2014 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 5, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
What has turned me off from watching the draft more than anything is the five minutes from the time the team makes a pick to the time it is announced, so that the networks can get in commercials and the talking heads can get through all of their material on the last pick. If they announced all picks within a minute of the actual pick, I'd be more inclined to watch. As it stands, I'll watch the first 2-3 picks, then switch over to something else (probably the Sox game since they are on WGN Thursday) until about 2-3 picks before the Bears pick.

Pretty sure that is less than it used to be. You used to have like 20 minutes between first round picks.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
Hub Arkush was just on the score, and said he wants no part of Aaron Donald because he is too small. Then he said he hopes the Bears take Carlos Hyde.

I just dont even....

Donald is small for a DT. I'm sure that is a legit concern for some teams.

Did he mean they should take Hyde in the first round? If he was talking like 2nd or 3rd, I could see that, but 1st round would be beyond crazy.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)

Did he mean they should take Hyde in the first round? If he was talking like 2nd or 3rd, I could see that, but 1st round would be beyond crazy.

Man, I would hope so.

ESPN, NFL Network agree to ignore Twitter during draft. Will wait for Goodell to announce picks

If you like a little suspense with your NFL Draft viewing experience, then stay off Twitter Thursday. Both ESPN and NFL Network, which will televise the league's biggest offseason spectacle, have again agreed to not tip the picks before commissioner Roger Goodell makes it official, reports SI.com's Richard Deitsch.

"Our staff [and] ESPN's staff that is in the know will not be announcing picks," NFL Network executive producer Eric Weinberger told Deitsch. "As we all now, these guys can get each pick because the teams for years call the player they will pick before they pick them and that player, his family and his agent know he is getting picked. But in Round 1 and even in 2 and 3, [we] will not tip the pick.

"We want that drama so when Commissioner Goodell announces the pick, that is the first time the world hears where the player is going. I would also discourage non-ESPN and NFL Network 'insiders' from tipping picks but I can't police them."

Discouragement noted, but the reality is that not tipping picks creates an opportunty for others in the know -- like CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora -- to do just that. The reason: Just like last year, there's no good reason not to.

“We're not a broadcast partner for the draft,” La Canfora told Ed Sherman before the 2013 NFL Draft. “I will be trying to get the information out as quickly and accurately as possible. What event is made more for Twitter than the NFL draft? If the teams have the information; if the guys in the production truck have the information; if the commissioner has the information; why wouldn't passionate football fans want it as well? ...

“It's very rare to have a job like this and you're charged with stifling information. It goes against every instinct.”

So, to reiterate: If you don't want to know who teams are picking, or what moves they might make up and down the draft board before Goodell announces it to the world, please, for the love of all that's holy, stay off Twitter.

We get more of the commentators pretending like they have no idea what Goodell is about to announce.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)

No, he wanted Hyde in the first. I like hyde, he is a tough runner, but not only is that a fireable offense because it is a RB, but it is even more insane considering the bears needs and who should be available at that time.

I would like to see the draft move around.

I don't like making it 4 days. I like that most of the draft is over by Saturday, I don't want to spend the whole weekend watching the draft. I wouldn't mind if they did it like Monday - Thursday.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Speaking of next years draft....

I know Jerry Jones is trying hard to get it also.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Know how the NFL could get me to watch the draft? Hire John Travolta to (try to) read the names of the selections.

I smell an SNL skit

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Know how the NFL could get me to watch the draft? Hire John Travolta to (try to) read the names of the selections.

What about Christopher Walken?

"With. The first pick. Of. The NFL. Draft. The Houston Texans. Select. Ja. Daveon. Clowney. From the University. Of. South Carolina."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
What about Christopher Walken?

"With. The first pick. Of. The NFL. Draft. The Houston Texans. Select. Ja. Daveon. Clowney. From the University. Of. South Carolina."

*rings cowbell*

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
Drafting a RB in the first is a fireable offense these days.

There are exceptions but you better be damn sure you are truly getting an elite level back if you are going to take one before the end of the first round.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2...college-players

Loved this article. So many people instinctively view college football through a NFL Prospect lens that they did not appreciate some of these guys as much as they should. No shame in being a great college player, and Connor Shaw especially won me over last year. Dude is nails.

Jordan Matthews was the only damn thing Vanderbilt had. The ONLY THING. ANd he still tore apart defenses on the reg.