Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Harold's Leg Lift

2021 MLB Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's offical they're using the reverse order of this years winning percentage.  Dumb. 

 

I think it is the most fair thing though. Yeah it punishes over performing teams but still better than weigh last years record twice as much as this year's record 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Because of how many teams actually tried to win baseball games this year, because of the expanded playoffs, the draft order is actually sensible.  It's sad though to see teams like the Marlins punished by it.  Pittsburgh is rewarded for tanking and then MIA, SF, etc. who actually tried get punished.

IMO the draft should go 1-30 with the #1 pick going to the WS winner, #2 to runner up, and down to worst record at #30.  Then reverse it so #31 goes to the team with the worst record and #60 goes to the WS winner, and maybe keep it that way for both the 2nd and 3rd round, then alternate for the rest of the draft between best and worst teams.  And all draft picks must be tradeable.

Also an idea I have personally had for a long time but have never seen shared would be to see 2 expansion teams, who always play road games in all other teams' stadiums, that are made up of unsigned vets, AAAA players, foreign players who sign as UDFA, etc.  Like the guys who end up left over at the end of the offseason and often have to retire, get a spot on these teams.  They only play road games, against everyone equally, and then every season at midseason there is a draft, and the other teams can draft players straight off of this team and use them in season and can pick up a piece or 2 for nothing. 

I would love to see such arrangements because then all teams would try to win as much as possible, and would give important ABs and IP to vets who are performing well, and teams would make deals more for spot-patch improvements to try to win.  Imagine if adding some vets over the season to try to improve from an 85 win team that will miss the playoffs to an 86 or 87 win teams that will miss the playoffs could improve your draft position and chance at both a prospect in one draft and a currently productive vet in a different midseason draft.  I think that would be great.

Really, teams should be allowed to get better even if they win.  And teams should always try to win.  As a fan who just wants to win championships, I always want to either contend as a big fish or rebuild/retool.  But it would be nicer if the system was designed to make teams better that just win.

Wow,.... That would be the dumbest thing ever.. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Jack Leiter was F 93-97 cb 77-79 sl 82-84 today.  He's my top guy in the draft. 

Higher than Rocker? Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any particular draft crushes yet? Particularly ones that might be around at pick 22? Going to start my draft research early in efforts to stop refreshing the La Russa thread(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows what will be available but I like the BA writeups on prep SS Marcelo Mayer and OF James Wood and OF Ethan Wilson and Sal Frelick.

Lots of prep LHP to attack in rounds 2/3.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been tinkering with a mock.  Right now I have them taking Benny Montgomery a tooled up OF from PA.  It looks like they could have some pretty good options of HS school position players and college pitchers to chose from.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've been tinkering with a mock.  Right now I have them taking Benny Montgomery a tooled up OF from PA.  It looks like they could have some pretty good options of HS school position players and college pitchers to chose from.  

How you feel about giving up a 2nd rounder to sign a FA this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worth the thought exercise, but it wouldn't shock me that if the Sox do spend in free agency, that they don't spend in the draft.  I think it is plausible they they would be perfectly fine with giving up draft picks to save the money on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I've been tinkering with a mock.  Right now I have them taking Benny Montgomery a tooled up OF from PA.  It looks like they could have some pretty good options of HS school position players and college pitchers to chose from.  

Early assessment on the strengths of this class? College pitching again perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Early assessment on the strengths of this class? College pitching again perhaps?

My answer isn’t as interesting but according to ye olde baseball America it is prep up the middle talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bmags said:

My answer isn’t as interesting but according to ye olde baseball America it is prep up the middle talent.

Yes plz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1. Pittsburgh Jack Leiter RHP Vanderbilt
2. Texas Jud Fabian OF Florida
3. Detroit Brady House SS Winder-Burrow HS
4. Boston Kumar Rocker RHP Vanderbilt
5. Baltimore Matt McLain SS UCLA
6. Arizona Adrian Del Castillo C Miami
7. Kansas City Christian Franklin OF Arkansas
8. Colorado Jordan Lawlar SS Jesuit HS
9. LA Angels Jaden Hill RHP LSU
10. NY Mets Gunner Hogland RHP Ole Miss
11. Washington Robby Martin OF Florida St
12. Seattle Marcelo Mayer SS Eastlake HS
13. Philadelphia Jonathan Cannon RHP Georgia
14. San Francisco Ethan Wilson OF S. Alabama
15. Milwaukee Alex Binelas 3B Louisville
16. Miami Izaac Pacheco OF Friendswood HS
17. Cincinnati Andrew Painter RHP Calvary HS
18. St Louis James Wood OF IMG Academy
19. Toronto Colton Cowser OF Sam Houston St
20. NY Yankees Levi Usher OF Louisville
21. Chicago Cubs Jordan Wicks LHP Kansas St
22. Chicago WS Tyree Reed OF American HS
23. Cleveland Chase Petty RHP Mainland HS
24. Atlanta Joshua Baez OF Dexter  HS
25. Oakland Sal Frelick OF Boston College
26. Minnesota JP Massey RHP Minnesota
27. San Diego Ryan Cusick RHP Wake Forest
28. Tampa Jackson Jobe RHP Heritage Hall HS
29. LA Dodgers McCade Brown RHP Indiana
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:
1. Pittsburgh Jack Leiter RHP Vanderbilt
2. Texas Jud Fabian OF Florida
3. Detroit Brady House SS Winder-Burrow HS
4. Boston Kumar Rocker RHP Vanderbilt
5. Baltimore Matt McLain SS UCLA
6. Arizona Adrian Del Castillo C Miami
7. Kansas City Christian Franklin OF Arkansas
8. Colorado Jordan Lawlar SS Jesuit HS
9. LA Angels Jaden Hill RHP LSU
10. NY Mets Gunner Hogland RHP Ole Miss
11. Washington Robby Martin OF Florida St
12. Seattle Marcelo Mayer SS Eastlake HS
13. Philadelphia Jonathan Cannon RHP Georgia
14. San Francisco Ethan Wilson OF S. Alabama
15. Milwaukee Alex Binelas 3B Louisville
16. Miami Izaac Pacheco OF Friendswood HS
17. Cincinnati Andrew Painter RHP Calvary HS
18. St Louis James Wood OF IMG Academy
19. Toronto Colton Cowser OF Sam Houston St
20. NY Yankees Levi Usher OF Louisville
21. Chicago Cubs Jordan Wicks LHP Kansas St
22. Chicago WS Tyree Reed OF American HS
23. Cleveland Chase Petty RHP Mainland HS
24. Atlanta Joshua Baez OF Dexter  HS
25. Oakland Sal Frelick OF Boston College
26. Minnesota JP Massey RHP Minnesota
27. San Diego Ryan Cusick RHP Wake Forest
28. Tampa Jackson Jobe RHP Heritage Hall HS
29. LA Dodgers McCade Brown RHP Indiana

Reed would be a dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The number of rounds hasn't been determined yet but it will not be 40.  Those days are gone.  It will be between 20-30 rounds with 20 being the most likely.  

Hey how do you feel about Joe Mack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hey how do you feel about Joe Mack

I'm anti HS catcher. The history of HS catchers in the upper rounds is a wasteland of bad picks. It's the riskiest profile in the draft.  The bat has to be truly special so when he inevitably has to move off the position he can stick on a corner.  Mack has a pretty good bat but I wouldn't put him in the special category.  I think they will have much better options at 1-22.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm anti HS catcher. The history of HS catchers in the upper rounds is a wasteland of bad picks. It's the riskiest profile in the draft.  The bat has to be truly special so when he inevitably has to move off the position he can stick on a corner.  Mack has a pretty good bat but I wouldn't put him in the special category.  I think they will have much better options at 1-22.  

Now that we're at 22 and not top ten I'm trying to familiarize myself with the profiles I wouldn't touch. BAs writeup is pretty nice though.

I would say in general I'd prefer they stick with multi-sport, projectable, athletic players who didn't quite put it all together in HS.

My guess for player the sox will be connected to a lot but not draft is Sal Frelick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will most likely be 20 rounds. This might be the only time ever where I'd recommend a college heavy approach. They just dont have anywhere for prep players to play right now. There are already like 10 outfielders in AZL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Now that we're at 22 and not top ten I'm trying to familiarize myself with the profiles I wouldn't touch. BAs writeup is pretty nice though.

I would say in general I'd prefer they stick with multi-sport, projectable, athletic players who didn't quite put it all together in HS.

My guess for player the sox will be connected to a lot but not draft is Sal Frelick.

My early favorite for the pick is Wake Forest RHP Ryan Cusick. Not the player I'd take necessarily but just a way early prediction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Now that we're at 22 and not top ten I'm trying to familiarize myself with the profiles I wouldn't touch. BAs writeup is pretty nice though.

I would say in general I'd prefer they stick with multi-sport, projectable, athletic players who didn't quite put it all together in HS.

My guess for player the sox will be connected to a lot but not draft is Sal Frelick.

Ugh. They can be connected to him as long as they don't draft him.  Frelick is not my kind of guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ugh. They can be connected to him as long as they don't draft him.  Frelick is not my kind of guy.

I can't remember the last time sox were connected correctly. They still do the "sox like college picks" which is true but they also get it pretty off.

2016 was a lot of kyle lewis (which they should have!)

2017 was all about Jeren Kendall

2018 I'm not going to claim wasn't madrigal heavy, but it was also a ton of Brady Singer

2019 was top 3 pick so i'm not counting it, not hard to figure out top 3.

2020 was a lot of Detmers/Bailey

And I don't know what to say, he doesn't have the Team USA connection, but for some reason I see this and think this is going to be the guy they put on the sox:

13. Sal Frelick, OF, Boston College
Gatorade's Massachusetts High School Football Player of the Year in 2017, Frelick also starred in baseball and hockey as a prepster. While he's not overly physical at 5-foot-9 and 175 pounds, he could have three plus tools in his bat, speed and center-field defense, and he might develop average power.

I kinda think it might just be college player that the college baseball media scouts all love that they aren't getting great feedback on from team-side evaluators they just would put on the white sox because the love college. Or maybe the jeren kendall year was just too influential on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×