Rienzo to Chi, Hanson to AAA, Paulino to DL?

ILMOU

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
That's why there's a 2015 option on him. If he pulled off a couple solid months, you can decide wehther to move him or whether you think he could contribute to a team that cared in 2015.

Still, no high reward. And that is another $4 million for a mediocre at best pitcher.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
What was the high reward with Paulino? Please use common sense. His career high in innings pitched was 139. What are the chances he blows through that after only making 7 starts in 2012 and 5 horrific minor league startd last season? And even if he was decent, what are the chances someone would give you something decent for him?

A guy with a 97 mph fastball and tons of movement on everything isn't high reward? Take your own advice on common sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
A guy with a 97 mph fastball and tons of movement on everything isn't high reward? Take your own advice on common sense.

If he has a 97 mph fastball with tons of movement, how come he gave up 35 hits in 18 innings and why would his career ERA be over 5.20?

Disregard he wasn't all that good before, and hadn't pitched in the major leagues in almost 2 years.

This was an easy one to predict. I figured he would be a bust, just not to the extreme.

Mike MacDougal threw 97 with a ton of moment. Maybe they should bring him back. It won't cost much, and the reward, oh the reward.

The reward went to Paulino.

To think a guy with command issues to begin with wouldn't at least initially struggle with command after surgery and a very long layoff, is hysterical.

I'm all for risk/reward type of deals. But it has to be realistic. There was a lot of fantasy when it came to Paulino's capabilities.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
Paulino was nothing more than a shot in the dark. I'm guessing they watched film of him with Coop, they found something they thought they could fix, and that they just had more interest than other people.

Let's not act like Paulino was to be the 5th starter for a division favorite. He's the kind of risk you take when you're in our place. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It didn't (yet).

This has to be it...because in my mind I truly thought Rienzo earned a rotation spot this spring based on what he did last fall. Paulino was strictly a shot in the dark that failed miserably...

I mean, does anyone think it's a PROBLEM that the Sox took a shot in the dark that failed? I sure don't. This is the time for it. Not worth taking any significant monetary risks at this point, thus your only smart option is to make moves like this. You should EXPECT, more than likely, that they'll fail. It should not come as a shock, nor should it draw any ire, when a gamble doesn't pay off. It was still a smart move.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
If he has a 97 mph fastball with tons of movement, how come he gave up 35 hits in 18 innings and why would his career ERA be over 5.20?

Disregard he wasn't all that good before, and hadn't pitched in the major leagues in almost 2 years.

This was an easy one to predict. I figured he would be a bust, just not to the extreme.

Mike MacDougal threw 97 with a ton of moment. Maybe they should bring him back. It won't cost much, and the reward, oh the reward.

The reward went to Paulino.

To think a guy with command issues to begin with wouldn't at least initially struggle with command after surgery and a very long layoff, is hysterical.

I'm all for risk/reward type of deals. But it has to be realistic. There was a lot of fantasy when it came to Paulino's capabilities.

That's right. No one improves, ever. FIRE DON COOPER! SIGN JIMENEZ!

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
I mean, does anyone think it's a PROBLEM that the Sox took a shot in the dark that failed? I sure don't. This is the time for it. Not worth taking any significant monetary risks at this point, thus your only smart option is to make moves like this. You should EXPECT, more than likely, that they'll fail. It should not come as a shock, nor should it draw any ire, when a gamble doesn't pay off. It was still a smart move.

Only for the people who look to hate on everything.

Well said.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
What was the high reward with Paulino? Please use common sense. His career high in innings pitched was 139. What are the chances he blows through that after only making 7 starts in 2012 and 5 horrific minor league startd last season? And even if he was decent, what are the chances someone would give you something decent for him?

Maybe he rushed back and caused the cuff injury? Maybe once it's calmed down he will return and do well. Pitchers have been known to try to come back too quickly to prove themselves. It doesn't look good now but I wouldn't totally write it off yet.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
Maybe he rushed back and caused the cuff injury? Maybe once it's calmed down he will return and do well. Pitchers have been known to try to come back too quickly to prove themselves. It doesn't look good now but I wouldn't totally write it off yet.

In his interview after the game, he gave no indication of being hurt, just saying he has to stick with it. I think this is an injury of convenience.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/438/...o/p2p-79959050/

Edited by Dick Allen

Let's keep in mind, if we had signed Jimenez/Santana (and one year wouldn't have made ANY sense)/Garza or kept Peavy, and our attendance continued to be last in the major leagues, there probably would have been some legitimate financial pressure to cut from somewhere else anyway.

And then, one month from now, it's that we couldn't have competed anyway with Flowers, or Gillaspie at 3rd, or Abreu going through his ups and downs on the learning curve, or without a defined closer, Semien/Beckham at 2B, etc.

Then we would have to do the same thing we did with Peavy and Edwin Jackson (and trying to do with Danks), dump them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Hahaha.

So, in retrospect, if we had actually kept Sergio Santos and Jake Peavy, we would be on the cusp of contention in the AL Central this season.

Weird.

Yeah right, this team scored an AL low 598 runs last year. About 150 less than the league leading Tigers. Throw Santos and Peavy back on this roster and all the Eaton and Abreu in the world isn't gonna get you over the hump.

What is significant monetary risk and why is this not the time when there is very definitely the need?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
What is significant monetary risk and why is this not the time when there is very definitely the need?

Would a single player, or perhaps even 2 players (>$20 million a year) have put this team in contention this year? LOL

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)

Balta has answered your question. There is need, satisfying the need will not tip us into competition until our core is somewhat bigger. Also, we have discussed draft picks to the point where I am considering seppuku rather than finishing this sentence. Oh. Sentence finished anyway. I guess I'm satisfied with my decision.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
Balta has answered your question. There is need, satisfying the need will not tip us into competition until our core is somewhat bigger. Also, we have discussed draft picks to the point where I am considering seppuku rather than finishing this sentence. Oh. Sentence finished anyway. I guess I'm satisfied with my decision.

Opinion on the Abreu signing as it relates to not being the right time for significant cash outlay?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
Opinion on the Abreu signing as it relates to not being the right time for significant cash outlay?

Abreu was 1 for his last 25 coming into today. Clearly he needed no time for adjustment and was ready to carry a team to the playoffs from day 1.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)

Abreu is relatively young, costs no talent, is controlled for the long term, and has sky high upside by all accounts. You are not paying a premium for past performance (see: non-Latin American free agents). He would be considered part of the core, not a peripheral/secondary piece. Same goes for Tanaka, within reason. The Yankees, of course, are rarely reasonable.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
Abreu is relatively young, costs no talent, is controlled for the long term, and has sky high upside by all accounts. You are not paying a premium for past performance (see: non-Latin American free agents). He would be considered part of the core, not a peripheral/secondary piece. Same goes for Tanaka, within reason. The Yankees, of course, are rarely reasonable.

Out of the 2, Tanaka was clearly more advanced when signed despite Abreu being a bit older. Better competition and better coaching. The White Sox are still covering some of the basics of 1b footwork with Abreu because he hasn't been taught correctly before. Tanaka has had professional pitching coaches before and it is showing already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)
Out of the 2, Tanaka was clearly more advanced when signed despite Abreu being a bit older. Better competition and better coaching. The White Sox are still covering some of the basics of 1b footwork with Abreu because he hasn't been taught correctly before. Tanaka has had professional pitching coaches before and it is showing already.

Those are probably some of the reasons Tanaka cost >2x more

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 19, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)

No, it was not a smart move, quite the contrary. Expecting him to fail, as you put it, and then watching him fail, is not a smart move. Financially, it was certainly not a smart move. Colossal waste of money. It doesn't do anyone, teammates included, fans included, any good to watch that kind of performance. It makes someone look to be a very poor judge of talent. Not a smart move. Now if he had a non guaranteed conmtract, like Boggs, it might not have looked so bad. The only smart move was by Paulino's agent. It would be smarter to have an 11 man staff, since the FO long ago made the decision to carry 3 FB/DH.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 05:30 AM)
No, it was not a smart move, quite the contrary. Expecting him to fail, as you put it, and then watching him fail, is not a smart move. Financially, it was certainly not a smart move. Colossal waste of money. It doesn't do anyone, teammates included, fans included, any good to watch that kind of performance. It makes someone look to be a very poor judge of talent. Not a smart move. Now if he had a non guaranteed conmtract, like Boggs, it might not have looked so bad. The only smart move was by Paulino's agent. It would be smarter to have an 11 man staff, since the FO long ago made the decision to carry 3 FB/DH.

Far from colossal in the scheme of things, and soon to be a small footnote of the rebuild. But yeah, it appears it was a bad judgement call, just not a major one for a team that won't be competing in '14 - the bright side is it's only April 20, and we're moving on already, even if the fallbacks aren't anything special.