Season 6 of the Gordon Beckham Era

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:33 PM)
Always sucks to lose your job right after hitting a game-winning grand slam. He was on the way out regardless, but it still stinks. It's like seeing your sub come to the scorer's table in basketball and proceeding to rain down 3's before the next stoppage

I'll be shocked if Semien actually loses his job.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
Beckham has about as much range as me sitting on my couch after 5 bong rips and a Las Asadas super burrito.

Meh, he's got a positive career UZR. It's not definitive or anything but dude's got a fairly solid glove and can get there better than you give him credit for.

As for the popups? Yeah, he's got those on lock.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)
Who, instead of Konerko, do the Sox need as a 25th man getting very little playing time? What young player that we have would be better served by sitting on the bench in Chicago?

Garcia probably won't hit enough to play everyday, but he's damn near the perfect 25th man.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:37 PM)
Meh, he's got a positive career UZR. It's not definitive or anything but dude's got a fairly solid glove and can get there better than you give him credit for.

As for the popups? Yeah, he's got those on lock.

I'm not even gonna touch this one. It's gonna turn on the E Minor bat signal. I don't want to get dude out of bed.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 11:33 PM)
Always sucks to lose your job right after hitting a game-winning grand slam. He was on the way out regardless, but it still stinks. It's like seeing your sub come to the scorer's table in basketball and proceeding to rain down 3's before the next stoppage

Or hitting one 3, bringing your OBP, er, 3-point percentage up to .280 for the year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:33 AM)

It's just disgraceful that he'll be demoted. Very very unnecessary and very wrong. Gordon Beckham brings little to a team. His 1-2 hot streaks per season and that's it.

Semien will get time at 3B and my guess is they will make sure he at least gets 4 starts a week. He has no business being in AAA at this point and at the same time has no business riding the bench. I don't think the organization looks at Gillespie as anything special so he'll have to take a backseat and expect Marcus to get the majority of the starts there until we can hopefully trade Beckham for someone at the deadline.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 04:37 AM)

His UZR is marginally positive at +2.5 over 4 seasons (+0.625/year), but with a negative range rating (-6.5 over same period).

I'm ready to move on with life without Beckham. Semein should be our everyday 2b- there's no doubt. I guess send Semien down for a few months until we trade Gordon? Will Gordon actually have any trade value ? Who shall be in the market for a 2b this deadline?

My argument for keeping Semien as the starter is that by doing so we can probably get through most of his growing pains this year. That sets up better to be competitive next year and is more valuable IMO than the C prospect we'll potentially get for Beckham if he plays well. Make him a backup, give him some starts at 3B & SS, and hope his versatility and lack of options on the left side of the infield gets you that same C prospect come the deadline.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I realize that we all hate Beckham and all love Semien, but Marcus is hitting .234/.280/.394 and has 28 strikeouts against only 6 walks. I do think that some time in AAA would be good for him. It also allows him to play SS every day.

This reminds me of the venom when Ozzie made Crede the 3rd baseman in 2008. People couldn't live without Josh Fields. I wouldn't be surprised to see Semien stay and play 2B, 3B and maybe some OF. A Tony Phillips-like guy. Hawk did mention Tony Phillips during the game yesterday.

But as was posted above, besides his clutch homers (I thought there was no such thing as clutch) Semien has shown he probably could use some time in the minors.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
This reminds me of the venom when Ozzie made Crede the 3rd baseman in 2008. People couldn't live without Josh Fields. I wouldn't be surprised to see Semien stay and play 2B, 3B and maybe some OF. A Tony Phillips-like guy. Hawk did mention Tony Phillips during the game yesterday.

But as was posted above, besides his clutch homers (I thought there was no such thing as clutch) Semien has shown he probably could use some time in the minors.

Well if there is such a thing as clutch, Marcus has had some clutch moments.

Semien can't stay on MLB club unless we can find 5 starts/week for him. It will really suck if Leury has to go down. He does exactly what we need from a bench guy and has honestly outhit Semien, albeit in many fewer ABs

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
Semien can't stay on MLB club unless we can find 5 starts/week for him. It will really suck if Leury has to go down. He does exactly what we need from a bench guy and has honestly outhit Semien, albeit in many fewer ABs

I think you can find 5 or more starts for him a week if you let him play some OF.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
I think you can find 5 or more starts for him a week if you let him play some OF.

Please, no.

He's already got enough to think about without getting his mind wrapped around playing 4 or 5 positions.

Has he EVER played the outfield in the minors?

I think it's just SS, some 2B and just a little 3B.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
Please, no.

He's already got enough to think about without getting his mind wrapped around playing 4 or 5 positions.

Has he EVER played the outfield in the minors?

I think it's just SS, some 2B and just a little 3B.

He's a baseball player. It really isn't that hard. It is amazing people think something as complicated as hitting is easily solved by coaching, but something fairly simple, like being an average OF if you have the tools is way too much to think about.

Just keep in mind, Hawk mentioned Tony Phillips last night. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)

Why does it always have to come to these ridiculous comparisons? Marcus Semien Josh Fields. Two completely different with completely different skill-sets.

Semien displayed elite plate discipline last year in AA. Yes, he is struggling in that department right now like most rookies do initially against major league pitching. However, he's still finding ways to be productive (working up pitch counts, good power, clutch hits) and help the team win games. Also, despite these growing pains, he's only 20 points below Gordon's career OPS of .694. The upside with Semien is legit and we are seeing it in flashes. Beckham has shown over the course of nearly 2,500 plate appearances that he's not very good with the bat. This is a transitional year and we're better off giving playing time to the guy who is expected to be part of the long-term core than the guy who may deliver us a C prospect if all goes well.