Mariners trade partners?

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
Trade Winds thread was closed. No Catch All Thread. I guess I'll dump this here. Jon Heyman was on with Mully and Abbatacola this morning. He was talking about how he wasn't sure if the White Sox would be sellers because they are only 5.5 back of the 2nd wildcard. He mentioned that teams would be interested in Beckham, Ramirez, Dunn, and Danks. I can't see Rick Hahn standing pat if there's a deal to be made. The Sox have a real chance here to set themselves up nicely for 2015 and 2016. I hope they do the right thing and sell. The White Sox have a better chance at a top 5 pick than they do a playoff berth in my opinion.

Meh, Jon Heyman is New York lingo for Phil Rogers. That guy throws a lot of stuff at the wall

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade Winds thread was closed. No Catch All Thread. I guess I'll dump this here. Jon Heyman was on with Mully and Abbatacola this morning. He was talking about how he wasn't sure if the White Sox would be sellers because they are only 5.5 back of the 2nd wildcard. He mentioned that teams would be interested in Beckham, Ramirez, Dunn, and Danks. I can't see Rick Hahn standing pat if there's a deal to be made. The Sox have a real chance here to set themselves up nicely for 2015 and 2016. I hope they do the right thing and sell. The White Sox have a better chance at a top 5 pick than they do a playoff berth in my opinion.

Tell Heyman there are 7 (I think) teams ahead of us in the w.c. race. Hahn knows that. We'll be sellers soon.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
Meh, Jon Heyman is New York lingo for Phil Rogers. That guy throws a lot of stuff at the wall

I disagree, I think he's pretty good.

To the topic, what teams did he say would be interested in those players and I definitely think we should sell. Everyone knows this isn't a playoff team yet so trade the pieces you have now that have value and set yourself up for the future.

Owner of the site wants you to start new threads with new news so people don't have to go digging and it can generate discussion. That's why trade wind and catch all threads were closed.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
I disagree, I think he's pretty good.

To the topic, what teams did he say would be interested in those players and I definitely think we should sell. Everyone knows this isn't a playoff team yet so trade the pieces you have now that have value and set yourself up for the future.

He's pretty much the worst, his next insightful thought will be his first. Right up there with Nightengale as national sports writers who provide nothing to the landscape.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
Owner of the site wants you to start new threads with new news so people don't have to go digging and it can generate discussion. That's why trade wind and catch all threads were closed.

I didn't think this topic warranted a thread of its own.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 05:48 AM)

Create a new thread. That is why there is none of that crap so legit news doesn't get burried.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Create a new thread. That is why there is none of that crap so legit news doesn't get burried.

Understood. I didn't think it was big enough news to create a new thread. It has like 6 replies and 2 of them are people saying that I should've created a thread. Not really thread worthy I guess.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
Understood. I didn't think it was big enough news to create a new thread. It has like 6 replies and 2 of them are people saying that I should've created a thread. Not really thread worthy I guess.

Worse case is there isn't a lot of replies but it at least gets read and people get to see it. When it is stuck in massive threads, information is missed.

Trade Viciedo for that young Seattle SS who can't hit.

Then trade Alexei for some of their young A and AA pitchers....don't know who, but I'm sure they have some - they always do. I watched their game the other night and they have some guy in the pen with electric stuff and an ERA of around 7...looked like a good "coop can fix 'em" candidate.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)

Then trade Alexei for some of their young A and AA pitchers....don't know who, but I'm sure they have some - they always do. I watched their game the other night and they have some guy in the pen with electric stuff and an ERA of around 7...looked like a good "coop can fix 'em" candidate.

Brad Miller? I think he's been better lately.

Trading Alexei for anything less than a Top 50 prospect who is within a year of contributing at the major league level would be insane.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Trading Alexei for anything less than a Top 50 prospect who is within a year of contributing at the major league level would be insane.

I'd move him for a 50-100 guy + two live arms and feel great about it.

Then I'd miss him :(

But I'd still feel good about the deal.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)

Wilhelmsen?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
Word is that the Mariners turned down that exact offer in the offseason. I don't think Viciedo has done anything in the meantime to change their minds.

Well, Franklin's .363 OPS this season probably hasn't instilled the Mariners with much confidence either. On paper, Viciedo is way too much.

They found a replacement anyway: he has .609 OPS and .277 OBP.

They should be desperate.

Viciedo for Franklin.

Alexei for quality prospects.

Alexei is 6th in OPS in SS. His salary is probably higher than most. What's he worth?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Well, Franklin's .363 OPS this season probably hasn't instilled the Mariners with much confidence either. On paper, Viciedo is way too much.

They found a replacement anyway: he has .609 OPS and .277 OBP.

They should be desperate.

Viciedo for Franklin.

Alexei for quality prospects.

Alexei is 6th in OPS in SS. His salary is probably higher than most. What's he worth?

Except Viciedo is 2 years and over 1,000 PA older. He's a bad defense, 96 wRC+ left fielder, lol. That's not worth anything on paper.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Except Viciedo is 2 years and over 1,000 PA older. He's a bad defense, 96 wRC+ left fielder, lol. That's not worth anything on paper.

Not saying he should be worth a ton, but you're clearly ignoring his power potential in a baseball environment where power is at a premium. Given that he's only 25 years old and has shown some improvement in his plate discipline this year, I think at least a couple teams would have interest in him if the price was right, regardless of how his numbers look on paper.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
Not saying he should be worth a ton, but you're clearly ignoring his power potential in a baseball environment where power is at a premium. Given that he's only 25 years old and has shown some improvement in his plate discipline this year, I think at least a couple teams would have interest in him if the price was right, regardless of how his numbers look on paper.

I have no doubt someone would give him a shot, but I really think we're deluding ourselves if we think we're going to get anything exciting back. He can't help anyone right now, and a guy who's had 1500 PA of ML failure is much less likely to help a team LATER than the prospect we would hope they'd give up.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
I have no doubt someone would give him a shot, but I really think we're deluding ourselves if we think we're going to get anything exciting back. He can't help anyone right now, and a guy who's had 1500 PA of ML failure is much less likely to help a team LATER than the prospect we would hope they'd give up.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/5...win-encarnacion

Encarnacion went from his rookie year through 2011 (and these were years when power was up) hitting mostly in the low 700ish range for OPS.

He played 3B at that time, but he was terrible at that position, and eventually moved to 1B/DH.

There's also the example of Jose Bautista, who had a very solid rookie year, almost fell entirely off the map and then recovered. Domonic Brown...Pedro Alvarez, etc.

No guarantees, but Encarnacion and Viciedo have been compared a lot. He's definitely worth SOMETHING to someone.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/5...win-encarnacion

Encarnacion went from his rookie year through 2011 (and these were years when power was up) hitting mostly in the low 700ish range for OPS.

He played 3B at that time, but he was terrible at that position, and eventually moved to 1B/DH.

There's also the example of Jose Bautista, who had a very solid rookie year, almost fell entirely off the map and then recovered. Domonic Brown...Pedro Alvarez, etc.

No guarantees, but Encarnacion and Viciedo have been compared a lot. He's definitely worth SOMETHING to someone.

Thank you for doing this. Some people seem to forget that for some players it does take time to develop. Viciedo is still only 25, he's got talent, just needs to put everything together, and I hope that it's with the White Sox.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
Thank you for doing this. Some people seem to forget that for some players it does take time to develop. Viciedo is still only 25, he's got talent, just needs to put everything together, and I hope that it's with the White Sox.

If nothing changes in the next 3 months, I think it's a safe bet that it won't be with the White Sox if it happens.