Nick Hostetler Promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
It's a complete embarrassment.

On the other hand, if you are disloyal (a certain Bulls coach) or air dirty laundry in public through surrogates despite having an indisputable record of success (and without D Rose half that time), adios.

JR could barely part with Greg Walker, but it happened largely because he was connected to Ozzie or he might still be around. Of course, Ozzie used Joe Cowley as well as his kids to get back at KW and the organization.

Tim Raines is the one name that comes to mind of former Sox stars to be fired.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 05:16 PM)
Tim Raines is the one name that comes to mind of former Sox stars to be fired.

And Raines was fired by Ozzie. Kenny also tried to fire Ozzie but JR over ruled him (perhaps remembering his decision to let Hawk fire Tony LaRussa.)

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:04 AM)
And Raines was fired by Ozzie. Kenny also tried to fire Ozzie but JR over ruled him (perhaps remembering his decision to let Hawk fire Tony LaRussa.)

Mark

during that whole time, i was recovering from a illness, what was, not the official line, but reason for raines being fired???

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
For what it's worth, I was tipped off about something along these lines a few months ago.

The person I heard from said Rick started to listen more and more to Hostetler at the expense of Laumann. The person that I was in touch with felt Laumann was actually better at his job than Hostetler.

We'll see how it work out. One thing is clear...over the last 15 years the Sox have had a number of people in charge of amateur scouting and minor league operations. In my opinion that's part of the reason the minor league system is in the shape its been in.

Mark

Hostetler did a lot of press regarding the draft.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
God forbid they'd go out of house to find a replacement...

Teams rarely go outside the org to find a replacement.

And it sounds like Hostetler has a different philosophy than Laumann. He said he's a high ceiling guy and is 'intrigued' by high school players. Whereas Laumann liked high floor guys and leaned more towards college guys.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
....but the question is, why the internal move now???

All of the major showcases and all star games for prep players who will be eligible for the 2016 draft are happening right now. And the Cape should be in play already.

In other words, prep for 2016 draft is starting to take shape. So the timing if the announcement makes sense. If Laumann isn't going to be the guy going forward, why not announce the new guy as you start your draft prep.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:13 AM)

And it sounds like Hostetler has a different philosophy than Laumann. He said he's a high ceiling guy and is 'intrigued' by high school players. Whereas Laumann liked high floor guys and leaned more towards college guys.

There's only one problem with this...start drafting high schoolers in the first round and Sale/Abreu/Quintana/Eaton will all be long gone before they make it to the big leagues.

Rare is the hs player like an A-Rod or Harper who doesn't need at least 2-3 years in the minors, if not 4-5.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)

the main philosophy is between college vs hs. kids. i think there has to be a happy medium between the 2. however the sox like college in the 1 round, b/c that person will be closest to the majors.

i will admit high ceiling vs high floor, well, i guess i will need to really think out that difference in order to make any semblance of an informed answer.

let me asked this of those who can answer. to me, i always assumed that the sox picked, esp in the 1 round, prospects who were easy to sign and can make the majors quickly, as oppose to players who were more talented. was that how any saw it???

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:13 AM)

I don't have as much of a problem with them promoting Hostetler. My issue is that Laumann was rewarded for his sub-par performance with a promotion up, just like Kenny Williams.

White Sox Baseball: Loyalty without Accountability

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
What if Nick is actually a great choice for this job? We have no idea how good he actually is, screaming that we need to go outside the org for help without knowing a single thing about this guy or replacement options adds little to this board or this discussion.

+1

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
I don't have as much of a problem with them promoting Hostetler. My issue is that Laumann was rewarded for his sub-par performance with a promotion up, just like Kenny Williams.

I don't necessarily know that his was a "promotion up"

Hostetler may well have a breath of fresh air philosophy, but, it would be nice to see someone with experience in the way another successful org was run to provide that jolt rather than someone working in theory.

Who cares though? He's just going into a consulting role which I take as him being pushed aside.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 04:09 AM)
There's only one problem with this...start drafting high schoolers in the first round and Sale/Abreu/Quintana/Eaton will all be long gone before they make it to the big leagues.

Rare is the hs player like an A-Rod or Harper who doesn't need at least 2-3 years in the minors, if not 4-5.

I agree with this caulfield. The White Sox should have 3 of the top 60 or so picks. I could see them using all 3 on college bats. Honestly, I'd take the best players available regardless of position while manipulating my bonus pool to spend $$ later on. But taking 3 college bats, 2 in the 1st round and one in the 2nd, is something that I could honestly see the White Sox doing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:09 AM)

Or 6 like Trayce Thompson.

This from a recent article from SSS:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________

This may or may not surprise you, but Thompson is the first position player to make it from White Sox draft pick out of high school to the White Sox 25-man roster since ... Ryan Sweeney, who, like Thompson, was a second-round pick (in 2003). If you're wondering about the last high school draft pick to stick with the Sox, it's Joe Crede (fifth round, 1996).

Over the last decade, you don't even need one complete hand to count the number of high-school success stories -- even if you count players who eventually made it to the big leagues for other teams, which I think is fair since value is value. The only other position player to reach the majors was Chris Carter (15th round, 2005), who was sent to Arizona for Carlos Quentin before the 2008 season. The pitching side has a few more success stories:

That's it, partially because the Sox avoided prep players on somewhat of an alternate-year cycle, and the years besides 2009 haven't panned out. Nevin Griffith led the charge in 2007, and 2012 rests entirely on Courtney Hawkins and Jordan Guerrero after the other prep players have stagnated in the lower levels, if they even made it out of rookie ball.

The good news? The 2013 and 2014 drafts generated the Sox' most interesting prep prospects in years. The former brought Tyler Danish, Thaddius Lowry and Trey Michalczewski, while the 2014 draft yielded Spencer Adams.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

________-

So it seems that the Sox recent success with Trey ,Danish, Lowry and Adams from HS led to his promotion even though none has officially panned out .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 04:09 AM)

You always take the BPA no matter what, and he said that in the same interview.

Laumann didn't get a promotion. He was stripped of his job and the power that came with it, he's just there to be a source of guidance for Hostetler and nothing more.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 06:30 AM)
the main philosophy is between college vs hs. kids. i think there has to be a happy medium between the 2. however the sox like college in the 1 round, b/c that person will be closest to the majors.

i will admit high ceiling vs high floor, well, i guess i will need to really think out that difference in order to make any semblance of an informed answer.

let me asked this of those who can answer. to me, i always assumed that the sox picked, esp in the 1 round, prospects who were easy to sign and can make the majors quickly, as oppose to players who were more talented. was that how any saw it???

I would say that if if were 2011 but the new CBA changed that and since the 2012 draft the Sox have been taking BPA, line you should no matter what.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
Laumann didn't get a promotion. He was stripped of his job and the power that came with it, he's just there to be a source of guidance for Hostetler and nothing more.

A source of guidance on how to scout s***ty ballplayers? On how to find the next Gordon Beckham? Or is that Kenny's job?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
Or 6 like Trayce Thompson.

This from a recent article from SSS:

_________

This may or may not surprise you, but Thompson is the first position player to make it from White Sox draft pick out of high school to the White Sox 25-man roster since ... Ryan Sweeney, who, like Thompson, was a second-round pick (in 2003). If you're wondering about the last high school draft pick to stick with the Sox, it's Joe Crede (fifth round, 1996).

Over the last decade, you don't even need one complete hand to count the number of high-school success stories -- even if you count players who eventually made it to the big leagues for other teams, which I think is fair since value is value. The only other position player to reach the majors was Chris Carter (15th round, 2005), who was sent to Arizona for Carlos Quentin before the 2008 season. The pitching side has a few more success stories:

That's it, partially because the Sox avoided prep players on somewhat of an alternate-year cycle, and the years besides 2009 haven't panned out. Nevin Griffith led the charge in 2007, and 2012 rests entirely on Courtney Hawkins and Jordan Guerrero after the other prep players have stagnated in the lower levels, if they even made it out of rookie ball.

The good news? The 2013 and 2014 drafts generated the Sox' most interesting prep prospects in years. The former brought Tyler Danish, Thaddius Lowry and Trey Michalczewski, while the 2014 draft yielded Spencer Adams.

________-

So it seems that the Sox recent success with Trey ,Danish, Lowry and Adams from HS led to his promotion even though none has officially panned out .

nice find....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
A source of guidance on how to scout s***ty ballplayers? On how to find the next Gordon Beckham? Or is that Kenny's job?

He is only there as a source of information, Hostetler is in complete control of his department and his people. That means he doesn't have to take Laumann's advice, so chill out