flavum

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Save $2M.

Bench now:

C

Bonifacio (can play everything basically)

Beckham (skill INF, mostly 2B/3B vs LHP whom he has hit usually)

One of Sanchez (mostly SS/2B, maybe 3B), Leury (all over), Shuck (pure OF), Saladino (all INF, maybe some OF), Taylor (pure OF)

Looks like an improvement to me, though small. The biggest loser in all this is Saladino, who was first in line for the role Beckham now takes. But I think the team didn't want to trust his unknown quality and his return from TJ surgery.

If Johnson wins 2B job, I'd say Sanchez wins the last bench spot, but hard to say.

If Sanchez wins 2B job, it's more likely an OF since Sanchez can move around INF, which means Shuck or Taylor.

I think Saladino and Leury are now very long shots to make the team, barring injuries.

This is going to shock those who know Greg (and his hatred for Becks), but I like it. Micah isn't ready and I don't like the other options at 2B.

The guy is a great fielder.

He's maddening to watch hit, but guess what? If this first rounder is EVER going to make it big, this is it for him. He no longer can be cocky or complacent (if he was those things). Perhaps he'll listen to his hitting coaches and drill the ball to the opposite field.

My point is, the Sox have lousy options at second right now, and if Beckham is ever going to do squat in the bigs, it might as well be THIS season for the White Sox.

After all the additions the Sox have made, I don't mind Beckham starting at second.

Jesus christ -- I thought we were finally done with this guy.

To me, this seems like one of those situations where we're in danger of having the coach overplay him.

EDIT: Also, this isn't how I envisioned getting rid of Viciedo, lol.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)

To me, this seems like one of those situations where we're in danger of having the coach overplay him.

Given that they stuck to their word with PK14 last season, I do have some hope that this won't happen.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 09:13 PM)

woke up to this news.... i am between extremely happy, (DV) going and at an impass (GB) coming back. i was surprise but not totally unexpected.

well i have to look to the good, DV is going.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Kirk Hinrich hit that three last night so maybe Gordon can contribute vs. lefties
I watched Gordon in his first spring training with the sox. I thought he was the messiah. Beckham proved to be disappointing after his initial debut. I hope he realizes his potential again even if it is in a limited role.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
I watched Gordon in his first spring training with the sox. I thought he was the messiah. Beckham proved to be disappointing after his initial debut. I hope he realizes his potential again even if it is in a limited role.

but he ooozzz potential and talent. too bad he couldn't put it together in a season. pretty much like B Anderson.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
But ya, this is the first move all offseason that I really don't understand at all.

I think it's a great move. It gives them two guys that can play a few positions and hit pretty well against LHP, which is something that LaRoche/Gillaspie/M. Johnson probably won't provide.

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
So, there's not one MLB team that would've offered anything for Viciedo?

Unbelievable.

i think that they might have.... only if the sox kicked in money to cover his salary.

would you have traded for him, his salary and his defense if you were a gm?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
I think it's a great move. It gives them two guys that can play a few positions and hit pretty well against LHP, which is something that LaRoche/Gillaspie/M. Johnson probably won't provide.

He's just as crappy against lefties as he is against righties. If the Bonifacio move didn't happen then I could sort of see how this would make sense as he can play multiple positions but no thanks now.