2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
Chargers officially move to LA. I can't imagine that ends well unless they win a lot of games right away. LA barely wants one team, let alone two.

They're temporarily moving to a tiny 30,000 seat stadium.

That can't end well financially.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)

They have had the lowest attendance in the league in recent years and by far the lowest as a % of their stadium capacity. I can see why they thought it was worth the risk. People just didn't go to games in san diego.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
They have had the lowest attendance in the league in recent years and by far the lowest as a % of their stadium capacity. I can see why they thought it was worth the risk. People just didn't go to games in san diego.

The value of the franchise will definitely increase, and I'm sure that's all the owner cares about. But they aren't even getting their own stadium, they are still gonna be renting from the Rams. It doesn't seem like a 2-team town, and I imagine most past allegiances are with the Rams.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
I wonder if Phillip Rivers retires now. He said before, LA is no place to raise his kids. He detests LA.

As far as the Chargers, if they're good, LA fans will show up. It's funny though, the two teams LA didn't want, they got. While Vegas might get the team they didn't want.

They could probably trade him. Denver or Houston would probably run to the phone to make that deal.

Shame the Chargers can't get more fans. They've been a pretty decent team over the years.

The Chargers are timing it right, given how bad the Rams are. Whomever can get good fastest has the best shot at actually getting the fan base, imo. I also don't expect that a ton of Charger fans just stop following so I think the Chargers probably still will hold a good size fan base, especially in the orange county and riverside markets (south of LA)...plus the San Diego market.

There are plenty of Charger fans, but can you really blame them for having attendance issues when no one knows where they are going to play the following year (this issue has been on-going for a while now).

I am going to presume Rivers will use "retirement" talk to force a trade (possibly to Denver).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Cowboys aren't gonna get much for him. Teams know they have to move him and with that contract plus his age and injury history.

3rd or 4th round pick.

They won't even get that IMO with his contract. I bet they mutually agree on him giving up guaranteed $$ and they cut him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Rivers traded to Denver for 2nd round pick.

Romo traded to Chargers for 2nd round pick.

Seems fair, unless the Chargers want to get younger.

Can't imagine the Chargers trading Rivers within the division without getting a giant premium.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
Rams hand over struggling franchise to a 30-year-old

http://nypost.com/2017/01/12/rams-hand-ove...-a-30-year-old/

He supposedly nailed both the Niners and Rams interview. He gets a lot of credit for Cousins and is supposedly really really bright. Only question is whether he has enough experience yet to handle the big thing or not. Seems like a decent type of guy to have groom Goff. Risky, sure, but if he can get some experienced assistants and isn't overly arrogant it could end out working out brilliantly.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)

When is the last time a NFL team played in such a small stadium? How big was the Milwaukee County Stadium the Packers played in sometimes in the 90s?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
When is the last time a NFL team played in such a small stadium? How big was the Milwaukee County Stadium the Packers played in sometimes in the 90s?

i worked for the Packers in the 80's when they played there. It was a pretty interesting conversion from baseball to football. I would bet it was around 50,000.