2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
I just saw it now so maybe. Having a Stanford guy say it holds more weight somehow.

I heard their quotes from a few days ago, they went really hard at the NCAA. They said that a regular student should try and cover their schedule just for a day and see what it is like

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
I heard their quotes from a few days ago, they went really hard at the NCAA. They said that a regular student should try and cover their schedule just for a day and see what it is like

The medical attention topic is something that isnt said enough. Not every school is near a top notch hospital or medical facility, some of these kids get hacked up by second and third rate doctors designed to get them out on the field quickly in a small window.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 10:32 PM)
And yet Jerome Bettis was elected. Ok then.

Nothing screams Hall of Fame like 3.9 yards per carry.

Come on man, #6 running back in NFL history total yards, tied at #10 in rushing touchdowns?

Pace will get in within a couple years, the NFL does this annoying thing where there's not enough slots so they kinda put people in to make sure they get in, but Bettis was a HOF running back by my standards.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 09:32 PM)

It's hard for me to get into the football hall of fame. There are no numbers you can put up as a goal to be a HOFer like baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 09:39 PM)
Come on man, #6 running back in NFL history total yards, tied at #10 in rushing touchdowns?

Pace will get in within a couple years, the NFL does this annoying thing where there's not enough slots so they kinda put people in to make sure they get in, but Bettis was a HOF running back by my standards.

3 times in 13 years was he top 5 in rushing yards, only once top 5 in rushing TDs. His best skill was longevity, which to be fair, should not be taken for granted with RBs. He was always good, but never close to the best running back in the league at any point.

You are totally right about Pace, just seems dumb how they take care of other guys instead of letting the most deserving candidates in right away.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 09:48 PM)
3 times in 13 years was he top 5 in rushing yards, only once top 5 in rushing TDs. His best skill was longevity, which to be fair, should not be taken for granted with RBs. He was always good, but never close to the best running back in the league at any point.

You are totally right about Pace, just seems dumb how they take care of other guys instead of letting the most deserving candidates in right away.

Cosign all of this. The Bus was borderline to me. Pace is a no brainer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 10:32 PM)

Absolutely f***ing ridiculous. Bettis basically got in on longevity and no other reason. The guy only averaged over 4 ypc 4 times in his entire career. Warner, Harrison and Pace (particularly Pace and Harrison) are infinitely more deserving than Bettis.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 10:39 PM)

Jerome Bettis isn't close to a hall of famer in my opinion. Decent player who was decent for a long time. Should we put every running back in who rushes for 10,000 yards? A guy like Clinton Portis had a much better peak than Bettis, rushed for nearly 10,000 yards but didn't play as long. Should he be in? Give me Terrell Davis all day over Bettis as well. If you put in Bettis you might as well also put in Steven Jackson, Fred Taylor and Corey Dillon, Frank Gore, Warrick Dunn etc. since they were all superior players and rushed for over 10,000 yards.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 01:35 AM)
Jerome Bettis isn't close to a hall of famer in my opinion. Decent player who was decent for a long time. Should we put every running back in who rushes for 10,000 yards? A guy like Clinton Portis had a much better peak than Bettis, rushed for nearly 10,000 yards but didn't play as long. Should he be in? Give me Terrell Davis all day over Bettis as well. If you put in Bettis you might as well also put in Steven Jackson, Fred Taylor and Corey Dillon, Frank Gore, Warrick Dunn etc. since they were all superior players and rushed for over 10,000 yards.

You don't see any difference between being #6 all time and being ~#25 all time (which is where 10,000 yards in a career comes in)?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Eh, I don't buy it. 1) He's done taped segments before (e.g., Kenny Mayne). He wasn't to obligated to do that. 2) his media stunts draw more attention to him. If you really have a disorder you're doing everything in your power to lessen the attention.

I don't know 100% if it's true, but it is definitely plausible. For a person with social phobia, standing in front of a ton of reporters with no advance notice of their questions and knowing they may even be broadcasting live is very different than doing a sit-down interview with somebody. Social phobia tends to manifest in situations where the person doesn't know how the social interaction is going to go. He has also stated previously that he worried about how the things he says to the media would make his teammates feel - he said something to the effect that it is hard to take questions from the media without coming off like you're taking the credit for success. In HS and college, he always had teammates step in and take postgame questions from the media on his behalf.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
You don't see any difference between being #6 all time and being ~#25 all time (which is where 10,000 yards in a career comes in)?

Frank Gore has 2500 less rushing yards than Bettis in only 10 seasons compared to Bettis. Gore already has more receiving yards than him. Bettis has him by 19 in total TDs.

Gore with a couple more 1000 yard seasons is a hall of famer in my book. One of my favorite RBs of all time.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Frank Gore has 2500 less rushing yards than Bettis in only 10 seasons compared to Bettis. Gore already has more receiving yards than him. Bettis has him by 19 in total TDs.

Gore with a couple more 1000 yard seasons is a hall of famer in my book. One of my favorite RBs of all time.

I'd agree. Gore is right on the edge of a HOF caliber career and all he needs is a bit more longevity.

Guys around 10k are in the "hall of very good" range and if they've done something spectacular in the process that could put them in the HOF. A bit more longevity beyond that and that makes them HOF worthy. That would include Bettis.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
I'd agree. Gore is right on the edge of a HOF caliber career and all he needs is a bit more longevity.

Guys around 10k are in the "hall of very good" range and if they've done something spectacular in the process that could put them in the HOF. A bit more longevity beyond that and that makes them HOF worthy. That would include Bettis.

Bettis was about league average or below league average in ypc most years in his career. A guy being mediocre for a long time isn't deserving of being in the hall of fame.