Nick Hostetler Promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Chicago White SoxVerified account

‏@whitesox

White Sox have promoted Nick Hostetler to director of amateur scouting and Doug Laumann to senior advisor to scouting operations.

This is a big move.

Why is it a big move?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
To me, it looks like they moved Laumann out of the position. Kept him in organization because this is what Jerry Reinsdorf does.

the alternative could be involved in the same process but with more wide-ranging responsibilities, promotion with more salary but still oversight of the same role. We saw something like that with Kenny.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
This move has been in the works for over a year. There should another promotion soon. Not sure if the article Y2Jimmy posted included this (my flight's wifi is terrible and can't load anything), but I have been told it's likely Kirk Champion, the field coordinator, who will also be getting a promotion.

If this has indeed been in the works for awhile I'm wrong...

But this SCREAMS that Hahn wasn't satisfied with the information he was provided by his scouting dept during the recent trade negotiations.

For what it's worth, I was tipped off about something along these lines a few months ago.

The person I heard from said Rick started to listen more and more to Hostetler at the expense of Laumann. The person that I was in touch with felt Laumann was actually better at his job than Hostetler.

We'll see how it work out. One thing is clear...over the last 15 years the Sox have had a number of people in charge of amateur scouting and minor league operations. In my opinion that's part of the reason the minor league system is in the shape its been in.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)
If this has indeed been in the works for awhile I'm wrong...

But this SCREAMS that Hahn wasn't satisfied with the information he was provided by his scouting dept during the recent trade negotiations.

ok you peaked my interest, now can you explain how ???

unless it is a assumption.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 08:27 PM)
For what it's worth, I was tipped off about something along these lines a few months ago.

The person I heard from said Rick started to listen more and more to Hostetler at the expense of Laumann. The person that I was in touch with felt Laumann was actually better at his job than Hostetler.

We'll see how it work out. One thing is clear...over the last 15 years the Sox have had a number of people in charge of amateur scouting and minor league operations. In my opinion that part of the reason the minor league system is in the shape its been in.

Mark

ok i just thought it was s KW people vs Hahn people.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)

We'll see how it work out. One thing is clear...over the last 15 years the Sox have had a number of people in charge of amateur scouting and minor league operations. In my opinion that part of the reason the minor league system is in the shape its been in.

Mark

It hasn't seem like it has been that many. Laumann was 9 of those years.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
God forbid they'd go out of house to find a replacement...

My thoughts exactly. We are craving for a new identity yet they keep promoting from within. This pretty much means nothing will change in regards to scouting and development. The scouting approach will most likely remain the same and the farm system will continue to lack depth year in and year out.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
My thoughts exactly. We are craving for a new identity yet they keep promoting from within. This pretty much means nothing will change in regards to scouting and development. The scouting approach will most likely remain the same and the farm system will continue to lack depth year in and year out.

What if Nick is actually a great choice for this job? We have no idea how good he actually is, screaming that we need to go outside the org for help without knowing a single thing about this guy or replacement options adds little to this board or this discussion.