is the solution to that, getting rid of DeAza, Viciedo, Keppinger, Flowers, Gimenez and Alexei?

If they're going to clean house, they better find a good defensive 1B so that Dunn doesn't have to play there next year.

And I guess we have to be resigned to Rios going, because he's the second most valuable entity (or first, depending on the team), along with Crain and the huge question mark wrapped in an enigma known as Jake Peavy's future.

The makings of another thread....who is most likely to still be around in 2014. Or who you'd most want to keep or not sell "low" on quite yet.

Sale, Danks, Quintana or Santiago, Axelrod, Erik Johnson, Phegley, Gillaspie, Beckham, Viciedo, Reed and Jones.

Maybe Carlos Sanchez if he can kick up his OPS to the 675-725 region for the 2nd half of his Charlotte season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
What is the solution to that, getting rid of DeAza, Viciedo, Keppinger, Flowers, Gimenez and Alexei?

If they're going to clean house, they better find a good defensive 1B so that Dunn doesn't have to play there next year.

And I guess we have to be resigned to Rios going, because he's the second most valuable entity (or first, depending on the team), along with Crain and the huge question mark wrapped in an enigma known as Jake Peavy's future.

I don't think you have to be resigned to Alex going. I've been one of his biggest fans here but the fact is he's no sure thing mentally. I mean, would anyone be surprised if he turned, say, a bad August 2013 into a bad 8 consecutive months? He's done that before. Buyer beware, Alex Rios is the hottest item on craigslist, the coolest toy in the neighbor's garage sale, etc. You can sell him without being too worried.

Peavy is the one guy I worry about. It's not very often you have a player so talented who actually means it when he says he wants to stick around, who actually will take a discount, who is such a great clubhouse influence... and cap it off with the injury factor potentially dropping his value. I think you put him out there but only if you get a lot thrown at you do you move him. I don't want to see Peavy go for a couple A ballers, that's for sure.

And not really on Hahn, more on the entire organization including KW & Buddy Bell, Marco Paddy, Laumann, etc. it's due diligence time. No more Molinas. Scout the f***ing players, don't just trade for them blindly. It's one thing to make a mistake after you've done the legwork, that happens, it's baseball, but it's another to trust someone's word/influence so much that it negates proper procedure.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:09 PM)
I don't think you have to be resigned to Alex going. I've been one of his biggest fans here but the fact is he's no sure thing mentally. I mean, would anyone be surprised if he turned, say, a bad August 2013 into a bad 8 consecutive months? He's done that before. Buyer beware, Alex Rios is the hottest item on craigslist, the coolest toy in the neighbor's garage sale, etc. You can sell him without being too worried.

Peavy is the one guy I worry about. It's not very often you have a player so talented who actually means it when he says he wants to stick around, who actually will take a discount, who is such a great clubhouse influence... and cap it off with the injury factor potentially dropping his value. I think you put him out there but only if you get a lot thrown at you do you move him. I don't want to see Peavy go for a couple A ballers, that's for sure.

And not really on Hahn, more on the entire organization including KW & Buddy Bell, Marco Paddy, Laumann, etc. it's due diligence time. No more Molinas. Scout the f***ing players, don't just trade for them blindly. It's one thing to make a mistake after you've done the legwork, that happens, it's baseball, but it's another to trust someone's word/influence so much that it negates proper procedure.

Rios has been a solid 800-850 OPS guy for 1 1/2 seasons now.

If I was in the NL, I'd definitely be targeting him. Just wouldn't move him to CF or hit him leadoff.

Edited by caulfield12