Sox @ Tigers, 4/23, Rienzo vs. Smyly, 6:08 on CSN+

LittleHurt05

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
I doubt we'll see another guy like Konerko in Sox history, sticking with the team for 16 seasons and never causing a lick of trouble.

Lucky that the Dodgers dumped him way too soon and that the Reds wanted Mike Cameron.

Quite a player. Not a HOFer, but easily the next rung down. Plus he came up big in the 2005 postseason.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 07:36 PM)
Nobody in baseball hits the ball weakly enough to have just 1 in every 6.5 balls put in play result in hits.

Not to say he doesn't have some issues this year. He's walking a bit less, striking out a bit more (although you could put down a lot, if not all, of that to BS check swing calls), and looks anxious at the plate. But to say he's "worthless" is silly hyperbole. It may well be that he's less valuable than he has been, but that doesn't mean he won't still be valuable, or that you can even make a judgement after a little over 3 weeks. I guarantee you that if you took whomever is your favourite hitter on the team, I could find you a 3-week stretch where he hit about as badly*.

*unless it's Jose Abreu.

1/25 stretch putting his average in the low 220's

but that wasn't 3 weeks, just less than 1

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
Exactly what happened!

And I am more then content. If we would have lost with him giving up 4 runs in 6 innings I would not put the blame on him at all. Great job for a 5th starter to go 6+ against the favorite in the division.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
I understand every player usually goes through bad stretches and he won't hit this poorly all year but I don't get how you can say that based off that stat. I can say it because I have watched enough baseball in my life and have seen De Aza play enough to know he won't hit THIS poorly all year.

There's plenty of links you can read about how it makes sense to use BABIP in evaluation. I can post some in the advanced statistics thread after the game if you want, this probably isn't the best place for it.

it's crazy how this team is still putting up runs with all the injuries, they have every excuse just to rollover with so many regulars out of the lineup but instead they continue to hit. Leury Garcia is growing on a me a bit. Obviously he's not a guy you want starting all the time but as a bench player he could be pretty valuable.

flowers is going to be back down to 220 pretty quickly.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:43 AM)
Quite a player. Not a HOFer, but easily the next rung down. Plus he came up big in the 2005 postseason.

Amen.

Chose to stay with the team twice as a free agent when he could have A) moved closer to home or B) probably gotten more money elsewhere.

Paulie will always be welcome at 35th and Dan Ryan.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
it's crazy how this team is still putting up runs with all the injuries, they have every excuse just to rollover with so many regulars out of the lineup but instead they continue to hit. Leury Garcia is growing on a me a bit. Obviously he's not a guy you want starting all the time but as a bench player he could be pretty valuable.

flowers is going to be back down to 220 pretty quickly.

Especially when considering how badly the bottom of the line-up with DeAza, Flowers and Danks looks, then Leury Garcia and Konerko instead of Gillaspie and Dunn. Until the last 7-10 days, Semien was looking like he would have been better off playing SS every day at Charlotte.

Small miracles.

And Abreu.