Can Someone Honestly Tell Me ONE Thing That Ventura Does Well?

SoCalSox

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2016 -> 02:08 AM)
How did Hawk handle that ninth inning? I had to watch it on TV here cause no mlb.com. I GUARANTEE damn tee you Hawk knows Robin deserves to be fired after all the bizarre things that have happened during his reign. Sure it's not all his fault; when we were 23-10 I thought he would be our manager the next 20 years, but he's a buffoon.

No harm in not being able to manage. Problem is I don't want Buddy Bell and all of you people answer this question ... Do you want Buddy f***ing Bell to be in the dugout next week? If not, then we have to shut up and support Robin. No way Coop or any of the other guys in the dugout will be promoted. It's Bell the rest of the year. Then what if we play .520 ball somehow with him at the helm?? He gets a 3 year f***ing deal.

He handled it fine, honestly. There was nothing questionable about the 9th, it just happened and Hawk could only watch.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 29, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
He handled it fine, honestly. There was nothing questionable about the 9th, it just happened and Hawk could only watch.

Nothing questionable about the 9th? How about letting Robertson give up five runs and putting the tying run on 2nd before pulling him? How about after finally pulling him, then putting in a rookie into an extremely high leverage situation? How about walking the bases loaded (a day after failing to do so with their best hitter) with a pitcher on the mound having significant control problems? You can't only blame the players when the win expectancy after that first out was 99.9%.

The way Robin managed the 9th it was like he was trying to lose. Why would you walk the bases loaded with a just called up minor league pitcher who has control problems. Especially after his ridiculous excuse for pitching to Hosmer the day before.

The odds of losing that game with a six run lead into the 9th inning was 1 in 562...in other words, we could have that same exact scenario with Sox closers in a game and it would happen about once every 15 years or so, roughly.

That's without even taking considering the first out being recorded.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
The odds of losing that game with a six run lead into the 9th inning was 1 in 562...in other words, we could have that same exact scenario with Sox closers in a game and it would happen about once every 15 years or so, roughly.

That's without even taking considering the first out being recorded.

The win expectancy was 99.9% after we got that first out.

As for the "good in the clubhouse" stuff, we'll find out today.

A team shakes off a loss like that if they have a good clubhouse leader. Sale is pitching today....shouldn't be any problem.

Being good in the clubhouse does not mean running a summer holiday camp where everyone is happy and lazy because there is no accountability.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)

A team shakes off a loss like that if they have a good clubhouse leader. Sale is pitching today....shouldn't be any problem.

Being good in the clubhouse does not mean running a summer holiday camp where everyone is happy and lazy because there is no accountability.

While I agree with your underlying point, I'm not sure any team can just shake off a loss like yesterday's. The team needs to string together a few wins to truly to get rid of the bad taste yesterday's loss has certainly left in everyone's mouths. A win today would obviously help though and you can't ask for more than Sale on the mound.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
While I agree with your underlying point, I'm not sure any team can just shake off a loss like yesterday's. The team needs to string together a few wins to truly to get rid of the bad taste yesterday's loss has certainly left in everyone's mouths. A win today would obviously help though and you can't ask for more than Sale on the mound.

You're right...but I wonder if they ever shook off the Texas meltdown. That's when this all began.

Yesterday's was monumental...happens once a decade. The Texas-type meltdown happens fairly regularly.

For sure, the team hasn't been the same since game 2 in Texas.

I remember Ozzie's FIRST game as manager....opening game in 2004. KC scored 6 in the bottom of the 9th to beat us. Ozzie publicly put it all on his back....blamed himself for putting Marte (who got no one out) in a bad position.

Sox won game 2.

I thought that Ozzie's plus skill early on WAS the clubhouse. But not in the happy summer camp sense.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 29, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
You're right...but I wonder if they ever shook off the Texas meltdown. That's when this all began.

Yesterday's was monumental...happens once a decade. The Texas-type meltdown happens fairly regularly.

For sure, the team hasn't been the same since game 2 in Texas.

I remember Ozzie's FIRST game as manager....opening game in 2004. KC scored 6 in the bottom of the 9th to beat us. Ozzie publicly put it all on his back....blamed himself for putting Marte (who got no one out) in a bad position.

Sox won game 2.

I thought that Ozzie's plus skill early on WAS the clubhouse. But not in the happy summer camp sense.

I think you're right about the Texas game. The team has really been pressing ever since. And quite frankly, it's a big reason why I think Robin has to go. I think Robin is a great person and he'll always be one of my favorite players, but his leadership style doesn't appear to be effective right now. Time for a change and no doubt Rick Renteria deserves first crack.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 29, 2016 -> 06:37 AM)

Shakes off a loss like that?

They've had two straight weeks of losses like that and haven't shaken off s***.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
Shakes off a loss like that?

They've had two straight weeks of losses like that and haven't shaken off s***.

I don't know how you shake it off, other than this is about the 3rd or 4th meltdown in the last 3 weeks so perhaps they have been numbed to the effects, and have only one way to go after hitting rock bottom..

I know I have...when the Sox blow, say, a 2 run lead in the 9th I usually feel sick to my stomach. Not yesterday...used to it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Does anyone expect the White Sox to pick the right manager when Ventura is eventually gone after this year? Look at the clusterf*** that is the Chicago Bulls and Fred Hoiberg.

I think our best hope is Ventura gets fired mid-season and the team magically rebounds under Renteria. Otherwise, I feel we will get another cheap, inexperienced hire who in all likelihood has a connection to the organization.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 29, 2016 -> 07:35 AM)
Nothing questionable about the 9th? How about letting Robertson give up five runs and putting the tying run on 2nd before pulling him? How about after finally pulling him, then putting in a rookie into an extremely high leverage situation? How about walking the bases loaded (a day after failing to do so with their best hitter) with a pitcher on the mound having significant control problems? You can't only blame the players when the win expectancy after that first out was 99.9%.

Like, there wasn't some bad call from an umpire. You know, the usual stuff that upsets Hawk. Just say you don't understand.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 29, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Does anyone expect the White Sox to pick the right manager when Ventura is eventually gone after this year? Look at the clusterf*** that is the Chicago Bulls and Fred Hoiberg.

Or since that move backfired, maybe Jerry will fire the GM not the manager this time around.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 29, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Levine on the Score now, defending Ventura. Typical Cubs fan media guy that just thinks about his his own comfort as a media guy. Easy guy to deal with...good manager. Chicago sports media is garbage.

Always has been, always will be. Phil Rogers, Levine, Jeff Dickerson, Dan Roan, etc. The list goes on.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 29, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Cooper gets too much of a pass. A lot of input into strategic and player personnel decisions. An org guy (i.e. Williams guy), not a RV guy

Thornton was a decade ago.

it was always dumb to name hahn gm and not have him bring in his own guys. Even the mariners figured that one out.

This isn't a bad team. This is a solid team that is mostly poorly managed both tactical and leadership wise.

Edited by chitownsportsfan