2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
They no doubt have better talent right now, but the Bears can get it better, right? The Bears were fairly successful in brand new systems on offense and defense, especially defense where they might not of had the right personal.

Sure they can get better, but so can Vikings and Packers. It's not like those two teams are aging teams, both very young as well.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Sure they can get better, but so can Vikings and Packers. It's not like those two teams are aging teams, both very young as well.

Of those 3 teams the one thats most likely to improve would be the Bears considering they were the worst of the 3 and have the better draft position and more cash for FA. Im pretty sure you dont have to tell everyone that the Vikings and Packers could get better.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
Not sure whether or not you intended this, but it seems like quite a slam on Detroit.

They finished well last year, but I can't ever tell with that team. Losing Johnson would be huge. I put them in the same boat as the Bears. Probably some improvement, but still behind Vikings/Packers.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
Teams spending tons of money in free agency doesn't always translate to getting better. Most of the time it's the opposite.

We understand the Packers build from the draft. You dont seem to understand that a team cannot just snap its fingers and start doing the same thing, and the Bears need to plug holes. They also, fortunately have 9 picks this draft, so they can start getting younger asap.

Probably not. Let's just name an off season winner and crown them.

Last year the Jaguars signed a bunch of the big name free agents. They win on to win the Super Bowl, they beat the Eagles, the other team to sign a ton of free agents.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)

Last year the Jaguars signed a bunch of the big name free agents. They win on to win the Super Bowl, they beat the Eagles, the other team to sign a ton of free agents.

I trust Pace and Fox over the Jags front office and Chip Kelly

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)

I thought the Broncos won the Super Bowl. You know the team where at least 12 of their starters were signed as free agents.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
We understand the Packers build from the draft. You dont seem to understand that a team cannot just snap its fingers and start doing the same thing, and the Bears need to plug holes. They also, fortunately have 9 picks this draft, so they can start getting younger asap.

I have plenty of problems with the Packers totally ignoring free agency. I think that's a problem they have right now.

It's not just them that build through the draft though. Most of the better teams the past ten years have drafted well and avoided spending big money in free agency, but it seems like every off season the teams that sign the most free agents and spend the most money on big name players are said to have done really well and are "improving". They are usually picked to make the playoffs or be much better then the year before. Then they finish 6-10 or 5-11 and rinse and repeat.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I thought the Broncos won the Super Bowl. You know the team where at least 12 of their starters were signed as free agents.

They are the anomaly. They had pretty good success with free agency, but 99% of the teams that do fail pretty badly.

Broncos also drafted very well the past few years. Von Miller, Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, CJ Anderson.

In fact when you look at it, most of their impact players were draft picks.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
They are the anomaly. They had pretty good success with free agency, but 99% of the teams that do fail pretty badly.

Broncos also drafted very well the past few years. Von Miller, Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, CJ Anderson.

In fact when you look at it, most of their impact players were draft picks.

DeMarcus Ware

Aqib Talib

Emmanuel Sanders

T.J. Ward

Louis Vasquez

All those guys were offseason free-agent signings, that's some major impact there. That doesn't include the big money spent on a free agent QB too. (Who obviously sucked this year)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
DeMarcus Ware

Aqib Talib

Emmanuel Sanders

T.J. Ward

Louis Vasquez

All those guys were offseason free-agent signings, that's some major impact there. That doesn't include the big money spent on a free agent QB too. (Who obviously sucked this year)

Ware, Talib and Sanders were really nice signings. Ward and Vasquez have been ok.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
I have plenty of problems with the Packers totally ignoring free agency. I think that's a problem they have right now.

It's not just them that build through the draft though. Most of the better teams the past ten years have drafted well and avoided spending big money in free agency, but it seems like every off season the teams that sign the most free agents and spend the most money on big name players are said to have done really well and are "improving". They are usually picked to make the playoffs or be much better then the year before. Then they finish 6-10 or 5-11 and rinse and repeat.

The bears havent won free agency or spent the most money yet, and you are already criticizing it as if they did. Lets just wait before you can declare this rinse and repeat, especially since they didnt do that last season

There are some pretty good damn teams on that list that signed the most Free agents last year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000048...tfewest-players

Yeah the Packers who can do no wrong in their strategy of never signing Free agents have done well but it isnt the be all end all strategy. Some people have put it out there as being the best way of going about team building but I think there are a number of different ways and it changes from year to year of what that given team should be doing to put out the best product.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)

Really 10 picks because you might as well count White as a rookie.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
There are some pretty good damn teams on that list that signed the most Free agents last year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000048...tfewest-players

Yeah the Packers who can do wrong in their strategy of never signing Free agents have done well but it isnt the be all end all strategy. Some people have put it out there as being the best way of going about team building but I think there are a number of different ways and it changes from year to year of what that given team should be doing to put out the best product.

That list can be deceiving though. It counts players resigned from the team they were already on.

It shows the Packers with 8 signings. I don't think the Packers have signed 8 free agents from another team in the past 10 years combined.

Edited by GoSox05

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 44m44 minutes ago

Aaron Leming Retweeted Chris Emma

Would not fully rule out a 1st round QB if Carson Wentz drops to 11 (not likely). Been told they love him. #Bears

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 28m28 minutes ago

Keep in mind that even if the #Bears drafted high on a QB like Wentz, it doesn't mean they want him starting day 1. Cutler still the guy.

Chris Emma

‏@CEmma670

QB Dak Prescott met with the Bears brass at the Senior Bowl. Another talented prospect on Ryan Pace's radar at the Combine.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 44m44 minutes ago

Aaron Leming Retweeted Chris Emma

Would not fully rule out a 1st round QB if Carson Wentz drops to 11 (not likely). Been told they love him. #Bears

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 28m28 minutes ago

Keep in mind that even if the #Bears drafted high on a QB like Wentz, it doesn't mean they want him starting day 1. Cutler still the guy.

Chris Emma

‏@CEmma670

QB Dak Prescott met with the Bears brass at the Senior Bowl. Another talented prospect on Ryan Pace's radar at the Combine.

Love to see that they appear to be looking to draft a qb this draft. I wasnt sure they would make that a focus.

Paging Ptact....

Jaylon Smith is already walking, but is wearing something called a AFO. A guy on Twitter who may or may not have 17+ years as an NFL phycisian says that would indicate nerve damage. Earlier reports said there was no nerve damage. What gives? Does the AFO 100% indicate nerve damage, or could it just be part of the rehab?

I was just starting to think the Bears should take a chance on him in the first, but this would knock me back out of that consideration.