Sox sign Gordon Beckham, designate Viciedo for Assignment

flavum

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
i too would have love to have Ichiro. i really don't want to jinks anyone but i am not convince that Garcia can go a whole season without injury of some sort.

with the lineup the sox have now, Bonifacio is the cf and leadoff if Eaton gets hurt.

Assuming they're healthy though, they all were going to play everyday. Not sure ichiro would like the idea of playing once a week maybe?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
i too would have love to have Ichiro. i really don't want to jinks anyone but i am not convince that Garcia can go a whole season without injury of some sort.

with the lineup the sox have now, Bonifacio is the cf and leadoff if Eaton gets hurt.

I hope Micah can come out and be pretty good from the start cause I don't love the idea of Bonifacio getting significant AB's and being our leadoff hitter. And we should just assume Eaton is going to have a stint on the DL (until he proves us otherwise). That said, if he wants to replicate that season he had with Florida a few years ago and put up a .360 OBP, I'd be okay with that.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
Assuming they're healthy though, they all were going to play everyday. Not sure ichiro would like the idea of playing once a week maybe?

esp when he is only hanging around for the 3,000 hit club.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
I hope Micah can come out and be pretty good from the start cause I don't love the idea of Bonifacio getting significant AB's and being our leadoff hitter. And we should just assume Eaton is going to have a stint on the DL (until he proves us otherwise). That said, if he wants to replicate that season he had with Florida a few years ago and put up a .360 OBP, I'd be okay with that.

i don't know why, but i still have faith in him to produce.

Beckham's role on this team is totally redundant with Bonifacio unless the plan is to have one or the other start in the infield.

C Flowers

1B Abreu

2B Sanchez

3B Gillaspie

SS Alexei

LF Melky

CF Eaton

RF Avisail

DH LaRoche

BN Backup catcher

BN Bonifacio

BN Backup OF

BN Beckham

SP Sale

SP Q

SP Samardzija

SP Danks

SP Noesi

RP

RP

RP

RP

RP

RP

RP

7 relievers, doesn't matter who.

That's 12 pitchers and then you dedicate your bench to two guys who are iffy bats but play the IF. Beckham has a worse bat, possibly worse glove, and is not remotely useful as a baserunner outside of just getting your slowest guy off the field. To me, he only makes sense if you want no rookie 2B on the roster. Then, you need a guy like Viciedo to give you some kind of bat off the bench.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
How did Quentin come up? Even if he could still play the outfield, the Sox have Cabrera and Garcia in the corners, and then DH is covered by Abreu/LaRoche.

I think most people thought that if Viciedo made the team, he would DH vs LHP with LaRoche sitting (and pinch hitting).

So TCQ could now fill that role.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
Bonifacio will be needed to fill in in the OF to give guys days off. Gordon will be the de facto backup utility IF, 25th man.

with DV gone, that is how i see it. i really hope this team stays healthy

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
Kirk Hinrich hit that three last night so maybe Gordon can contribute vs. lefties

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
The disabled list needs some bodies

Two fantastic post-of-the-year candidates, lol.

Didn't think about that, did you, wite? We have MI depth but we don't have any DL depth. TCQ provides that IN SPADES, as they say.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Ichiro and Saladino looks a lot better than Beckham and Shuck.

I don't know that Shuck is making the roster, but those honestly don't look that different to me.

Frankly, it's $2 mill, and if Beckham isn't hitting and Saladino is, I doubt the Sox will have any second guesses about DFA'ing Beckham too. It provides them a veteran player coming off a year where he hit lefties particularly well. He seems like a good guy to have in the clubhouse too.

To me, the big deal that people are making about this is that Gordon Beckham had a long tenure as a 2B with the Sox and it's basically "too soon" to have a reunion, even if it's a small role. If he had a different name and hadn't played for the Sox, we'd be saying "Huh, nice addition, not a big deal."

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 10:40 PM)
I don't disgree but there is an opportunity cost associated with that 2 million. I would much prefer Denorfia/Ichiro when Eaton ends up on the DL. Beckham brings what Bonifacio can already do. Saladino can very likely do what Beckham can do.

As far as the last part, you're right and I think it says a lot about what the White Sox think about GB as a person.

unless this was thought to be a fan move, a PR move for something they are going to do, or not to do. this looks so much of a sox move.

this is the best i can explain it, a gut feeling.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
You suck Beckham. How the hell did he get 2 million? Is that really the going rate?

It is. WAR on the FA market is almost at 8 million per WAR. For a .5 WAR player like Beckham, 2 million is fair value.

edit: when you are talking about the 25th man, there is little "opportunity cost". If the 25th man gets more than 150 PA, something went horribly wrong anyways. No team plans on having the 25th man as anything more than plan D.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 10:48 PM)
It is. WAR on the FA market is almost at 8 million per WAR. For a .5 WAR player like Beckham, 2 million is fair value.

edit: when you are talking about the 25th man, there is little "opportunity cost". If the 25th man gets more than 150 PA, something went horribly wrong anyways. No team plans on having the 25th man as anything more than plan D.

and that goes to show salary has become sooo crazy.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 51m51 minutes ago

Rick Hahn: We’ve put ourselves in a place where we’re decently insulated against the unexpected and have some flexibility to just 1/2

Rick Hahn 2/2: take the guy who we feel in the end is going to help us win the most ballgames, not necessarily cover a position of need.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 54m54 minutes ago

Hahn: "Again it’s about having a flexible roster, one that allows Robin to exploit matchups whenever they present themselves to him ...

More Hahn: ".. At the same time, we have insurance policies if things should not go entirely according to plan."

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 1h1 hour ago

Hahn "will flush out interest" in Viciedo and "find him a better home. It won't surprise us if he has a very successful career elsewhere."