Sox sign Gordon Beckham, designate Viciedo for Assignment

flavum

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 10:51 PM)
I think the Sox are a position where they know Sanchez isn't good enough and they know Micah isn't ready so they're relegating to Beckham.

EDIT: Not a true starter, but would anyone be surprised if Beckham and Bonifacio end up getting significant time between 2B/3B? One of them starts against RHP and both against LHP.

i am more incline to say that Bonifacio will end up starting at 2b at the beginning and then becoming the jack of all trade in other positions, with sanchez and beckman providing coverage.

just my hunch.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
He posted a .6 WAR last year. The fangraphs article I found from last season put the cost of 1.0 WAR at $7 million. 60% of that is $4.2 million. It isn't crazy to think we are at $8 million per war now, and 60% of that would be $4.8 million.

Previous to last year he posted 0.8, 0.8, and 1.2 from 2013, 12, and 11 respectively.

The number isn't that crazy is you subscribe to the WAR numbers.

Net present value for WAR in the FA market is still between $5-6M, depending on which model you use. I doubt he could post .6 WAR as a bench player, but for insurance in case Sanchez and Micah doesn't pan out, $2M is well worth it.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
I know we saved $4M, but I kind of wish that we kept DV on the roster. Bonifacio, Beckham, Soto and Viciedo would give us one of the best benches in the league. The drop off between Viciedo and Shuck or Taylor is pretty significant offensively.

Ideally, Boni would backup 3B/CF/LF, Beckham backs up 2B/SS/3B, Viciedo backs up LF/RF/DH, Soto would backup C/DH.

As of now, I think the chances of Soto winning the backup catcher spot increased a little bit. Historically, he's pretty good against lefties, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets some look as the DH for LaRoche along with Beckham. Boni and Beckham alone just doesn't provide enough pop at DH.

Now let's see if we are tabbed or if we could use some of that money saved to bring in another bullpen arm or reclamation project starter.

I had forgotten about Taylor, and I have a mancrush on him. I think his swing is a little long and he lacks good contact skills, but he can hit the ball a long ways, and as I recall, he's a lot better than Viciedo in the corners in that he appears to actually know what he's doing, even if he's athletically limited. I'd be on board the Taylor train.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
It is exactly the argument. Is he worth $5 million? According to advanced stats, he put up just under $5 million of WAR last year, and more than that in each of the previous three years.

The argument was the Beckham's defense alone will make him worth $5 mill. I don't think we can make that statement. If he were the full time starter, and he'd received a contract for $5 mill, I think he'd justify it over the course of a season based on $/WAR, but that's mostly because he's a non-terrible bat who plays non-terrible defense at a light-hitting position.

Saladino and Leury are the ones who really are pushed to the outside looking in...

I'm assuming they weren't 100% convinced that he was going to be ready to begin the season....coming off the TJ surgery.

So Shuck's now the favorite for 4th outfielder? Of course, we also have Bonifacio, but that's still a bit scary.

Where did Moises Sierra end up again? I seem to recall he was picked up by a team and then quickly dropped from their roster, maybe KC?

Campana? Mitchell? Thompson? Those last two can't be serious possibilities, one would think.

The Orioles have an outfield of DeAza, Jones and Snider (whom they just acquired) with David Lough and Pearce the other options. I'll guess they will get involved.

Certainly appears the Sox did not want him in camp and forced the action now. If the Mariners are actually interested, they have 10 days to step forward.

Bravo for that.

As for Beckham, nobody had claimed No. 15 yet.

I think the theory is fine of him being the backup. I just wonder how accepting he'll be of sitting behind Johnson or sanchez. The LA Times reported that he turned down a utility deal with the Angels because he wanted to be a starter. Maybe he'll be motivated on a one-year deal and play for a better contract.

Yes, The royals claimed Sierra, but he's no longer on their 40-man.

As long as they don't bring back Dunn, I will not complain.

Edited by winninguglyin83

Ultimately I don't care, I'd prefer a back up infielder that's actually a plus defender who can steal a base. I'd actually prefer L Garcia in that role, but we're talking about the 25th man on the roster so it's not a huge deal. I'd also prefer not to look at Beckham's squished face anymore, but that's a different matter.

Forgot about Taylor, but hopefully there are better options by the end of ST than Taylor, Shuck or Campana.

Don't the Padres have 7-8 outfielders right now?

What's next, bringing back Carlos Quentin?

I don't see Sierra anywhere on the Royals' roster. They do have former White Sox/Brazlian/Wilder fiasco name Paulo Orlando. I think they also released Carlos Peguero, another OF option.

Wouldn't it have been better just to not bring back Beckham and give that money to Aoki as the back-up?

Oh, well.

Guess they valued Beckham's experience and "marketing value" over Saladino...and the possibility they're going to need Bonifacio and Beckham to cover 3B and 2B, not to mention LaRoche's at-bats against lefties.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
I had forgotten about Taylor, and I have a mancrush on him. I think his swing is a little long and he lacks good contact skills, but he can hit the ball a long ways, and as I recall, he's a lot better than Viciedo in the corners in that he appears to actually know what he's doing, even if he's athletically limited. I'd be on board the Taylor train.

I was one of Taylor's biggest supporters too. But after his cup of tea last year, I don't think he could ever make the adjustment to hit big league pitching. There's a reason he's already 29 years old and only has 100 AB's in the big leagues.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 05:58 PM)
Does that include offense?

Yes.

Would you be happy if I said I "slightly" exaggerated?

I'm prone to that. Most people just tune it out. :P

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
So what does our bench currently look like? Who will be the backup catcher?

Beckham (3b, SS, 2b)

Bonafacio (Inf, OF)

L. Garcia (INF)

Catcher?

Beckham IF, Bonifacio UTL, Shuck OF, Soto C

In my opinion. Could change if Shuck stinks or Soto isn't healthy, but on Jan 28, I think this is it.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
So what does our bench currently look like? Who will be the backup catcher?

Beckham (3b, SS, 2b)

Bonafacio (Inf, OF)

L. Garcia (INF)

Catcher?

Garcia and Saladino are out of the picture unless there's an injury, Johnson/Sanchez completely fall flat on their faces and one of those guys hits .400+ in spring.

That's highly unlikely.

I do think they're going to be scouring the waiver wires at the end of March to find a more suitable option than Shuck, with a bit more power.

As far as Leury goes, the ONE advantage he has in his favor is his versatility, speed and ability to cover CF in case of an Eaton injury...but you already have enough versatility with Sanchez, Bonifacio and Beckham.

This bench doesn't give you that game-changer off the bench like Dyson and Gore with the Royals, who can swipe bases at will.

It also forces Soto onto the roster, because there's just not enough power with Viciedo gone coming from those other 3.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
It also forces Soto onto the roster, because there's just not enough power with Viciedo gone coming from those other 3.

I am so tired of hearing stuff like this.

The Kansas City Royals hit 95 home runs last year. The Chicago White sox hit 155. The Chicago White Sox were 8th in the AL in runs scored. The Royals were 9th. We hit 60 more home runs than they did while scoring a total of 9 more runs than they did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)

The Kansas City Royals hit 95 home runs last year. The Chicago White sox hit 155. The Chicago White Sox were 8th in the AL in runs scored. The Royals were 9th. We hit 60 more home runs than they did while scoring a total of 9 more runs than they did.

More than runs scored, I would love to see what our standard deviation for runs scored was. Of course the biggest difference between KC and Chicago started and ended with the pitching staff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)

The Kansas City Royals play in Kaufman Stadium. The Chicago White Sox play in USCF. Power is a definite must.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)

Haha, that's a very funny read. Thanks for posting that.

As for Beckham, I think the worst part about bringing him back is the Hawk homerism. " the strong arm of Gordon Beckham" etc.

I thought I would not hear that ever again but I was clearly thought wrong.

I don't hate bringing him back but I'm no fan of it either. I know Saladino is coming off of TJ surgery but I think I would rather stick with him.

On the plus side, Viciedo is gone.

Edited by StRoostifer