GAME THREAD 7/29: SOX @ DET

cabiness42

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

De Aza has a 0.1 WAR right now, I really doubt a BABIP 30 to 40 points below his career average is preventing him from being a 2.5 to 3.0 WAR player. The fact is De Aza was a real nice player when he could play CF. Unfortunately, he's a LF now and his bat is far less valuable there. Going forward he's a platoon OF, which can be useful, but is not the same guy we saw from 2011 to 2013 in his late 20s.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
Come on Abreu!

Sorry if this was posted already, but Abreu has back to back 18 game hitting streaks, hitting in 36 of his last 37. That's remarkable for a guy with a 300 ISO, or anyone.

To me, it means that few hurlers are fooling him for any length of time, and he's doing it while swinging hard. Love this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Watching De Aza be stupid at the game of baseball versus watching the advanced stats. He hurts his teams. So does De Aza. I won't be sad when either are gone.

Well those same stats tell me Jose Abreu is pretty good and Dayan Viciedo sucks so imma go with the theory that you have a bad case of confirmation bias here.

Also, pretty telling that is was Tank, and not De Aza benched to start the year. The Sox don't agree with your assessment.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 07:59 PM)
Well those same stats tell me Jose Abreu is pretty good and Dayan Viciedo sucks so imma go with the theory that you have a bad case of confirmation bias here.

Also, pretty telling that is was Tank, and not De Aza benched to start the year. The Sox don't agree with your assessment.

Viciedo sucks too. They both are terrible, terrible fielders, and both hurt their teams on the bases. De Aza just hurts more because he does things like get picked off, doubled off, thrown out going for the extra base, and steal bases at a bad rate.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 06:57 PM)
De Aza has a 0.1 WAR right now, I really doubt a BABIP 30 to 40 points below his career average is preventing him from being a 2.5 to 3.0 WAR player. The fact is De Aza was a real nice player when he could play CF. Unfortunately, he's a LF now and his bat is far less valuable there. Going forward he's a platoon OF, which can be useful, but is not the same guy we saw from 2011 to 2013 in his late 20s.

There's nothing too wrong with that summary, except a) people are acting like he's never been any good and b) even with that low BABIP he's hitting .269/.340/.406. Adjust that for his career BABIP, combined with his cromulent defence/baserunning that can be a pretty valuable guy as the platoon guy playing the majority of the time. Although you're correct, obviously not as valuable as an everyday CF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 07:07 PM)
Viciedo sucks too. They both are terrible, terrible fielders, and both hurt their teams on the bases. De Aza just hurts more because he does things like get picked off, doubled off, thrown out going for the extra base, and steal bases at a bad rate.

Do you think they're of roughly equivalent value (or lack thereof) on defence and on the bases?

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)
Do you think they're of roughly equivalent value (or lack thereof) on defence and on the bases?

I think De Aza rates higher on defense because of his speed. I'm not really sure on the bases. While De Aza gets more positives on the bases he also gets you a lot of negatives. Viciedo isn't going to run you out of an inning. De Aza will, and does. Dayan is just a station to station guy, which means he brings you no positives.

At the end of the day neither of them has any sort of a baseball IQ, and they are really hard to watch. Watching De Aza reminds me of watching Scott Pods after his hammys starting giving him problems. He'll give you some good things, and then he would turn around and do something stupid to give it right back.