Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

A Cuban 1b/ DH has defected and may be an unrestricted free agent this year. Jose Dariel Abreu supposedly would be in line for the highest contract given to a Cuban Free agent.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/jose...-from-cuba.html

The Sox would have to be one of the main teams going after him. With the need, the money, the fellow countrymen, the city. His signing would fill a key hole. Would the Sox "overpay" for him? The sox have put themselves in the position to get him very nicely. For who else is on the free agent market, I'd say the risk would be well worth it. Esp. as the sox have 1b and DH open for him, with Dunn leaving after 2014.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they somehow get rid of Dunn and Danks, they will have a whopping $18M committed to 2014 (not counting arbitration, rookie deals, or extensions). I'd talk to Alexei and Dayan and see what they think about Abreu and try to use them in a sales pitch.

The Sox need a marketable bat and a 1B, so it seems like it'd be a perfect fit.

Just how much money do you risk on it if you're the Sox? Higher than Puig? Is it worth the risk?

If our scouts believe this guy is for real, I don't see any reason why Hahn wouldn't go all out for him. We need impact bats, we have a giant hole at 1B, and you're not going to find 26-27 year old free agents anytime soon. Plus we have Viciedo and possibly Ramirez that can sell him on playing for the White Sox.

Honestly, unless the price is ridiculous, I hope we make a strong play for this guy.

Wasn't Jose Abreu the guy who was supposed to make Puig look like crap? Cuba was supposed to have one legendary ballplayer left and I think that was his name.

What are the rules here, how would we have to do this? Does he fall under the international signing caps? Do we basically get "him and no other international signings for 2 years" if we offer him big money?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
Wasn't Jose Abreu the guy who was supposed to make Puig look like crap? Cuba was supposed to have one legendary ballplayer left and I think that was his name.

What are the rules here, how would we have to do this? Does he fall under the international signing caps? Do we basically get "him and no other international signings for 2 years" if we offer him big money?

He's older than 23, so there would be no restrictions. This is the guy that has all of the Cuban homerun records and stuff. Got a lot of press when Cespedes defected because every time someone wanted to make a claim about Cespedes' monster numbers, it was alwways "and he has the most xxxxxxx of any player in Cuba (except Abreu)!!!"

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
He's older than 23, so there would be no restrictions. This is the guy that has all of the Cuban homerun records and stuff. Got a lot of press when Cespedes defected because every time someone wanted to make a claim about Cespedes' monster numbers, it was alwways "and he has the most xxxxxxx of any player in Cuba (except Abreu)!!!"

And he plays 1b? And is still in his prime years?

Ok, yeah, I'm in for 7/$60 and you can put me down as switching from the "Sign Morales" camp to the "Sign Abreu" camp.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 06:06 AM)
A Cuban 1b/ DH has defected and may be an unrestricted free agent this year. Jose Dariel Abreu supposedly would be in line for the highest contract given to a Cuban Free agent.

The Sox would have to be one of the main teams going after him. With the need, the money, the fellow countrymen, the city. His signing would fill a key hole. Would the Sox "overpay" for him? The sox have put themselves in the position to get him very nicely. For who else is on the free agent market, I'd say the risk would be well worth it. Esp. as the sox have 1b and DH open for him, with Dunn leaving after 2014.

http://bit.ly/11Y7Pbw

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 06:12 AM)
Their will be a big bidding war on Abreu. Going have to throw $50+ million to be in this game. I don't see the Sox organization playing ball when it comes to that kind of money with the unknown.

We were in it until the end for Soler apparently. And that was before we shed 27 million dollars towards our 2014 payroll.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
We were in it until the end for Soler apparently. And that was before we shed 27 million dollars towards our 2014 payroll.

This really does have the White Sox written all over it. He even literally plays a position where we need someone.

The only reason to not do this is if the scouts think he's inherently flawed or too far behind since he hasn't yet faced MLB pitching regularly. I could understand that. Otherwise...this would be the kind of aggressive bet I'd love to see.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 06:06 AM)

Well Hahn has said that this money is going to go towards international signings and the like. I wonder if this is the guy on his mind. Getting a legit 30-40 homer guy for 1B would be one way to remake this line up in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
I'm all for going all out for this hitter. I don't want a 5 year rebuild I'd like to make a major step in 2015 and be back to full speed for 2016 and this guy should be in his prime for that.

Getting a guy that is basically Paul Konerko (without knowing really anything about him other than Cuban stats) would go a long way towards "rebuilding"

Any word on who Abreau's agent is?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Getting a guy that is basically Paul Konerko (without knowing really anything about him other than Cuban stats) would go a long way towards "rebuilding"

Any word on who Abreau's agent is?

Sounds like he hasn't settled on one yet. This is all still pretty fresh. He probably wont be able to sign until close to spring training.

A much better alternative to Choo/McCann etc that probably aren't realistic targets anyways. If you are going to drop some cash, do it for a guy who is in his prime who fits an immediate need. Even if there is an acclimation period, you would pencil him into the core of the White Sox when they are hoping to contend in 2015+. Go for it.

Edited by DirtySox

This makes almost too much sense on paper, given the Sox clear need for offense, a first baseman, players that will be able to contribute for the next 5 years, and something to get the payroll over $50m. That said, there's no precedent for them going after a guy like this, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even have a chance on him.

I hope we do though. Something like 6/60 would be the richest deal to one of these guys by far, and even if he was a AAAA hitter, the $10m per year wouldn't kill you. This is a good fit, methinks.