ST: 3/10 at Royals

flavum

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
I really like Micah Johnson

I also like the tools... My concern is his ability to combat the inevitable big league struggles. If you watch him closely - any play on defense or at the plate that doesn't go his way leads to a very visible display of irritation. Normally, that's fine... It shows fire. With Micah thou, he reminds me of a toddler throwing a tantrum. My baseball sixth sense sees weakness and room for growth here.

Trayce Thompson threw a guy out at 2nd. He's having a nice spring on both sides of the ball. Not going to make the OD roster, but would be nice for him to have a big year in AAA.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
Any analysis on Danish today above-and-beyond the box score?

His 4S was around 88-90 according to Gameday, FWIW. He's got tons of movement but that's been a fear with him, at least for me, all along. Then again it is ST and he may be getting stretched out.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
I also like the tools... My concern is his ability to combat the inevitable big league struggles. If you watch him closely - any play on defense or at the plate that doesn't go his way leads to a very visible display of irritation. Normally, that's fine... It shows fire. With Micah thou, he reminds me of a toddler throwing a tantrum. My baseball sixth sense sees weakness and room for growth here.

Good call. I noticed that too. Hopefully Ventura talks to him about showing up umpires. Not what you want to do right out of the gate.

Same thing with Rodon being a perfectionist. Part of his pitching growth will be to understand that not every pitch will be perfect.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
I know I'll get flamed over it but I just can't get over how much I hate the Beckham signing. I would feel much better with Rickie Weeks or Chris Denorfia on the roster.

I think most of us hate the signing. It pisses me off he even has a chance to start somewhere

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)

Yea those things have to be handled with an inner fire. The season is too long to let things bother you. Vow to do better then let it roll off your back.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
I think most of us hate the signing. It pisses me off he even has a chance to start somewhere

I don't. Me and fathom were calling for it or at least mentioning it wasn't a bad fit. And it really isn't . You just have to forget it's Beckham . Think of him as Backup Infielder or his alias Bach Infelder .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Yea those things have to be handled with an inner fire. The season is too long to let things bother you. Vow to do better then let it roll off your back.

Yeah, visibly frustrated and had his hands folded across his chest....lets chalk it up to competitiveness and not immaturity or petulance.

With Johnson apparently running (lol) away with the 2B job, Beckham is really only considered for the UTIL INF job. And he'd be fine for that, hitting against LHP a lot. It's him or Carlos Sanchez in that role (theoretically could be both but not likely). I think they're both fine for that.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)

I listened to a pretty good interview with Logan Morrison on 710 ESPN here in Seattle the other morning where he talked about learning to control his emotions (both negative and positive) and how for most guys it only comes with experience. Personally I'd rather have Micah build up his confidence in AA or AAA for a couple months and then re-evaluate the situation at 2B. MLB is not the place to learn this stuff.

There isn't much upside in having him the starter and Sanchez only seeing action once or twice a week and say for instance (and it could very well happen, a hot spring means little to nothing when the real games start) he struggles out of the gate and is hitting 180/220/300 in late May -- then what do you do?

It makes so much more sense to start with Sanchez and have Micah in AAA knocking down (hopefully) the door.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
I listened to a pretty good interview with Logan Morrison on 710 ESPN here in Seattle the other morning where he talked about learning to control his emotions (both negative and positive) and how for most guys it only comes with experience. Personally I'd rather have Micah build up his confidence in AA or AAA for a couple months and then re-evaluate the situation at 2B. MLB is not the place to learn this stuff.

There isn't much upside in having him the starter and Sanchez only seeing action once or twice a week and say for instance (and it could very well happen, a hot spring means little to nothing when the real games start) he struggles out of the gate and is hitting 180/220/300 in late May -- then what do you do?

It makes so much more sense to start with Sanchez and have Micah in AAA knocking down (hopefully) the door.

i will have to say this, i never thought that Micah will be doing so well this yr. it is really making it hard to even think of him being sent to the minors. i mean, if the player plays and hits very well in spring training, then all would imagine that he earned the job. wouldn't you think??

Someone show Micah the video footage of Quentin braking his wrist. Maybe that will help Micah to chill a bit. :P

Seriously though, I think or am hoping its just Micah pressing because he knows he has a serious shot at the second base opening.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
i will have to say this, i never thought that Micah will be doing so well this yr. it is really making it hard to even think of him being sent to the minors. i mean, if the player plays and hits very well in spring training, then all would imagine that he earned the job. wouldn't you think??

If the Sox think he's earned it fine, but all this talk is just confirmation bias after 20 PA. I mean seriously, PUMP THE f***ING BREAKS.

Every single year it seems someone is anointed the next big thing in camp this year Rodon and Micah get to split the honors. I can only hope the Sox are a little more savvy then some of the fans and media.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
When does the sand run out on Jared Mitchell?

Eh, with JR in charge? Probably never. Dude will be a career AAA guy making 80k a year and retire into an instructional role after that. It's one of the many nice things about JR that goes under-reported IMO.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
If the Sox think he's earned it fine, but all this talk is just confirmation bias after 20 PA. I mean seriously, PUMP THE f***ING BREAKS.

Every single year it seems someone is anointed the next big thing in camp this year Rodon and Micah get to split the honors. I can only hope the Sox are a little more savvy then some of the fans and media.

I can't think of the last time someone was annointed next big thing since like Ryan Sweeney was referred to as a baseball god.

For a lot of people, there was wonder on just why the org tended to view micah with so much preference. This is the first time people can see that.

Honestly, I think you can chill, you read 4 posts in a game thread and then go off the deepend. Heads up, every small action is a career indictment in game threads.