Meet Carson Fulmer (Stats, GIFs, Scouting reports, Tweets, and Analysi

wsiskel

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great job and alot of info.

i think, i may be wrong, but Fulmer is this yr triple crown pitcher.

also he has a young arm, considering that he was used mostly as a reliever, so working as a sp and with the pitching coaches of the sox org, he will not only get stronger, but become a better pitcher.

this was the BPA without a doubt.

"We're going to hear different things about an unconventional delivery, things of that nature, but you can't pass on guys that win and guys that are effective and guys that get people out," Laumann said. "He's got a dynamic pitch. His breaking ball is his strikeout pitch. He's 93-96 (mph), 98, carries it late into game. We're excited to get him."

If possible, (assistant scouting director Nick) Hostetler was more excited than Laumann. "I made a comment earlier this week that he's a guy for me that you want in between the lines," Hostetler said. "He battles, competes. He's also a guy off the field, I have two daughters, and I hope a guy like that marries one of my daughters.

"Just a terrific kid. For us he was the best college guy in the draft. We never want to really look at path. We want to look at development and what he's going to be at the end. But I think in the end, we are looking at it and we think he's going to help us here not only the quickest but also at the same time his ceiling is the highest for what we are trying to do."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2015060...orts/150608908/

Scot Gregor

Apparently Hostetler's been following/tracking him for at least two seasons...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:06 AM)
Nice stuff.

Curious as to what Thaddius Lowry has that puts him in the same bracket as Montas, Danish and Adams though.

i know..... i really need to see more of him. i am totally amazed on how he just went out there and silently put himself on the radar as a major viable sox prospect.

where i was really disappoint in Lopez, i think that is his name, the one that was released from the sox last week, they find gems like Lowry.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
Great article. I think taking anyone but Fulmer at #8 would have been mistake for us and this article explains why. Dude has the stuff to be a top of the rotation starter and to be one very quickly. Would have hated to watch us pass on him, only to see the Cubs snag him at #9.

with that, i totally agree. this was the best selection at this slot.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Sox have been extremely lucky, but also props to the fo for doing what others wouldnt.

with re to last yr, i wouldn't say "wouldn't", i would say couldn't.

this is b/c of Hahn's doing.

Oswalt's name is going to be thrown out there a lot. Billy Wagner, from the LH side, comes to mind.

Lincecum. Octavio Dotel. Juan Cruz. Tom Gordon. Pedro Martinez.

Since there is no difference in this statistic for right-handed starting pitchers, the reason shorter pitchers throw fewer innings may be that they’re less durable or it may be that managers and baseball executives believe that shorter pitchers are less durable. Even if starting left-handed pitchers who are shorter are in fact less durable, the difference, while statistically significant, is still not that great.

The data speak for themselves. Baseball organizations have been scouting, signing, and developing players based on a fallacious assumption. Shorter pitchers are just as effective and durable as taller pitchers. If a player has the ability to get drafted, then he should be drafted in the round that fits his talent.

The opportunity for major-league clubs is currently at its greatest potential. Clubs that value short pitchers with talent have an opportunity similar to those of clubs that, a decade or more ago, valued on-base percentage at a time when many of their competitors did not.

http://sabr.org/research/does-pitcher-s-height-matter

Interesting article from 2010 about whether or not a starting pitcher's height matters.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Eh, they got Sale under similar circumstances. There were both major signability concerns (ala Rodon) and mechanic concerns (ala Fulmer) with Sale and Sox got that done, rather easilly really.

all that matters is results.

I still like Allard over Fulmer from a talent and upside view, but Fullmer is by no means a bad pick. He's going to need to simplify his delivery a lot to be a starter at the next level imo, but dominant bull pen arms are by no means something to be viewed lightly. Robertson, Fulmer, and Duke could make games real short in the near future