Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
2005 is amazing just for the sheer roster turnover. I remember the Soxtalk banner had the faces of each new player on it entering that season. When do you see a team bring in so many new people and immediately succeed?

Was it really that many players? 3 position players & a 5th starter? Most of the bullpen was in place in 2004. I would think that's pretty common in today's game.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if anyone saw this tweet from Scot Gregor last night but it mentions that Pirates scout was in the house. He was speculating that it could be for Rios but I think it could also be for bullpen help or Ramirez.

Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 17h

Pirates have a scout here tonight, and don't think he's looking for pitching. #rios

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
Not sure if anyone saw this tweet from Scot Gregor last night but it mentions that Pirates scout was in the house. He was speculating that it could be for Rios but I think it could also be for bullpen help or Ramirez.

Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 17h

Pirates have a scout here tonight, and don't think he's looking for pitching. #rios

Pittsburgh is the most obvious fit. Fairly deep in decent position player talent on the farm, too. Would imagine they'd want some cash thrown in but this is really a perfect match.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
Pittsburgh is the most obvious fit. Fairly deep in decent position player talent on the farm, too. Would imagine they'd want some cash thrown in but this is really a perfect match.

They have the talent to make a run at the real top guy on the market, Giancarlo Stanton, if they wanted to go for the grand slam.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
They have the talent to make a run at the real top guy on the market, Giancarlo Stanton, if they wanted to go for the grand slam.

True, although all reports have pointed to Stanton not being moved until the offseason. You never know, of course, but it seems that will most likely be the case.

Also, they could get Rios without giving up Taillon/Cole, which I think they will be very inclined to do.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
True, although all reports have pointed to Stanton not being moved until the offseason. You never know, of course, but it seems that will most likely be the case.

Also, they could get Rios without giving up Taillon/Cole, which I think they will be very inclined to do.

I don't think they want to pay up for Stanton. Pirates do have the lowest RF .ops in the National League though. There system is very deep. I don't think that they want to deal their top guys. Cole, Taillon, OF Gregory Polanco, and probably not even Luis Heredia RHP. I really like SS Alen Hanson. He's a top 50 prospect in baseball. They also have Josh Bell. Bell was highly regarded and a very tough sign out of HS. With a future OF of Polanco, McCutchen, and Marte, Bell is expendable but I am not sure if they'd give him for Rios. Sox were also supposedly high on Texas Tech OF Barrett Barnes last year in the draft and Pirates have him as well. If the Sox could get Jose Tabata and Hanson I would make the trade in a second. I am just not sure how much Pittsburgh wants to deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
Was it really that many players? 3 position players & a 5th starter? Most of the bullpen was in place in 2004. I would think that's pretty common in today's game.

Rostered players: Iguchi, Podsednik, Dye, AJP, Widger, Pablo Ozuna, El Duque, Dustin Hermanson, Luis Vizcaino, Bobby Jenks

Players sent away: C.Lee, Magglio, Sandy Alomar, Jose Valentin, Dan Wright, Scott Schoenweis, Jason Grilli, Robbie Alomar

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/alex...trade-list.html

Alex Rios' No-Trade List

By Steve Adams [July 3, 2013 at 11:48am CST]

The seven-year, $69.835MM extension that Alex Rios signed with the Blue Jays back in 2008 didn't initially contain no-trade protection, but a limited no-trade clause allowing Rios to block trades to six teams kicked in starting in 2009. Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports that the six teams to which Rios can block a trade are the Yankees, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Royals, Astros and Athletics.

The Rockies, Diamondbacks and A's are likely set on outfielders, and the Astros certainly aren't looking to buy at this time. However, the no-trade protection against the Yankees and (to a lesser extent) the Royals is significant, as both teams would make sense as suitors for Rios.

The struggling Yankees scored fewer runs than any team in baseball last month (88) and have a dearth of right-handed power. Offense is said to be New York's primary need in trades. The Royals opened the season with Jeff Francoeur in right field but have since designated him for assignment. Recent reports did state that the chances of Kansas City making a big move were "slim," and David Lough has played well in place of Francoeur.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
I don't think they want to pay up for Stanton. Pirates do have the lowest RF .ops in the National League though. There system is very deep. I don't think that they want to deal their top guys. Cole, Taillon, OF Gregory Polanco, and probably not even Luis Heredia RHP. I really like SS Alen Hanson. He's a top 50 prospect in baseball. They also have Josh Bell. Bell was highly regarded and a very tough sign out of HS. With a future OF of Polanco, McCutchen, and Marte, Bell is expendable but I am not sure if they'd give him for Rios. Sox were also supposedly high on Texas Tech OF Barrett Barnes last year in the draft and Pirates have him as well. If the Sox could get Jose Tabata and Hanson I would make the trade in a second. I am just not sure how much Pittsburgh wants to deal.

I agree with you. Hanson has seen his stock slip a bit, if I'm not mistaken, so he could be very attainable. It's too bad there aren't more teams involved in the bidding, because Polanco would be an incredible get that is an overpay but not so much of one that the Pirates couldn't be driven to do it if they had to. As it is, I'd think Stetson Allie might be a possibility in a Rios deal. I used to love Tabata, but I think I'm off that bandwagon -- and we have a ton of OF coming up, so a placeholder isn't all that attractive. I'd rather just give Tekotte/Danks more ABs and get a second decent prospect if it comes to that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
Rostered players: Iguchi, Podsednik, Dye, AJP, Widger, Pablo Ozuna, El Duque, Dustin Hermanson, Luis Vizcaino, Bobby Jenks

Players sent away: C.Lee, Magglio, Sandy Alomar, Jose Valentin, Dan Wright, Scott Schoenweis, Jason Grilli, Robbie Alomar

Yeah. I would say that's quite a turnover.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
Well that's interesting. Guys on the board are happy Rios almost physically attacked his superior (let's not act like Williams is some unathletic punk either, considering his major league heritage, son who played professional baseball, and son who plays for the 49ers) when Williams kept the Sox extremely competitive for the better stretch of 10 years. I look at 2003, 2006, and 2010 as years where the team literally fell just short, while I look at 2005 and 2008 as years where the team broke through, and most other years the team was atleast competitive. Really, in the grand scheme of things, the Sox were probably one of the top 10 most successful franchises of the past 10-15 years.

Yeah that 2003 team was very deep offensively. It was also the year Esteban Loaiza came out of nowhere to dominate 3/4ths of the season. Colon and Buerhle also had good seasons. However, Garlands inconsistencies and Loaiza being out of gas near the end was costly. But the offense in 2003 was sick! (Valentine, Everett, Maggs, Lee, Thomas, Konerko, Alomar, Olivo, Crede)

That 2006 team should have made the playoffs for sure. In fact they started the season off going 53-27 and were on pace for winning 100 games. However, they finished the season 37-45 and missing the post season. A huge reason for that was the fact that the starting pitchers were out of gas from such a long post season the year before. My only issue with that 2006 squad was that they didn't give McCarthy a spot in the rotation. I am pretty sure they placed him in the bullpen that year? I didn't think the trade for Vazquez was necessary. You could have had a rotation of Contreras, Buerhle, Garcia, Garland and BMac while using El-Duque in the long relief role. I didn't have an issue with the Rowand for Thome deal. It made sense at the time- Anderson needed a chance to prove himself and getting a lefty DH with pure power made sense.

I'd say the White Sox had their most successful decade from 2000-2009. Three division titles, one world championship and two really good teams that just missed the playoffs. So far this decade has been kind of rough with the exception of last season.

2010- 88-74 (Missed post season by 6 games- Ozzie's last respectable season)

2011- 79-83 (Drama off the field led to a team that was supposed to be 'All In' out of the postseason. The End Ozzie's Regime)

2012- 85-77 (Welcome Robin Ventura, spend over 100 days in 1st place, but came up short after a September collapse)

2013- 34-52* (One of the worst Sox teams to date, team in desperate need for change/ new players/ manager)

I'd say KW was pretty darn successful. Yes he had some down seasons, but more winning teams than losing teams and you knew one thing, he was always out looking for ways to improve the club in attempt to make the playoffs each season.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
I agree with you. Hanson has seen his stock slip a bit, if I'm not mistaken, so he could be very attainable. It's too bad there aren't more teams involved in the bidding, because Polanco would be an incredible get that is an overpay but not so much of one that the Pirates couldn't be driven to do it if they had to. As it is, I'd think Stetson Allie might be a possibility in a Rios deal. I used to love Tabata, but I think I'm off that bandwagon -- and we have a ton of OF coming up, so a placeholder isn't all that attractive. I'd rather just give Tekotte/Danks more ABs and get a second decent prospect if it comes to that.

Allie has been quite the story thus far. Total White Sox prospect at this point too. So long as he doesn't constitute too much of the value - as a final piece or throw-in or whatever you want to call that player in a trade - I'd love to add him to the organization.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Yeah that 2003 team was very deep offensively. It was also the year Esteban Loaiza came out of nowhere to dominate 3/4ths of the season. Colon and Buerhle also had good seasons. However, Garlands inconsistencies and Loaiza being out of gas near the end was costly. But the offense in 2003 was sick! (Valentine, Everett, Maggs, Lee, Thomas, Konerko, Alomar, Olivo, Crede)

That 2006 team should have made the playoffs for sure. In fact they started the season off going 53-27 and were on pace for winning 100 games. However, they finished the season 37-45 and missing the post season. A huge reason for that was the fact that the starting pitchers were out of gas from such a long post season the year before. My only issue with that 2006 squad was that they didn't give McCarthy a spot in the rotation. I am pretty sure they placed him in the bullpen that year? I didn't think the trade for Vazquez was necessary. You could have had a rotation of Contreras, Buerhle, Garcia, Garland and BMac while using El-Duque in the long relief role. I didn't have an issue with the Rowand for Thome deal. It made sense at the time- Anderson needed a chance to prove himself and getting a lefty DH with pure power made sense.

I'd say the White Sox had their most successful decade from 2000-2009. Three division titles, one world championship and two really good teams that just missed the playoffs. So far this decade has been kind of rough with the exception of last season.

2010- 88-74 (Missed post season by 6 games- Ozzie's last respectable season)

2011- 79-83 (Drama off the field led to a team that was supposed to be 'All In' out of the postseason. The End Ozzie's Regime)

2012- 85-77 (Welcome Robin Ventura, spend over 100 days in 1st place, but came up short after a September collapse)

2013- 34-52* (One of the worst Sox teams to date, team in desperate need for change/ new players/ manager)

I'd say KW was pretty darn successful. Yes he had some down seasons, but more winning teams than losing teams and you knew one thing, he was always out looking for ways to improve the club in attempt to make the playoffs each season.

The White Sox didn't have anything approximating a 5th starter that year (2003), and the Twins hit paydirt on a cheap FA deal with Kenny The Gambler Rogers.

Also, that was the year we tried Koch as the closer and it was a complete disaster, along with Gordon/Marte later in the year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
Allie has been quite the story thus far. Total White Sox prospect at this point too. So long as he doesn't constitute too much of the value - as a final piece or throw-in or whatever you want to call that player in a trade - I'd love to add him to the organization.

Definitely. It's just my own speculation, but the stuff I've read on his transition have seemed a little like forced enthusiasm, more like "oh wow, we thought this was going to be a disaster but it's turning out much better than expected" more than "he's a legitimately awesome hitting prospect." I agree that I wouldn't be happy if he was the centerpiece, but I think he could be a legit #2 piece. Something like Hanson, Allie, live arm, live arm would seem to be toward the high end of a reasonable get, and would look really good for both teams, I think.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
The White Sox didn't have anything approximating a 5th starter that year (2003), and the Twins hit paydirt on a cheap FA deal with Kenny The Gambler Rogers.

Also, that was the year we tried Koch as the closer and it was a complete disaster, along with Gordon/Marte later in the year.

You are right! Dan Wright won 14 games in 2002 but tanked in 2003 in the 5th starter role. I think they let guys like Schoenweiss, Glover and Ginter attempt the 5th starter role that year. We just could not get over that Minnesota hump!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
They should send Ramirez and Rios to the Pirates (along with money) and get back the prospects they really want.

Likelihood of that happening?

10%?

Depends what you mean by "the prospects they really want." I'm sure they "really want" Jameson Taillon, for example. :D

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I see the Pirates organization as one trying to emulate the Rays. When have the Rays, since 2008, made a big midseason move?

This is somewhat true. They want to keep their monster prospects which is smart. However, their system is so good that they could afford to give lower tiered guys in their system that would really help the White Sox. I was just in Pittsburgh for a week and the city is buzzing. They need to make the playoffs. Should they mortgage their long term future to do so? Absolutely not. But for an Alex Rios, who would be a huge upgrade for them, they would not have to mortgage their future.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I see the Pirates organization as one trying to emulate the Rays. When have the Rays, since 2008, made a big midseason move?

Pittsburgh has been saving up $$ for years, letting free agents walk year by year for the past 20+ seasons. Recently over the past 5 years or so they have been drafting really well and now their patience is FINALLY paying off. I'd say if there is ever time where the Pirates go for it and spends a little cash along the way, that time is now. What a year they are having! I actually would NOT be surprised if they make a deal for Rios. He would make an excellent addition for 1.5 seasons at a relatively expensive salary, but one they can afford nonetheless.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
Pittsburgh has been saving up $$ for years, letting free agents walk year by year for the past 20+ seasons. Recently over the past 5 years or so they have been drafting really well and now their patience is FINALLY paying off. I'd say if there is ever time where the Pirates goes for it and spends a little cash along the way, that time is now. What a year they are having! I actually would NOT be surprised if they make a deal for Rios. He would make an excellent addition for 1.5 seasons at a relatively expensive salary, but one they can afford nonetheless.

That's the key, I think -- Rios presents the perfect balance between value and affordability. Stanton would be a megadeal that presents a huge risk to the current and future of the organization. Schierholtz could be had for a song, but would the upgrade really be enough to push them over the top? Rios sits right in the middle and they could deal from organizational depth to get him, giving them both a substantial upgrade over their black hole in RF and still leaving them with a system stocked with high end talent.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
Did elrockin hack into your account?

I realize we aren't competing this year. But Rios still has another year. Even if I wish they would, the Sox arent going into complete firesale mode.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood