White Sox considering OFs Bruce, CarGo

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
Dan Hayes was on CSN, and while he didn't commit to agree with Levine, he did say he knew as a "fact" the Sox have been after CarGo all offseason but the price has been sky high.

Wasn't it posted here a while ago that the Rockies wanted Q but the Sox said no or something along those lines? I don't doubt that they've had interest in the offseason but that doesn't exactly mean they are trying now.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
Wasn't it posted here a while ago that the Rockies wanted Q but the Sox said no or something along those lines? I don't doubt that they've had interest in the offseason but that doesn't exactly mean they are trying now.

Yes, Q was rumored to be the asking price for CarGo. IIRC, the rumor died pretty quick after the Rockies asking price was reported.

Edited by BlackSox13

I wish there was a way to know the actual asking prices of players in a situation like this.

I have to think that the Rockies GM is more intelligent than asking for Q, whom we require for this season to be competitive if we were to trade for Gonzo.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
per RotoWorld...

"Bruce Levine of WSCR-AM reports that the White Sox "may now be focused on" Carlos Gonzalez and Jay Bruce in their pursuit of left-handed power.

The report adds that CarGo's contract and the Rockies' asking price "is the holdup right now" and that Bruce "might be more practical." Levine was told by one general manager who had talks with the Rockies about Gonzalez that they asked for "my top two minor league players, a major league player and to absorb most of the contract." Bruce, meanwhile, was nearly dealt to the Blue Jays last week in a three-team trade before the deal fell apart because of a physical issue involving a prospect. He would come significantly cheaper than CarGo, but of course isn't nearly as good of a player."

not sure how true this is, thought i would share.

So, besides the asking price for Gonzalez and the amount of money he makes, the White Sox are focused on him.

This reads like the definition of a non-story.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
Yes, Q was rumored to be the asking price for CarGo. IIRC, the rumor died pretty quick after the Rockies asking price was reported.

I can see trading Q for Cargo if Rox give up a couple of their top prospects, and they have some good ones.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 06:41 PM)
Levine uses inexplicably bad grammar to hide the fact that all his articles are personal speculations disguised as reported rumors. He's actually a master of the written word, but he chooses to use his gift for evil.

Yup. I mean, the White Sox may be interested in considering trading for OF Mike Trout. Boom, that's a headline.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm not a Levine follower but he called Lawrie to the Sox before anybody and he said we weren't even looking at Desmond which as it turns out was probably true. Thank god he was right because who wants 25 errors and 180 strikeouts from your shortstop. And what is all this Austin Jackson love. I wouldn't Touch him for any price. Go big with Cargo or Reddick or go home IMO.

Cargo or Reddick would cost the farm. Cargo can't hit lefties and can't stay on the field. Jackson would greatly improve the outfield defense and only costs money.

Adding CarGo would give the Sox an interesting if not very balanced look to the lineup. Consider:

Eaton L

Cabrera S

Abreu R

CarGo L

Frazier R

LaRoche L

Lawrie R

Catchers L/R

Rollins S

Mix in a right-handed compliment to keep LaRoche as far away from LH pitching as possible, and on paper, this looks ok. But success would really be predicated on comebacks by LaRoche, Cabrera, and Rollins. Without that, things will be tough.

Not new news here at all. Plus I don't see the benefit for the White Sox to give up their top minor league prospects, who are close to contributing at the major league level, for hig priced players with maybe one year or so of control.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
CarGo stuff is bull. Sox interest in Bruce isn't that high. They are working on something though.

I wish we had any idea what they are working on if it isn't either of those guys.