2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 06:48 AM)
For sure. Regardless, their next moves should be dumping Dunleavy and Taj though. I'm not a huge Jimmy Butler guy but he is a top 20 player in the league. Maybe even better. The Bulls need a ton to move him. If Boston gave me #3, and another 1st this year with Brooklyn's 2017 pick and Jae Crowder + filler I'd do that. The Bulls can't move him for #3, Crowder and Bradley or a TWolves package without Wiggins though. It's just not enough value.

Honestly, I don't know hat they are going to move Dunleavy & Taj though.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
Tim Floyd hired from Iowa State to be Bulls coach in 1998 after the Bulls title run. Phil left causing MJ to retire, Bulls trade Pippen, don't sign Rodman. What happens?

1998 - lockout year the Bulls go 13-37. The low point of the season came on April 10 in a game against the Miami Heat. In that game, the Bulls scored 49 points to set an NBA record for the fewest points in a game in the shot clock era.

1999 - Bulls draft Elton Brand and go 17-65. That summer the Bulls don't get Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill, Eddie Jones, or Tim Thomas. They do get E-Rob and Brad Miller though. Haha. They draft Marcus Fizer and Jamal Crawford

2000 - they finish at a then all-time worst of 15-67. Krause shocked the world and traded Brand for the 2nd pick to start the Chandler/Curry era. Floyd was fired . . .

2001 - Bulls finish 21-61 tied for last in the league.

This feels like deja vu all over. Another Bulls regime ruins a nice string of playoff runs by firing one of the leagues best coaches and replacing him with a s***ty coach from Iowa State.

2015/2016 - they finish 40-42 and miss the playoffs. D Rose is traded for s*** when letting walk would be more valuable and they likely will trade Butler next.

2016-2017 - they will be a laughing stock and bound for a top 3 pick if we are lucky. They will fire Floyd er I mean Hoiberg either this summer or the following year when they realize he is s*** and are tired of answering questions about him.

2017-2018 - they will be s*** again

The only difference is this time I have less confidence in their ability to turn it around so I think the pain could be here for some time.

So in two years we get rid of a great coach who made the playoffs every year, trade Deng for nothing, sign Gasol and lose him for nothing, lose Noah for nothing, trade Rose for pretty much nothing and send a 2nd Rd pick in the deal, and possibly will trade Jimmy below value next.

Potential starting lineup:

- PG - Calderon/Grant

- SG - Dunleavy (possibly starting at 36 years old)

- SF - Jimmy (or worse -possible they clear Jimmy to start McBuckets)

PF - Nikola

- C - Lopez

Yeah that's not a rebuild. For sure a retool. We could have a starting backcourt that's 35 and 36 years old.

What's more... Bulls have no shot at a top free agent especially in today's exploding cap environment. That's what makes me have even less hope during this rebuild especially when management is calling it a retool and not a rebuild. They are sending picks out instead of compiling picks. For what? I'm gonna pull my hair out. Unless Conley or Rondo are willing to sign a 1yr for close to $16M when they can get max money elsewhere we should be in full rebuild mode not retool mode. The only thing that should be retooled is the management/coaching staff.

I hate you, GarPax. So much.

This seems very premature without knowing what they get in the draft/free agency. And I'm not sure why you don't think they'll be successful in free agency. They have 23-24 million to play with. And none of the true superstars are leaving their respective teams anyway.

Thus far, just about all the pundits/experts think the Bulls did a great job. They cleared the Butler/Rose log jam and they actually got decent pieces for Rose. The more I read, the more I think the Bulls did really, really well.

That's not to say you aren't right, that their ceiling hasn't changed. But i'm fine giving Butler the keys. I want to see what he can do as the focal point. He showed great flashes last year. Can he do that consistently is the question.

I think we are going to see them go after a Rondo or Conley type player and look more for longer term, but to be frank, I think they are still figuring that out. Noah is probably on the way out, although it is definitely plausible that Pau and a Rondo are both brought in on 1 year deals (which wouldn't be awful as the team would theoretically be better, while still be in a position that a year from now they have cap space). I'm guessing the PG position plus having Robin Lopez instead of Noah will be the primary moves (don't know if Pau would actually come back for that) but having his buddy as a backup PG might help. Conley would be really nice, but I don't know if it makes sense to go longer term and that is what I think it will take to get Conley (who is a big upgrade over Rose, but, at the same time, is coming off some injuries himself and is getting older.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
Honestly, I don't know hat they are going to move Dunleavy & Taj though.

I know. Taj is up at season's end and they talked about getting more athletic players that fit Hoiberg yesterday.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
I know. Taj is up at season's end and they talked about getting more athletic players that fit Hoiberg yesterday.

I think they might take a one year plan and go a lot of one year guys and thus have a ton of flexibility a year from now (outside of Lopez who they added). Might be wrong, but I also don't think the Bulls have fully defined that plan.

The Bulls are going to be on the same course as the Sox I would bet. Jerry knows he has limited time left to enjoy his teams. Lets face it, he is really old and he is well aware of the facts of life. They are going to try to be competitive and hope to have a lot of things go their way so Jerry can get a couple final thrills. They arent going to rebuild from the ground up with the Bulls just as they didnt with the Sox.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
Anyone think the Bulls go after Howard?

I'd just keep Robin Lopez. I know Dwight had a limited role on the offense last year in Houston, but I honestly don't think he's the same guy.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
I'd just keep Robin Lopez. I know Dwight had a limited role on the offense last year in Houston, but I honestly don't think he's the same guy.

Yeah but how much of that is because Harden wouldn't pass him the ball? I actually think he makes sense for the Bulls if it's not a max contract and if Dwight agrees that he's only getting 10-12 shots a game (and he's happy with that). His focus will be rebounding, defense and passing the ball out to shooters.

The problem is he's a walking bag of drama. Not sure I want to watch that unfold over the course of several seasons.

I've been reading Jonathan Abrams book called "Boys Among Men". It's about the generation of HS players entering the NBA. It's excellent. It details from Moses Malone all the way through Dwight Howard. I was 12 years old in 1997. The book details an interesting scenario that I need help with. Abrams' talks about Jerry Krause's infatuation with Tracy McGrady. Thought he was a young Pippen. Jordan and Phil didn't have contracts after the 5th title and Krause had a deal with Boston to trade Pippen for the #3 and #6 picks to take McGrady. Jordan told Krause that he would retire if the team traded Scottie and Phil wouldn't return. Obviously, the Bulls chose to bring the band back together and win a 6th title. Nobody would trade in that 6th title but it would have been interesting to see how different the next 20 years would have been with a head start to the rebuild compared to what they actually did. I knew that the team was almost broken up but was the McGrady stuff public knowledge at the time and like a known fact?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Yeah but how much of that is because Harden wouldn't pass him the ball? I actually think he makes sense for the Bulls if it's not a max contract and if Dwight agrees that he's only getting 10-12 shots a game (and he's happy with that). His focus will be rebounding, defense and passing the ball out to shooters.

The problem is he's a walking bag of drama. Not sure I want to watch that unfold over the course of several seasons.

The only problem is that I see him getting the max from someone.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Please no Rondo unless your goal is to stealth-tank. He's always had huge flaws, now he doesn't even pretend to play defense and just tries to pad his assist totals.

Rondo was pretty awesome again last year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
Rondo was pretty awesome again last year.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying awesome, but he was a much better player and looked a lot healthier than he had previously. You know his limitations (offensively) but he is an excellent passer and I thought his defense improved again this pats year (I might be wrong and clearly he had a stretch where he was a pretty good defender and than post injury he had some issues but he is getting healthier). I really don't think Rondo would be that bad of a fit (especially if you could get him shorter term). You do wonder the chemistry side of the equation but Sacramento was so dysfunctional.

Jimmy Buckets will be playing in the olympics. Could be a good opportunity for him to start recruiting other potential FA's / showcasing the type of teammate he can be (so hopefully he is on his best behavior). I hate the extra minutes he's going to play, but I also view it as a really good learning experience for him to be around some of the best in the NBA.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
So Woj is reporting that the Hornets will trade #22 if someone takes Jeremy Lamb's contract 3/21. Is this something the Bulls should consider in order to get another 1st rounder?

Do the Bulls have the cap room to take on almost $10 million?