ALDS: Astros vs. Royals Thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure which comeback was crazier.

Seemed the Royals were simply dead this year...last season, anything seemed possible the way they played the second half. Winning games like this can carry teams a long way like it did for that stretch until they ran into the Bumgarner buzzsaw in the World Series.

The Royals are just lucky. Doing it two years in a row...? Hmmm...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
I'm not sure how Houston will respond after blowing this game so badly. Either they are young and won't be able to flush this game out of their minds or they are young and this motivate them.

Well, the bad thing is, Houston started to go through pitchers, so whoever starts on Wed is going to have to go deep.

Apparently the governor of Texas sent out a premature (or someone in his office/staff) tweet and it ended up jinxing both the Astros and the Rangers at nearly the same time.

Oh, it's McHugh vs. Cueto, not Kazmir. Cueto pretty much refused to go on 3 day's rest Monday, so he has all the pressure on him to finally perform on the big stage, even though in many ways the pressure is all on the Astros to not choke away the series after coming so close to having it won in their home park.

Ten years since post-season baseball in Houston. I think we all vividly remember the last post-season play there...

A few comments. ...

• Down by four runs, the Royals were dead, I thought. KC fans on Twitter were all over Yost and Rios.

• I will give Rios credit. He got the first of the six singles (one was not a single but error at ss but it took a funny hop on the certain DP).

• Hosmer goes from s*** to stroking a key single then a huge HR for insurance? Pretty impressive.

• Royals overcome the weird call at 3B on Gore? Impressive.

I will say this. The Royals' comeback proves most fans complaints are just people blabbering at the mouth. All the Royals critics when the team was down four runs. One guy wrote Ned should be fired for not having a sense of urgency the last month. One guy was incensed that Ned was playing Rios. Many were mad at Rios. Some were furious about the Cueto trade, saying thanks Dayton, Cueto did nothing and now the Royals are out several young players.

Blah blah blah ... it's like Al Davis said, "Just Win Baby." And when Roy Williams was at kansas he said: "The best/only way to shut everybody up is to win. Win and people have to shut their frickin mouths."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:53 PM)
A few comments. ...

• Down by four runs, the Royals were dead, I thought. KC fans on Twitter were all over Yost and Rios.

• I will give Rios credit. He got the first of the six singles (one was not a single but error at ss but it took a funny hop on the certain DP).

• Hosmer goes from s*** to stroking a key single then a huge HR for insurance? Pretty impressive.

I will say this. The Royals' comeback proves most fans complaints are just people blabbering at the mouth. All the Royals critics when the team was down four runs. One guy wrote Ned should be fired for not having a sense of urgency the last month. One guy was incensed that Ned was playing Rios. Many were mad at Rios. Some were furious about the Cueto trade, saying thanks Dayton, Cueto did nothing and now the Royals are out several young players.

Blah blah blah ... it's like Al Davis said, "Just Win Baby." And when Roy Williams was at kansas he said: "The best/only way to shut everybody up is to win. Win and people have to shut their frickin mouths."

Who else should they play? Gomes? Dyson? Paolo Orlando? Certainly not Gore, he's less of a hitter than Dyson even.

It's hard to have a sense of urgency when you clinch early....look at the Dodgers, the Pirates, the Cardinals, etc. the fact is every team that wins in the playoffs gets a huge break or two. The White Sox must have had 5-6 in 2005, probably more.

The Royals still have Zimmer, Almonte, Mondesi, Ashe Russell and Bubba Starling finally started to live up to his high billing as well. It's not like trading Odorizzi, W. Myers and Montgomery killed them. They'll have plenty of money coming off the books from Gordon and Guthrie's deal, although they're likely to pick up Medlen's $10 million 2016 option.

And Roy Williams never won a title at KU.

As far as the Cueto trade, and Zobrist, the A's made the exact same types of moves last season...and the best player that they traded away, Addison Russell, is going to be an everyday SS for a decade.

It's hard to complain when they have the best overall combined record in the AL over the last three years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
A few comments. ...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 01:45 AM)
Hey I texted my obsessed Royals friend today when Hosmer weakly tapped out with runners on first and second and two out in the sixth and KC down 1-0. I said, "I'm sad for you, but that's probably the game."

The magic isn't there this year. Call it the "curse of Rios." KC doesn't have "it" this year. the bullpen isn't as good with Holland gonzo. Moose and Hosmer are hitting like .100 and .200 for the playoff series so far.

Cain crushed that home run to go up 1-0 and I thought KC just needs to get through this series playing poorly and maybe ultimately find themselves again. They are all outta sorts.

I'll tell you one thing. BET THE HOUSE. Ventura will be awful today. He's not gonna suddenly turn into an Ace Ventura and mow down Houston. That's not in the cards, at least this season.

Poor KC. They needed to pull an Ozzie last year when they had a chance and win it all in their one trip to the WS like we did.

The magic is gone in KC. Rios was an awful addition; they should be playing one of their speedsters in right. Gordon should be leading off. LOL at Ned and the Royals. They.Are.Done.

:ph34r:

Well, after the WC game last year....not unlike the White Sox the final week of 2005....they just put it into cruise control.

The situation here with a do or die game following the high of yesterday is a bit different. Cueto wasn't very good for the Royals, and Ventura has been off this year compared to last postseason when he was the rock of the rotation as Shields faltered. Madson isn't Davis in the 8th, either. Duffy's not even assured of being the 4th starter in a seven game series.

It's easy to say the Royals have everything in their favor, but a loss wouldn't be shocking either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
Well, after the WC game last year....not unlike the White Sox the final week of 2005....they just put it into cruise control.

The situation here with a do or die game following the high of yesterday is a bit different. Cueto wasn't very good for the Royals, and Ventura has been off this year compared to last postseason when he was the rock of the rotation as Shields faltered. Madson isn't Davis in the 8th, either. Duffy's not even assured of being the 4th starter in a seven game series.

It's easy to say the Royals have everything in their favor, but a loss wouldn't be shocking either.

Yogi or Hawk once said, "Momentum is the next game's starting pitcher." Cueto blows (but will make 20 mill a year for 5-6 years like Shark, lol at baseball owners) so get your money back and bet heavily on the Stros.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Yogi or Hawk once said, "Momentum is the next game's starting pitcher." Cueto blows (but will make 20 mill a year for 5-6 years like Shark, lol at baseball owners) so get your money back and bet heavily on the Stros.

Im pretty sure I would be taking the safer bet and not putting myself in a further hole.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 13, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)

Earl-Weaver-screaming.jpg